Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

TCU to join Big 12

TCU has been invited to join the Big 12 Conference and is expected to accept the offer for the 2012-13 school year, college football industry sources told CBSSports.com. TCU was scheduled to join the Big East on July 1, 2012, but instead will join the Big 12. By leaving the Big East before it officially became a member, the Horned Frogs will have to pay a $5 million exit fee but is not bound by the Big East’s 27 month requirement for notification.

Source: CBS

Basically either the Big East or Big XII is going to crumble completely, and it looks now like it's going to be the Big East. This suprised me, but it's what they should have done in the first place.

No surprise that TCU decided to sidestep the Big East but going to another dying conference might not be much better.

The Big 12 will be the 6th conference for TCU in the last 17 years.

• Upvote 1

Well I think now Mizzou should stay put in the Big 12. Getting a top program like TCU should be enough to stabilize the conference.

No surprise that TCU decided to sidestep the Big East but going to another dying conference might not be much better.

In my opinion, the Big XII is no longer a dying conference with the addition of TCU and the confirmation that Texas, OU, and Oklahoma State will be staying put. I think the Big XII and the Big East traded places, the Big XII becoming the "ok" conference and the Big East becoming the dying conference.

In terms of college football, the Big East is on life support. Not necessarily because they lost TCU's commitment but because they're down another team. The fact that the Big12 picked up TCU is huge. Not because it's just another team but another team from the area. Stronger rivalries, more recruiting, and less traveling are all positives so both sides win.

As for Mizzou sticking around, I think it's still in the air. The SEC really needs another team in the West and the Tigers would be a great fit, and they know that. With the Big12 having to get new life year after year, stability could be the deciding factor.. and the SEC definitely has that.

I think Mizzou should stay in the Big 12 now that it seems secure.

TCU has an average attendance of 34,059 through three games this year. Those stadium renovations are three-fourths complete now, and are causing attendance to be scrunched down. With its stadium 100 percent useable last season, the Frogs averaged 42,466.

In men’s basketball, TCU brings nothing to the Big 12′s table but a designated victim. The Frogs were 1-15 in the Mountain West Conference last season, 11-22 overall. Daniel-Meyer Arena has 7,156 fixed seats. The program’s record-high crowd is 7,267, for Kansas in 2003.

The Big 12 has to add a team or teams, and TCU is one of the best options it had. But this isn’t Nebraska going to the Big Ten, Texas A&M going to the SEC, or even Colorado and Utah going to the Pac-12.

At least the location is desirable to the Big 12. It isn’t Provo, Utah.

Source: Gazette