GA_Eagle

What was the last movie you watched?

I actually went and saw Ghostbusters. I thought it was better than I was expecting it to be. I tried keeping it separate from the originals in my mind. Hard at times, but I managed. Overall it was just OK, but honestly wouldn't mind seeing a sequel. I actually liked Kate McKinnon's character best, i think.

Going to see Lights Out tomorrow and I may see Star Trek today as it is my day off. The theater is the one place where I can just totally escape from the world for a few hours, which is really nice.

Trumbo.

8.5/10.

Solid movie. Comes off as more of a comedy, since none of the stakes actually feel like they have any weight, than a particularly serious movie, but it's entertaining. David James Elliot as John Wayne was kinda jarring, but diff'rent strokes...

Lights Out was a little disappointing. Still a solid and above average horror film for this day and age though in my mind. A little predictable, but James Wan is just an extraordinary film maker.

Star Trek Beyond was excellent, as to be expected. Kinda weird seeing Anton Yelchin on there, but this is such a great cast that fits Star Trek so well, IMO. Idris Elba was great, but as a character, I don't think you really get the brevity or depth of understanding until the last 20 minutes which takes away from the whole experience. Sofia Boutella was a nice and welcomed addition. And what a nice tribute to Leonard Nimoy. Awesome to see.

Love, Love, Love these movies. I hope they keep making them.

Suicide Squad.

Man what a shitshow. Opening was alright..but the plot was very...spotty and the thing was just all over the place. The Joker and Harley were decent, outside of that..it was pretty lame.

4.5/10

Dog Eat Dog looks like it could be fun. Pairs Cage & Defoe back up from last we saw them together in Wild at Heart. If it gets US distribution and is in theaters I'm down otherwise I'll watch it on the net. :notbad:

http://theplaylist.net/nicolas-cage-willem-dafoe-get-crazy-first-trailer-paul-schraders-dog-eat-dog-20160806/

trailer isn't on youtube so gotta watch it in the embeded vid in link.

The Nice Guys

Light, funny, fun. Just like Shane Black's other good one Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Just like that one too it's got a mystery that unfolds as it goes on. Just a good flick to kick back and watch one day.

Lights Out was a little disappointing. Still a solid and above average horror film for this day and age though in my mind. A little predictable, but James Wan is just an extraordinary film maker.

Star Trek Beyond was excellent, as to be expected. Kinda weird seeing Anton Yelchin on there, but this is such a great cast that fits Star Trek so well, IMO. Idris Elba was great, but as a character, I don't think you really get the brevity or depth of understanding until the last 20 minutes which takes away from the whole experience. Sofia Boutella was a nice and welcomed addition. And what a nice tribute to Leonard Nimoy. Awesome to see.

Love, Love, Love these movies. I hope they keep making them.

It wasn't too bad. Although I went in thinking it was the Blind guy movie who was being robbed :notamused:

Edited by Bucman

It wasn't too bad. Although I went in thinking it was the Blind guy movie who was being robbed :notamused:

Oh ya, not bad. Better than most horror movies of this era, imo. Not as good as like Cabin in the Woods or Conjuring -- but that is OK. It also sucked because I had people siting behind me... on the floor. Cackling and talking almost the entire time. Kind of annoying. Lol

Saw Ice Age, pretty decent. I think I am kind of getting tired of these though. There are just so many characters now. Ha

I went to Suicide Squad yesterday and it definitely suffered from a lot of the same drawbacks as BvS, felt too cobbled together, too predictable, and they expected you to care about the characters after about 30 seconds of background.

That said, it was a very good excuse for some ridiculous action and blowing shit up, so if that's what you're looking for you'll get it.

Sausage Party.

I am so immature.... But this was funny. Especially the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes. The stuff in between wasn't bad.

I went to Suicide Squad yesterday and it definitely suffered from a lot of the same drawbacks as BvS, felt too cobbled together, too predictable, and they expected you to care about the characters after about 30 seconds of background.

That said, it was a very good excuse for some ridiculous action and blowing shit up, so if that's what you're looking for you'll get it.

I was bored one night and started up a completely legal viewing allegedly and had to X out of it within the first 15-20 minutes because the exposition was so forced and the quick cuts were completely out of control and immediately took me out of the movie. It annoyed me that much. :lol: Then I randomly saw an article about how when test screening viewers said it was too dark or depressing they hired the bros that edited together the trailer to make it more like the trailer and it was basically a 2 hour and 10 minute trailer with added in one liner jokes to be more Marvel like :lol: Another case of too many cooks, Massive L.

In other news I finally saw Mad Max: Fury Road this morning because I woke up at 5 am and had nothing to do. Some doooope visuals and cinematography. The female empowerment theme is kind of played these days since so many films since then have gone that route (my fault for seeing it so late really though) but looking past that small thing in the grand scale that was a really badass action flick. Love practical effects/real stunts and this had it in spades. Never took me out of the movie with tons of fake looking CGI like so many other action films do these days. The number of different modified vehicles and their attack/defense mechanisms were so dope. Just a really cool action film that felt unique.

