GA_Eagle

What was the last movie you watched?

I'm looking forward to watching a mostly fictitious movie. American Sniper is at the top of the list.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm looking forward to watching a mostly fictitious movie. American Sniper is at the top of the list.

Honestly, controversy about the facts aside, its a great movie. Bradley Cooper was phenomenal.

• Upvote 1

Hunger Games Part III. Girlfriend has wanted to see it for some time, but for some reason I was completely unenthused despite quite iking the first two. We both walked out highly disappointed.

Stevo and others have said that splitting the 2nd book into two movies was a cash grab and I can definitely see that, Hopefully the meat shows up in the next film.

Edited by Zack_of_Steel

Still need to watch PT&A, but a few nights ago I popped in Clue. Never get tired of watching it, really fun film. Tim Curry is awesome (especially in the final 1/2 hour) and it has such a great cast in general.

Big Hero 6. It was not bad.

American Sniper. Bradley Cooper and Clint Eastwood at their very best. The war scenes are suspenseful (think The Hurt Locker with more gunfire) and the home scenes are poignant. One of the best war movies in quite some time, and man, Bradley Cooper is something else.

I've never been to a movie where everyone was dead silent walking out of it. I've been hearing that was the reaction all over the country, too. I'm glad to see this type of movie had that effect on the audience.

Same thing happened when I saw it. :yep:

• Upvote 1

Last night when I went and watched American Sniper was the weirdest thing after the movie. Nobody got up from their seat for about minutes. It was a good movie. Really humbling.

Paddington Bear with my sons!

Awesome movie that took me back to childhood as I read the series when I was younger!

• Upvote 1

really just the first minute and a half of that clip, I need to watch that movie again

really just the first minute and a half of that clip, I need to watch that movie again

That scene was insanely funny just like pretty much the entirety of the film. :rofl:

Got a ton of movies to watch, started tonight with:

Interstellar - 8.9/10 - I loved this movie. It was wild, and at times (a lot of the times) pretty confusing, but Christopher Nolan put out a masterful narrative the likes of which I haven't seen in a good while. When I saw the 169 minute runtime, I was like "Jesus, really?" but those minutes flew by for me, and I was thoroughly gripped by it. It could certainly have a higher rating, but there are too many things in it that are either left entirely unexplained, or need to be emboldened by the viewer's imagination. Predominantly:

Why did distant future humans need to create the wormhole and the singularity tesseract in order to save humanity if it very clearly survived anyway? Or is this in fact how they survived? Time/Space theory is kind of insane.

That kind of stuff just left me feeling slightly unsatisfied, but I'm probably thinking about it too much. I definitely cried a bunch at a couple different points in the movie, but I'm kind of a sap. For satisfaction's sake, I watched the next movie.

John Wick - 7.5/10 - Not quite the grand scale or the intense plot of Interstellar, but I found it completely enjoyable and a great ride. Sometimes a good 'ol fashion revenge thriller is exactly what you need to get your mind off of your incredible insignificance in an infinitely expanding universe. Does a great job of making you hate the bad guys, and an equally great job of making you feel good watching them all die. Can definitely tell it was directed by a stuntman. FWIW, has an 83% score on Rotten Tomatoes, 11% higher than interstellar.

I just saw The Interview. It was pretty funny and enjoyable. 7/10

The Imitation Game - 4.5/5

The brilliance and auspicious story-telling revealed in The Imitation Game is bound only by the limits of which Benedict Cumberbatch can take it.

Cumberbatch's portrayal of Alan Turing is complex, profound, and unyielding. Every crevice is explored and no rock left unturned of the intricate and enigmatic genius of Mr. Turing. To say Cumberbatch did the role proud and Turing just would be an understatement.

An unheralded and oft untold historical perspective, The Imitation Game does much more than simply unfold a tale before our eyes. No... Morten Tyldum, Graham Moore, and the cast build a world shrouded in secrecy and doubt. It's all so real during a time in which the world was engulfed in madness and chaos.

The levels of depth unearthed by this film is truly remarkable. Sometimes it is the people and things that we imagine nothing of who go on to do things we can hardly begin to imagine.

------------------------------------

Benedict Cumberbatch is one of a kind... Truly one of the best story tellers and actors of this generation. He is magical... He really takes these people... these characters... and gets everything out of them. Remarkable.

