Sign in to follow this  
UndecidedFrog

Andrew Luck and his knee brace

Several people (not on this forum) have asked if Andrew Luck wears a knee brace to protect an old injury or prevent one. I am posting this as a pre-emptive answer to the yet unasked question.

I can only provide the following pieces of evidence:

1) Jim Harbaugh (previous Stanford HC, who coached Luck) comment on the 49ers QBs wearing knee braces: (from Inside the 49ers) link

On whether the braces that both Smith and fellow Colin Kaepernick wear on their left knees were his idea:

“Yes. Yes, it’s like a seatbelt. You can’t fight the odds, on wearing it on the plant leg, that leg that strides out and it’s something that can prevent MCLs. That’s the thing that it’s there to prevent, the impact from the side of the leg. Even if you were to get a shot that would be a grade three [sprain], the brace could make it a grade two or a grade one or eliminate it all together. We’re trying to find ways to dodge bullets out here and give ourselves the advantage over the bullets.”

2) Picture of 5 Stanford QBs in practice, all with knee braces on their plant leg.

link

Edited by UndecidedFrog

Yep, lots of QBs have been doing this over the past couple seasons. I know the Jags' QBs have done so. This board is pretty knowledgeable for the most part, I'm sure most of us already knew of this new strategy since most teams' do it and most of the guys here stay up to date with the league let alone their own teams.

• Upvote 1

It's good to know that most on these boards are knowledgeable. You would be surprised how many people elsewhere get over-excited when they see their QB wearing a knee brace.

• Upvote 1

Kinda off topic, but I'm surprised with the amount of flexibility that knee braces actually give. I figured people wearing them would have limited mobility but I've seen soccer players go ham with those things on.

Its definitely a precautionary measure. It is placed on the left knee of a right handed QB to stabilize the planting leg and his exposed front knee. Basically keeps your knee from buckling in case of a low blow. Actually it only stabilizes your knee from side to side, so it wouldn't have prevented an injury like the one Tom Brady had. Even Peyton has worn one due to the bursa sac issue he had here in Indy. :)