Sausage Party.

I am so immature.... But this was funny. Especially the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes. The stuff in between wasn't bad.

The end of Sausage Party is sooo awful. Part of me really wanted to walk out lol.

Got this movie from Redbox called The Lobster.

Did not expect much but was pleasantly surprised. A little weird but had funny moments and an interesting premise.

The end of Sausage Party is sooo awful. Part of me really wanted to walk out lol.

If you mean absolutely fucking hilarious, ya. It probably makes a lot of people uncomfortable. Seth Rogen master piece cinema right there.

Creed

I finally got around to this yesterday night and I gotta say I loved it. I really liked the build up, it felt very much like Rocky 1 to me which as it's a role reversal seeing Rocky Help Creed was awesome. Also the fact that they gave Adonis his own prefight hype video using Philly now with the bikes and Quads was awesome. Seeing Tony Bellew in as the main protagonist was awesome plus the other cameos and Rocky plot twist, it made me want to go through the whole series.

I am hoping they do make a second as there is no way it can be left as that and I hope Michael B Jordon returns as Adonis.

BvS. The regular version, not the extended one.

Just a big ol' pile of meh. Feels like there was too much there and stuff just lacked cohesion. Batfleck was alright. Eisenluthor was ok as well, but moreso in the sense that I didn't really feel he was playing Lex so there was a weird disconnect there. I couldn't help but picture a guy like Bryan Cranston delivering some of the lines while he was talking. Combat scenes were largely terrible. Everything was so overproduced that I felt like I was watching a CGI movie instead of something that was live action. I thought the reveal of the other Justice League peeps was pretty good. It was never a focus or a formal introduction, just a couple clips to show they're out there, and then it moved on. Seems like a minor thing to like, but I thought it was a nice touch. Also, the ending should've had a sense of finality, but it lingered to long and turned into hope, I think the former would've worked a lot better.

So, yeah, I'm not sure I need to see it again. Though I am curious how much better the extended version makes it.

7/10

Piles of meh get 7 / 10. Nice! Lol.

Watched both Ben-Hur flms. The older one is long, but actually has a cohesive story and means something, expanding on ideas and thoughts of the day. The new one wants to dazzle you with CGI and stunts an pointless drama. The actors did a solid job, but the script was just garbage. There were maybe 2 good scenes in the whole movie (chariot race, where the CGI actually helps and jesus' crucifixion which was beautifully shot and powerful

Ben Hur 1959 - 3 / 5

Ben Hur 2016 - 2 / 5

Sully

Tom Hanks is just fantastic. Aaron Eckhart is a great co-pilot and brings some much needed comic relief throughout the movie as well. Anna Gunn and Mike O'Malley make for some solid 'villains' if there is such a thing in this film. And seeing Skyler White get embarrassed and ' told ' was both amusing and rewarding. Fun to watch and see some of the stuff behind the scenes regarding the Miracle on the Hudson and into the mind of Sully. Clint Eastwood is just a fantastic director, if you weren't aware already. With that said, this film didn't have as much power or strength as some of these other biopics or retellings that we see. Can't exactly put my finger on why..

8.5 / 10

I mean, it's not bad, it's just not good.

Meh.

Obviously we can all have our own scales, so do what you wish. :D. 7 / 10 in my mind though is a solid and good movie but not really anything special.

This is one of the worst movies ever... 6/ 10

About to see Don't Breathe. Been wanting to see this one. Will edit after Ive seen it.

I gotta watch the original Last House on the Left. Heard it's pretty messed up. Ever see it Spart?

Boyhood. What a great, one-of-a-kind movie. It's not the kind of flick you fist pump and say, "Wow, what an awesome movie!" at the end of it, but it definitely grows on you. Just a beautiful concept for a movie, and great acting all around (which seems more impressive for a movie of this type). I especially like that they essentially constructed the movie out of the little moments, not the big ones, because hey, that's how life works.

Why the fuck Birdman won Best Picture over this is beyond me.

Edit: It also has a kickass soundtrack, especially this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMVc0vG4K_k

Edited by SteVo
  • Upvote 1

Obviously we can all have our own scales, so do what you wish. :D. 7 / 10 in my mind though is a solid and good movie but not really anything special.

This is one of the worst movies ever... 6/ 10

On the other hand, great movies like Fight Club get a 5/7.

Boyhood. What a great, one-of-a-kind movie. It's not the kind of flick you fist pump and say, "Wow, what an awesome movie!" at the end of it, but it definitely grows on you. Just a beautiful concept for a movie, and great acting all around (which seems more impressive for a movie of this type). I especially like that they essentially constructed the movie out of the little moments, not the big ones, because hey, that's how life works.

Why the fuck Birdman won Best Picture over this is beyond me.

Edit: It also has a kickass soundtrack, especially this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMVc0vG4K_k

I said the same thing at the time... It was a great look at life and it just made you feel things. Real emotion based on those little moments. It was fantastic.

• Upvote 1