Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

"Little Jerry Seinfeld" is Mets New Mascot

NEW YORK -- New York Mets left-hander Tim Byrdak pledges that new team mascot "Little Jerry Seinfeld" will not wind up in a deep fryer.

Byrdak had someone buy the chicken in Chinatown for $8 after Mets closer Frank Francisco created a stir by calling the New York Yankees "chickens."

The bird, which Byrdak named after Kramer's cockfighting chicken on "Seinfield," ran around the clubhouse during pregame Friday, before Francisco closed out a 6-4 win in the Subway Series opener.

"Frank thought it was funny," Byrdak said. "At first, I told him the Yankees sent it over for him. He had a look of concern on his face. And then he said, 'You bought it.' And I said, 'Yeah, I bought it.' Everyone got a good chuckle out of it. He ran around here for a little bit. And we played the game."

Now, Byrdak is trying to find a home for the chicken.

The chicken spent Friday night in a cage at Citi Field. Team chef Theresa Corderi fed the bird a meal of oatmeal, berries and bread after doing research into the appropriate cuisine on the internet.

"We're trying to get him into a chicken sanctuary or somewhere where he can rest comfortably for the rest of his life and not worry about a deep fryer. Or an oven," Byrdak said. "I went to Twitter last night to try to have people help me, but a lot of people said they wanted to throw him in a KFC bucket. That wasn't funny."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/8088969/new-york-mets-looking-sanctuary-chicken-mascot-little-jerry-seinfeld

I think they should keep him permanently. :p

And I wasn't aware of the existence of chicken sanctuaries. ha