GA_Eagle

What was the last movie you watched?

Polar.  Much more entertaining than I thought it would be, even though the violence got gratuitous and distracting at times.  Mikkelsen was solid.  At this point he basically strikes me as the Danish version of Liam Neeson...am I the only one who gets that vibe?

This happens again in the trailer.

ad98e07bc6ea4f6440b5a89e2fe42c389b26d1f7

Enjoyable.

So yeah, John Wick 3.

Enjoyable, though I'd probably rank 'em 2 > 3 > 1.  Three can't be first because, well, you just gotta see it.  Kinda wish we had more moments and tone of the last forty or so minutes sprinkled throught-out the rest of the movie, but such is life.

I will say though, I am sorta tired of these movies having violent scenes that end up sticking with me.  Two had a couple, and this one is the same way.   It's just not "fun", and kinda puts a wet blanket on the overall feel of things.

Godzilla. AMAZING

I mean, it isn't going to win any awards.. But it was sooooo much fun. Still a little too much human drama BS but Kyle Chandler, Vera Farmiga, Millie Bobby Brown, and Ken Watanabe made it almost tolerable (which is a huge compliment). Charles Dance

was good but kind of disappointing because he didn't really do anything until the post credits scene. It was kind of weird having him in this movie but he does set up Godzilla 3 so whatever.

I could watch giant monsters beating the shit out of each other all day.

Saw it tonight too.

Godzilla '14 is a better film, but KotM is a better spectacle, I guess would be the best way to put it.  '14 is better shot (I'd really like to see Gareth Edwards version of KotM, but alas), and I at least cared for a couple of the characters in it.  The pacing in KotM makes it to where I don't really care about any of the primary characters (except one, sort of), which sort of hurts it.  It needed to slow down, but given the events that take place, it can't.  It also needs to make certain emotional arcs actually deserved and have worth instead of it just happening with the expectation that you're just supposed to feel bad because of what's happening.

Mainly talking about the end of Vera Farmiga.  Movie makes it seem like I'm supposed to feel bad that she didn't get on the plane and then got pwnt. But nah.

Monsters are cool though. Godzilla powering up his atomic breath never gets old ('14 handled that better too, but it's still cool in this one), and the final fight is probably the best, and coolest part of the movie (as it should be). 

Super Saiyan Godzilla melting a city just by walking though it.

:phew:

Some of the set pieces are pretty neat too and it would've been cool if we spent a lil more time on them. Looking at you...

Atlantis, or whatever Godzilla's home was.

but I guess we just gotta go fast...

Also, shoutout to the music.  Godzilla's theme gave me serious One Winged Angel vibes (Is it the chanting? It's probably the chanting) the couple times it popped up, thought those were cool moments.  Not sure the last time was that I actually cared about a particular theme in a movie.

If the post-credits scene is an indicator, Godzilla vs. Kong is gonna be nuts.  And by nuts, I mean, absurd. Though it's probably gonna need to be to get as much crammed into these as possible because I'm not sure how many, if any at all, we're gonna get after GvK since it doesn't seem like KotM had a great opening weekend...

Edited by Vin

Vin, you need to go watch Days of Our Lives or As the World Turns or some bullshit. 

EDIT: Also, it's already grossed more than 130M dollars overseas, which is where they they were focusing their attention anyway. Not gonna be a runaway hit moneywise, but it will finish more than fine in a few weeks IMO.

Edited by DalaiLama4Ever

8 minutes ago, DalaiLama4Ever said:

Vin, you need to go watch Days of Our Lives or As the World Turns or some bullshit.

:nope:

EDIT: Also, it's already grossed more than 130M dollars overseas, which is where they they were focusing their attention anyway. Not gonna be a runaway hit moneywise, but it will finish more than fine in a few weeks IMO.

Yeah, I looked it up right after I posted. Overseas numbers seem good.  It's just gotta do good enough so we get more. Hopefully I'll still have that same opinion after GvK.

Only $385 mil WW for Godzilla. :welp:

Saw The Lion King today.

It's just kinda, eh.  The realism angle with talking and, unfortunately, singing animals feels weird and goofy in places (Mufasa yelling while falling to his death is one example).  There's also part of me that sides with the "Hire actual voices actors to do animated movies instead of names" crowd after this.  Beyonce is sorta bad in this, and Billy Eichner has been annoying in pretty much everything I've seen (or heard, in this case) him in.

Maybe I'm just old now.

I loved the Lion King (just got back from it).Some of the voices did stick out a bit... Donald Glover was awesome though, IMO. John Oliver (Zazu) and Chiwetel Ejiofor (Scar) were the biggest disappointments for me. Billy Eichner at first struck me as bad, but he grew on me as the movie went on.  That Mufasa falling scene was indeed the worst scene, visually speaking in the movie. I don't usually hone in one something like that hardcore during the movie, but that stood out like a sore thumb.

I think Disney has missed on their villains pretty hardcore their last few movies. Scar was kind of a let down for me and Jafar was trash tier. 

