Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Rehab institute releases paralyzed Eric LeGrand

By Kieran Darcy

ESPNNewYork.com

NEW YORK -- Eric LeGrand, the Rutgers defensive tackle who was paralyzed from the neck down in a game against Army last October, was released from the Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation in West Orange, N.J., on Wednesday, and will reside at his aunt's home in Jackson, N.J., for the near future.

LeGrand had been at the Kessler Institute since Nov. 8.

"This is an exciting day for me to return to living with family," said LeGrand, in a statement released by Rutgers. "My family and I can't thank Kessler enough for all of the tremendous care and support I received as I continue rehab from my injury. It has meant so much to me to receive so many well wishes and prayers from everyone."

LeGrand fractured his C3 and C4 vertebrae making a head-first tackle on a kickoff return in a game at New Meadowlands Stadium against Army on Oct. 16. He has sensation in his body since the injury and can shrug his shoulders, but he has been unable to move his arms or legs since being hurt.

Going forward, LeGrand will continue the rehab process as an outpatient, visiting the Kessler Rehabilitation Center in Ocean Township twice a week, and returning to the Kessler Institute once a week. LeGrand had a tracheotomy last week.

LeGrand made his first public appearance in February to attend a "Laugh to Heal Comedy Fest Fundraiser" for him at the Rutgers Athletic Center.

It was his second trip to the university since the injury. He also joined his teammates for the first team meeting of the semester in January.

The Avenel resident resumed his coursework in January via video conference.

Source: ESPN

Good to hear that he is making progress to returning to normal life even if it is slow. Much be scary as shit to suffer an injury like that through the game you love and have to scramble to get your life back together.

There continues to be great news coming from the Eric LeGrand camp today.

The Rutgers defensive lineman has been making significant strides since a neck injury paralyzed him from the neck down last October and today — one week after mentioning he was moving his arms “little by little†— LeGrand tweeted a photo of himself standing with the assistance of a machine.

The caption read “Standing tall, we can’t fall. Standing upright again.â€

(That lump in your throat, along with the heart palpitations, should subside in about 10 minutes)

Rutgers did not say if the update by LeGrand was a significant step in his recovery efforts. Regardless, LeGrand has come a long way and any progress is worth mentioning.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/13/eric-legrand-tweets-a-picture-worth-a-standing-ovation/

Incredible news.

Trident, that is fantastic news. Thank you for sharing it. So glad to hear that he is recovering.

I follow him on twitter, and it's amazing to not only see his progression, but also his courage.