Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

Michigan schedules Appalachian State

Michigan announced Thursday that it will open the 2014 season at home against Appalachian State. Yep, the same Appalachian State that shocked the Wolverines 34-32 to open the 2007 season, when the defending FCS champion Mountaineers blocked a potential winning field goal at the end of regulation.

Source: ESPN

I love how this is still being hung over Michigan's head. Here's their chance for revenge.

I remember when App State beat Michigan. I was at the Notre Dame Football game and looked away in between plays. All of a sudden the rest of the crowd erupted in a roar of cheers. I thought maybe ND had run a quick play and scored a TD. I looked up and the players weren't even on the field. I glanced up at the scoreboard and there it was: the score of the ASU-UM game. Not only does this show the magnitude of that upset, but also the intensity of the ND-scUM rivalry. That was louder than the stadium got all game, even after a Notre Dame touchdown.

Appy State isn't nearly as good as it was back during the upset, but neither is Michigan. Those Wolverines opened the season as National title contenders. Who knows what the teams will be like in 2014.

By the way, Appalachian State is getting $850,000 for this game.

Unless they move to the FBS by '14, then it's a cool $1 million