Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

**Update** Marshall to escape charges in nightclub fight

ESPN.com news services

New York police are likely to wrap up this week their investigation into an a March nightclub incident in which Chicago Bears receiver Brandon Marshall is alleged to have punched a woman in the face, NFL sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Police have struggled to find evidence against Marshall, according to sources, and it's likely there will be no charges and the case will be closed.

Marshall said last week in a radio interview that he was confident he would be "cleared of any wrongdoing."

It's not the first off-field incident involving Marshall, which he said makes him even more of a target in public.

"You definitely have to let the judicial system take its course but again this also is one of those things as a result of everything I've been through in the past," Marshall said last week on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "When you go through things that I've been through it makes you a bigger target. Not only am I an NFL player, I'm an NFL player that has had trouble in the past. Whenever I step out the target on my back is pretty much bigger than 90 percent, 95 percent of the guys in the league because of who I am and what I've been through."

Christin Myles, 24, accused Marshall of striking her at a New York City nightclub and wants him held criminally responsible. Marshall's attorney, Harvey Steinberg, denies that Marshall or his friends were involved in a fight and contends he was trying to leave the club after a scuffle broke out and his wife was hit with a bottle.

"The situation in New York, it's unfortunate," Marshall said. "You never want to see anyone get hurt, but just the allegation of me balling my fist up and hitting a woman is just a lie. When the judicial system takes its course I'm very confident I will be cleared of any wrongdoing.

"My wife was the victim in this situation."

The Bears traded two third-round picks to the Miami Dolphins for Marshall on March 13 in new general manager Phil Emery's first major move. Marshall, who has five straight 1,000-yard seasons, reunites with Bears quarterback Jay Cutler and quarterback coach Jeremy Bates, who worked with Marshall when the trio was with the Denver Broncos.

Since 2007, his first year as a regular starter, Marshall ranks second in the NFL in receptions with 474 and fifth in receiving yards with 5,938.

Source: ESPN.com

Edited by BLUE

Per Rotoworld.com:

New York City police will not bring charges against Brandon Marshall for his role in an early March nightclub brawl, according to attorney Harvey Steinberg.

Considering Marshall's history of violence against women, the Harlem victim must have had an awfully weak case. Marshall allegedly "cold-cocked" Christin Myles, a former basketball player at San Diego State University, after his wife was hit in the face by a thrown bottle. Marshall and the Bears have been confident all along that his name would be cleared. He should be in no danger of NFL discipline now that police have opted against charges. May 17 - 6:54 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter