Sign in to follow this  
BradyFan81

Patriots to release Tully Banta-Cain

Per Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com

I don't know if we will be doing what the Ravens are doing with Heap and Mason and just re-sign him for less money or if he is gone for good, but this currently gives us really limited depth at OLB. As it stands our OLBs are now Jermaine Cunningham, Rob Ninkovich, and Eric Moore. We also have Markell Carter who we drafted in the last round but he is a longshot to make the team. We better add somebody.

Tully was supposed to make abour 4.5 mill this year..so not sure how much money this saves against the cap. Hopefully this gives us enough room to sign a Matt Roth, Mathias Kiwanuka or Manny Lawson.

Edited by BradyFan81

Doesn't make sense to me unless they just want to save cash. You have no source of pass rush, and decide to cut the one guy who can sometimes get to the QB.

Doesn't make sense to me unless they just want to save cash. You have no source of pass rush, and decide to cut the one guy who can sometimes get to the QB.

Regardless of the fact that he's put up 15 sacks in the past 2 seasons, he's rather mediocre overall. This should allow Jermaine Cunningham to have a nice breakout season this year. There's probably a lot of Pats fans out there screaming for the Pats to go snag an OLB off the market (like Matt Roth), but I'd hate to see that happen as I'm pretty confident in Cunningham. Telling you, kid's gonna have a big year.

Regardless of the fact that he's put up 15 sacks in the past 2 seasons, he's rather mediocre overall. This should allow Jermaine Cunningham to have a nice breakout season this year. There's probably a lot of Pats fans out there screaming for the Pats to go snag an OLB off the market (like Matt Roth), but I'd hate to see that happen as I'm pretty confident in Cunningham. Telling you, kid's gonna have a big year.

Are you equally confident in Eric Moore and Rob Ninkovich? We need a pass rusher, bro.

Eric Moore will not become a star and will probably always remain mediocre, but Rob Ninkovich has showed signs of life. He needs more playing time and will become a better defensive weapon for the Pats this season. The cutting of Banta-Cain is probably a Raven-esque move in order to resign him for less money. If not, then the Pats have someone that will be better and I fully believe they can find someone better if they're willing to spend the money.