Sign in to follow this  
Bangy

Steve Smith Thought Bout Retirement due to wifes illness

CHARLOTTE – Carolina Panthers star receiver Steve Smith said he recently contemplated retiring from the NFL after his wife Angie became ill earlier this offseason.

The Smiths feared she might have a disease called Lupus, although thorough medical examinations revealed last Friday she didn’t. She’s currently resting and doing better and Smith has refocused himself on the football season ahead.

“Retiring at that time was one of the things I was thinking about because I had to be home with my wife,†Smith said Friday at his youth football camp at Ardrey Kell High School. “I need to make sure I didn’t let her down. And now that that process has passed, we're thankful for that and now we're going to sit down and talk about things that are less important than her health."

Smith said he definitely plans to play football again this season, although he remained ambiguous on where that might be.

According to sources close to the team, Smith has talked to high-ranking officials about a possible trade, although he’s not come out and said it. Of course, that trade would be contingent upon the Panthers being willing to deal him and what they might get in return for the four-time Pro Bowl selection.

When asked if he’d be content playing in Carolina if he’s not dealt, Smith went with a familiar refrain. “It's between me and my family," he said. "When we decide what we're going to do, whether other people like it or not, as long as my family is happy... I would hope everyone else will understand it's a family affair and that's how it's going to be."

More at

I wonder how much this will effect both his performance in the season if it ever gets going and his deseire now to get a trade or even stay in football much longer. More so if she comes down with something worse

Edited by Arz