Vin

Bengals @ Jags

Yeah I'm talking more like seeing what we have with Gabbert for the rest of the year, and if by the end of year two we're not seeing big improvements, you gotta start competition at the position via a vet like Henne or another rookie. It's not all Blaine's fault, the offensive line is letting guys in there within 2-3 seconds which is unacceptable, there's WRs having their routes ran for them by CBs and even LBs (Burfict did this to Blackmon twice Sunday), that's unacceptable as well. Most Jags fans are saying Blackmon had a good game but I disagree. I thought he just played okay, and was inconsistent. He had 6 catches on 10 targets, we were forcing him the ball, and a lot of the times he wasn't running good routes. He at times (or maybe the play just allowed him to be that open), and obviously he made the plays when he did, but too often he's getting blanketed by coverage because he's not running effective routes yet. But he's a rookie WR, that comes with experience. He has to be a technician at the position because he doesn't have the speed or big size to just physically dominate in the NFL. He needs to improve his route running.

I've been a supporter of Gene Smith because of guys like Cox, Monroe, Jennings, etc. but he needs to stop trading away extra picks to go up and get guys he falls in love with. He always talks about trusting his board, but at the same time you see the Blackmon pick, and it looks like a need pick for sure. No doubt Blackmon is a good young player, but he's not top 5 worthy IMO. But Gene trades up, and gets him. We could of stayed in our spot, and picked up Fletcher Cox who we were rumored to be looking at in our #7 spot. He's an absolute beast for Philly right now, last night It pained me to see him tossing Gs around like rag dolls and breaking up plays in the backfield. Meanwhile earlier in the day I'm watching Alualu get driven back and pancaked as an average RB like BGE running through his gap and churning out 6 yard runs. I know Alualu is still recovering from knee surgery, but man, it's painful to watch. Or we could of traded back, racked up more picks and got a Chandler Jones. Janoris Jenkins too if we traded out of the first into the early 2nd. Not a character guy though, so I doubt they even looked at him (sigh.) Jenkins is an absolute stud at CB for the Rams though.

This team is so frustrating man. We need some changes or else we'll continue to be mediocre. By now this is year 4 for Gene Smith, in the beginning we had to rebuild, so I exercised patience, but this is the year when you're supposed to see the fruition and it looks like we're still in year 2-3. Ugggh.

Yeah, production from high draft picks (hell, just draft picks in general) has been an issue. Saw a stat just recently that said the Jags are the only team to have picked in the top ten in each of the last five drafts. And what do we have to show for it? Eugene Monroe? Bah.

Yeah, production from high draft picks (hell, just draft picks in general) has been an issue. Saw a stat just recently that said the Jags are the only team to have picked in the top ten in each of the last five drafts. And what do we have to show for it? Eugene Monroe? Bah.

So sad. Gene Smith just isn't getting it done. I've held out patience with him longer than a lot of guys, but there's just no excuses left. Hated the Gabbert pick, but was hoping I was wrong and Gene was right. Gabbert wasn't even impressive in college at Mizzou, another one of those QB's that light it up in Pro Day's and the Combine with "big arms" that just can't cut it in the NFL. I saw bad eye level, can't operate in tight pockets or change delivery in crowds. Both huge red flags, it looked like he changed the eye level thing in the preseason and against Minnesota but old habits are hard to break. I think he could be a serviceable backup in a couple years though.