---------------------------------------

Selma - 4/5

A story of conviction that fuels the fire of justice and righteousness -- Selma soars high above the rest. The film excels on multiple fronts in the name of justice, whether it be social, political, or otherwise. The message is clear, concise, and divulged to the audience through raw emotion and passion.
The leader of that emotion and passion comes from the highly spirited performance from David Oyelowo as Dr. King. Oyelowo brings King to life and does a fantastic job of showing the layers of the person beyond the struggle during the Civil Rights Movement. The personal and social dilemmas are vital to the story of who King was an not only an activist, but as a man, and that is brought to the forefront by Oyelowo.
The film produced some wonderful cinematography... Different shots of the various marches or the manner in which the violence was captured, for example, transform this into a piece of art.
With that said, I did find the film to be slightly longer than I felt necessary. It seemed like Selma could have been even more powerful if it left a few scenes on the chopping room floor to shorten the length just slightly.
The musical and sound arrangements were well produced and organized, and it is fair to say that Selma is well deserving of every award or nomination it may get. There is a bit of a fury regarding the lack of nominations, but there is no need to get into an uproar... Good things happen to those who exhibit patience and peacefully revolt against what they believe to be unjust.

Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 1

Birdman 3.5/5

From Batman to Birdman, Michael Keaton leads us into a dark and psychotic place far from yet still intertwined in reality. Keaton's character, Riggan, has lost everything. His money, his fame, his love for life, and his family. He has nothing but the teasing and toiling of his own complex to entertain, torture, and twist him further down the rabbit hole.
As great as Keaton is in the film, Birdman above other films, seems truly collaborative. The cast from top to bottom is poignant and real. Ed Norton, Amy Ryan, Zach Galifianakis, Lindsey Duncan, Emma Stone -- these people take the film from what it is and elevate it even further.
The manner in which the film was shot was pretty genius and really added to the depth and reality that Birdman was trying to capture. Making the film appear as if it was one long continuous shot was brilliant. Above the great acting and dark commentary on life -- it was maybe this aspect and device that shot the film into stardom.
However, the ending of the film seemed even more destructive than the commentary itself. The entire film works so incredibly hard at building this darkness... A reality of self-doubt, turmoil, and sin that gets thrashed and deconstructed in the final 5 minutes.
It's true that the final act leaves a lot up in the air. But in the end, Riggan gets everything he ever wanted. The film, lauded by many, as a true exposition of the hardships of the acting world, gives everything to it's title character... It makes all of the craziness, delusion, and ego worth the time.
Riggan receives his positive review, he receives the fame and adoration he lost since leaving the set of Birdman, he returns to the loving embrace of his former wife and daughter... For a film so focused on the loss and the pain of loss, Riggan comes out quite the winner. For that, he and Birdman as a whole lost their edge. In return... they get my, moderate, approval.
==========================================================
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies -- 3.5/5
It's been a long and harrowing 20 year journey through middle-earth, and it has at last come to an end. No doubt still pondering why this creation took three installments, if it wasn't obvious before, it is now -- that decision came at the detriment of the collective films overall quality.
I asked myself at the end of Desolation of Smaug why Jackson couldn't simply bring an end to that conflict, and now I see why. The conscious decision was made to weaken Desolation of Smaug in order to open this film up with a little action. All of the tension, angst, and excitement that the previous film brought to the table swiftly died in the year we have been waiting for Five Armies.
The action sequences were well received, which is all but par for the course at this point. The most intriguing aspect of the film unravels in the form Thorin's downward spiral towards the greed and allure of spoils that befall him. It's a dark and twisting path, with an uplifting and sad demise.
The rest of the film follows in a similar path as the previous installments -- except for the fact that the meat of the action was left for Battle of Five Armies. In the previous films, I got my fill of story and narrative and yearned for action. This film is the opposite, you get the action, drawn out in one long continuous battle, but it really lacks the narrative or depth beyond the perils of Thorin Oakenshield.
Edited by Favre4Ever
  • Upvote 2

Just watched the Interview, was actually pretty funny and didn't find it all that controversial...

American Sniper. Definitely lived up to my hype. One of the better movies I've seen.

Gonna watch The Babadook later, probably.