Sign in to follow this  
NaTaS

Browns Jackson: AFC Defensive Player of the Month

By BOB FINNAN

rfinnan@MorningJournal.com

BEREA — It’s been 17 years since a Browns player has won the AFC Defensive Player of the Month award.

It could be 17 more before they find a player with more character than middle linebacker D’Qwell Jackson.

The 6-foot, 240-pound Jackson ended that long stretch on Thursday by winning the coveted honor for the month of September.

He was the fourth player in team history to win the award, but the first since safety Eric Turner in December 1994.

“It was very special,” Jackson said. “I’ve got to take it in stride. I mean I worked extremely hard, but this is the first step. We were able to get a win, but it comes at a good time.”

Heading into the 2011 season, the 28-year-old Jackson was a major question mark after missing the previous 26 games with torn pectoral muscles on back-to-back years.

He’s stormed back with a vengeance. In his first three games, Jackson has amassed 30 tackles, 2.5 sacks, one pass defensed, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. His 30 tackles are tied for fourth in the NFL, while his sack total ranks second among all AFC linebackers and is tied for fourth in the conference.

The first AFC honor of his six-year career came as no surprise to the Browns coaches.

“It’s a richly deserved award,” Browns defensive coordinator Dick Jauron said.

The Browns (2-1) have allowed just five touchdowns this season, which is tied for fourth in the league. Their 4-3 defense appears to be coming into its own, and Jackson is its ringleader.

“With the veteran linebackers that we have, Coach (Jauron) gives us freedom to make calls,” Jackson said. “If you see him out there on the field, he listens to us, he trusts us. Sometimes during the course of the game things don’t work out as planned, but he gives us the freedom to change things if we see.

“This defense is catered to our linebackers. It’s been good so far.”

Head coach Pat Shurmur wasn’t around Jackson before this year. He said he is impressed with his professionalism.

“He gets it,” he said. “The world makes sense to D’Qwell. He understands the process of being a pro.”

The Browns switched to a 4-3 defense under Shurmur. Jackson was hand-picked to play in the middle.

“We went into this thing knowing he was going to be our Mike linebacker,” Shurmur said. “There was enough evidence of him on tape. That was never a doubt.

“I do know this: He’s a fine football player. He does all the things necessary to help the team.”

Obviously, Jackson was a bit of a gamble heading into the season. The coaches penciled him into the lineup not knowing if he could stay healthy.

Since training camp, though, he’s been a pillar of strength.

“That was my focus in the offseason and to prepare for this season,” Jackson said. “It’s step one. There’s a lot of football to play. Everything right now is going as planned.”

Jackson said he never doubted he could return to play at an elite level.

“As long as I could get the opportunity and I was healthy, that’s all I could ask for,” he said. “Right now I’m playing well. There’s going to be adversity at times, but we’re only going to be as good as the leaders on the team.

“I think it was sometime in training camp where my legs felt great, my body felt great. That’s one thing I focused on in the offseason; making sure I was healthy, making sure I was putting the right things in my body to allow me to play fast throughout the course of the season.”

Shurmur said Jackson has been taking an average of 60-some snaps in the first three games.

Jauron said he likes his linebacking corps, which includes outside linebackers Chris Gocong and Scott Fujita. Jackson has some star qualities.

“He has a unique combination of being able to see it and then get it done,” Jauron said. “Things jump out (on tape).

“He has the desire to get to the football on every play. A big part of our game is to get to the guy with the ball and get him on the ground. He does that very well.”

Morning Journal