Sign in to follow this  
KempBolt

Chargers Center Nick Hardwick Placed on IR

Michael Gehlken@UTgehlken 29m

Chargers place Nick Hardwick (neck) on season-ending IR. Final year of contract. 11-year veteran.

Ankle issues and constant neck stingers. Just a huge bummer. I think Ohrnberger is a capable backup, and 3rd round rookie Chris Watt can play the pivot as well. So on the field I don't think this will crush us. But Nick is one of the better guys in the locker room and you hate to see his career end this way.

Terrible news.

Watt was a guy I was high on as a day 3 option coming out last year. How has he looked?

Also, interested to hear news on Fluker's MRI. Seems he was improving at pass pro as his rookie year progressed. Monday night he looked solid.

If SD loses Hardwick and Fluker, that could be disastrous against Seattle this week.

That just plain sucks. Especially with Mebane and Co. coming to town. IMO center is the hardest position on the line to replace, even over LT. Communication breakdowns should be expected. Hope this isn't the end for him.

Terrible news.

Watt was a guy I was high on as a day 3 option coming out last year. How has he looked?

Also, interested to hear news on Fluker's MRI. Seems he was improving at pass pro as his rookie year progressed. Monday night he looked solid.

If SD loses Hardwick and Fluker, that could be disastrous against Seattle this week.

Fluker is reportedly fine. Practicing today. MRI was precautionary. His pass pro was stellar vs. Arizona. His run blocking was meh… which is disappointing out of him.

Watt has looked alright at both center and guard. Not fantastic, but good for a rookie. He didn't win the RG job because he just wasn't playing fast enough yet. Not enough confidence in his knowledge of the offense.

That just plain sucks. Especially with Mebane and Co. coming to town. IMO center is the hardest position on the line to replace, even over LT. Communication breakdowns should be expected. Hope this isn't the end for him.

We will see. Ohrnberger has been a better run blocker when he's been in for Nick (last year and last Monday). So that might help as we'll need to run the ball well to have a chance against the Seahawks. It's good that Rich has been in the system for over a year now and has experience with Phil.

I think Nick retires for sure. He's been considering it for years.