I think they failed Rafiki too. Voice was meh and seems like they scaled his character back. The scene (in the animated version) where he figures out Simba is still alive is one of my favorites. The slow burn (over a couple of minutes) of Rafiki siting up in his tree and slowly realizing what he has come across, the cracking off the coconut (or whatever thing that is) and using that residue to paint on the mane of the face of simba to symbolize the roots he crushes and puts on Simbas forehead when he's a baby... the crazed laughter as he he's painting that mane. It might be a small scene to a lot of people and I get that, but it was a really significant and vivid memory for me. They jsut rushed it way too much in the live action version with a shittier Rafiki and too much build up with the hair being carried by the birds, shit out by the giraffe, rolled by the dung beetle, carried by ants etc... Even though that was all cool, it felt like they added all that to take away from Rafiki. No thanks.

The realism was almost too real for me when it comes to the characters / animals. but the scenery and atmosphere and everything was also CGI / photo realistic and it was gorgeous. I appreciated and demanded a very close live action carbon copy of the original, and that's what we got. 

I liked it much much more than I thought. Not as great as the cartoon, but an overall good effort. Probably like 7/10... 6.5 maybe.

Edited by DalaiLama4Ever
  • Upvote 1

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/matrix-4-keanu-reeves-carrie-anne-moss-lana-wachowski-1203307955/

Get ready to re-enter the Matrix.

Lana Wachowski is set to write and direct a fourth film set in the world of “The Matrix,” with Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss reprising their roles as Neo and Trinity, respectively.

Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures will produce and globally distribute the film. Warner Bros. Picture Group chairman Toby Emmerich made the announcement on Tuesday.

“We could not be more excited to be re-entering ‘The Matrix’ with Lana,” said Emmerich. “Lana is a true visionary — a singular and original creative filmmaker — and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in ‘The Matrix’ universe.”

In addition to Wachowski, the script was also written by Aleksandar Hemon and David Mitchell. Wachowski is also producing with Grant Hill. Sources say the film is eyed to begin production at the top of 2020.

Warner Bros. has been trying for the last of couple years to find a way to get back into “The Matrix” universe, but a hold-up over producing rights slowed the project down. Over the past couple of months, the studio saw an opportunity to ramp up development, with Reeves boasting a strong summer that included box office hits “John Wick 3” and “Toy Story 4” and a script from Wachowski that drummed up excitement.

Plot details are currently unknown, as is how the role of Morpheus will be handled, originally played by Laurence Fishburne. Some sources say the role may be recast for a younger take.

The three previous films —“The Matrix,” “The Matrix Reloaded” and “The Matrix Revolutions” — have collectively earned more than $1.6 billion at the global box office. All three were written and directed by Lana and her sister, Lilly, and starred Reeves and Moss.

“Many of the ideas Lilly and I explored 20 years ago about our reality are even more relevant now. I’m very happy to have these characters back in my life and grateful for another chance to work with my brilliant friends,” Wachowski said.

The first “Matrix” had its 20th anniversary this year, marked by special screenings at select AMC locations starting on Aug. 30.

Wachowski is represented by WME, Circle of Confusion and attorney Peter Grossman. Reeves is represented by WME and Ziffren Brittenham. Moss is represented by WME, longtime manager Elizabeth Hodgson and attorney Bob Lange.

Sorta feels like the narrative surrounding Matrix movies have shifted since their release.  Curious to see what direction this one is gonna take.

Edited by Vin

Brightburn.  Kind of torn.  Entertaining enough, but didn't do nearly as much as it could have with such a cool premise. 

Trbl name, but hopefully this will be a good send off for Mr. Craig.

Went to see Cats....it is hard to explain....but I honestly don't think it is different than the play....I think the play is just not suited to be a movie and of course....the VFX is not up to the point this movie needed it to be. 

Reading Twitter reviews of Cats has been immensely enjoyable.

Last thing I saw prior to Star Wars was Knives Out.  Really enjoyable movie.

So I finally got around to seeing the latest Star Wars movie...wow. It was just an utter train wreck lol. 

Oh man I forgot about this thread! Wife and I really tried to see most of the Oscar-nominated movies this year. I won't give reviews on all of 'em but this would be my "best of 2019" ranking.

1. Marriage Story
  2. 1917
  3. Parasite
  4. The Irishman
  5. Little Women
  6. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Ford vs. Ferrari. Good movie, though not knowing the story behind it makes it sorta less enjoyable. 

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Kinda meh? The movies parts are greater than the whole.  Rick Dalton is a moron, and not really an endearing moron, just a moron.   Really glad we get to see Margot Robbie's feet a few times, that was neat.  Last half hour or so is the best part of the movie, so at least it's got that going for it.

What did you think of Dolittle, I know how much you enjoyed the trailers. 

I'll let you know when I see it.

Waiting to get it on Blu Ray. Smart dude.

All the big movies this year were way overrated. 1917 was good from a moviemaking standpoint I guess if your into the whole behind the camera thing. Other than that, I thought it was rather boring most of the time. 

Parasite was okay too but it’s just not what it was talked up to be. 

After reflecting on the Irishman, I wanted to like it so bad but it’s just not a good movie. There’s some good scenes and good roles from some people. 

Once upon a time is by far my favorite movie of the year. 

Starship Troopers.  Still hoping for a reboot one of these days. 

Ad Astra.

Can definitely see why people wouldn't like it, but I really enjoyed it.