Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

MLB to expand instant replay

By Ian Begley | Special to ESPNNewYork.com

MLB commissioner Bud Selig remains certain that baseball will expand instant replay to include trapped balls and line drives down the foul lines.

Selig reiterated that he wants to see the additions during an interview on "The Mike Lupica Show" on ESPN New York 98.7 FM on Friday.

"We're now going to add it on trapped balls in the outfield and, as I call them, bullets down the right- and left-field line," Selig said.

Replay is currently used only to determine the legitimacy of home runs.

Umpires have used it to determine whether a ball clears the fence or whether it is fair or foul.

Selig did not say when the changes would be in place. In March, MLB officials said that no new replay would be in place for 2013. Baseball's most recent collective bargaining agreement allows for expanded replay, but it requires approval of MLB, plus the unions representing the umpires and players.

The commissioner said he would continue to review the policy and that he was "very cautious" to make the changes. He expressed concern over the effect it could have on the pace of the game, but added that if umpires adhered to the rules already in place, the pace of the game would not be an issue.

Selig acknowledged that some baseball purists may feel that he has gone too far in expanding replay.

"There are some people who believe that by going to the last two things, maybe I've gone too far and I don't think so," Selig said.

Source: ESPNNewYork.com

Edited by BLUE