Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Derrick Rose wins MVP

ESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO -- Chicago Bulls guard Derrick Rose is the youngest Most Valuable Player award-winner in the history of the NBA.

The 22-year-old Rose was officially announced as MVP on Tuesday after leading the Bulls to a 62-20 record and No. 1 seed in the playoffs.

Rose finished with 113 first-place votes and 1,182 total points. The Magic's Dwight Howard finished second with three first-place votes and 643 points. The Heat's LeBron James was third with 522 points, including four first-place votes, and the Lakers' Kobe Bryant was fourth with 428 points and one first-place vote.

The Chicago-born point guard had a breakout third season, averaging 25 points, 7.7 assists and 4.1 rebounds. After a summer with the U.S. National team, Rose made a significant leap.

During the Bulls' media day in September, Rose wondered aloud in front of the media why he couldn't win the MVP award. Eight months later, Rose answered his own question.

"Back in training camp when I said I wanted to be MVP, I wasn't trying to be cocky at all," Rose said Tuesday. "I knew that I put a lot of hard work in over the summer in the offseason, and I just wanted to push myself."

Rose will be honored before Wednesday's Game 2 against the Atlanta Hawks at the United Center.

"Very proud. He's earned it," Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau said Tuesday. "Thrilled for him. He's been everything you could ask for in a leader, player, and he's only going to get better."

Michael Jordan was the last Bulls player to win the award. He won it five times, with the latest being 1998. Earlier in the season, Jordan said Rose deserved the award.

Read more: ESPN

Edited by BLUE

At least it was LeBenedict.

Congrats Rose.