Sign in to follow this  
HadenIsland23

Jordan Jefferson’s unquestionably the starter as LSU exits spring

Jordan Jefferson’s unquestionably the starter as LSU exits spring

jordan-jefferson.jpg?w=250

There’s a headline that I really, really didn’t believe I’d be writing at any point this year.

Following an abysmal 2010 campaign, Jordan Jefferson entered spring practice in a three-way battle for his starting job with Jarrett Lee and transfer Zach Mettenberger. Many, myself included, felt it was a matter of when, not if, the latter took over as the starter. However, Jefferson put together a strong effort throughout the whole of the spring sessions, prompting Les Miles to place him atop the QB pecking order a week ago.

And, as the Tigers exited spring practice Saturday with the playing of the spring game, Jefferson’s stranglehold on the job has only gotten tighter.

“His spring, the body of work, is what has put him in the position he’s in,†Miles said after confirming Jefferson’s spot atop the depth chart.

“I think he wants to lead this team. I think he wants to have a great final campaign. I think he realizes he’s more capable than he has played. He wants to take the team at a time when he can provide leadership and make them better. He’s more knowledgeable, certainly more capable.

“I think winning is the key piece and I think that’s what Jordan Jefferson is — a winner.â€

Perhaps just as stunning as Mettenberger’s failure to take the starting job from Jefferson was the ex-Georgia Bulldog’s inability to leapfrog Lee into the position of Jefferson’s primary backup. At least for now, and until the battle resumes in summer camp, it appears Lee will tentatively assume the No. 2 position and be next in line should Jefferson return to his 2010 form.

Regardless of just who is under center on the bayou, though, Miles & Company absolutely have to have better, more consistent play from the position. If they get that, even just average production? Look out, SEC.

If Mettenberger doesn't win the job, LSU won't win the title. THey can't win the national championship with jefferson, and that's saying something.