Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Dale Junior concussed

Dale Earnhardt Jr. has concussion

Updated: October 11, 2012, 11:32 AM ESPN.com news services

CONCORD, N.C. -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. will miss the next two races with a concussion, ending the championship chances of NASCAR's most popular driver.

Hendrick Motorsports said Thursday that Earnhardt will sit out Charlotte and Kansas, and Regan Smith will replace him in the No. 88 Chevrolet.

Earnhardt was diagnosed Wednesday in Charlotte, the team said.

Earnhardt was injured in a 25-car last-lap accident Sunday at Talladega. Because he was able to drive his car away from the accident -- teammate Jimmie Johnson even caught a lift on the window back to the garage -- Earnhardt was not required to go to the care center for an examination at the time.

Immediately after the race, he called restrictor-plate racing "bloodthirsty" and said he no longer had any desire to compete at Daytona and Talladega.

The wreck Sunday was at least the second hard hit Earnhardt has had this season. He struck the wall extremely hard during an Aug. 29 Goodyear test at Kansas when his right front tire failed. It's not clear if Earnhardt sought a medical evaluation after that accident, which driver Brad Keselowski tweeted about moments after the hit.

At a news conference Thursday at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Earnhardt said he "knew something was not quite right" after the hit he took at Kansas but said he decided to "push through" and race on.

Earnhardt described the hit he took in the Talladega wreck as "not even half the impact at Kansas, but it was enough to cause me concern" and get checked by doctors.

Earnhardt this season snapped his 143-race winless streak dating to 2008, and many believed he was in the best position in years to finally win his first Sprint Cup Series championship. But he had a mediocre start to the Chase for the Sprint Cup and left Talladega ranked 11th in the field.

By sitting out the next two races, he'll most certainly finish last in the 12-driver Chase race.

Earnhardt will also end his streak of 461 consecutive starts, which is the fifth longest active streak in the Sprint Cup Series.

Source: ESPN

can't say how much that sucks, he was having such a good season you hate to see his title shot end this way

His chance at the title was pretty slim anyways, but it does suck. Good opportunity for Regan Smith though.

His chance at the title was pretty slim anyways, but it does suck. Good opportunity for Regan Smith though.

true, but now his chance of finishing better than 12th is pretty slim, and Smith has gotten some pretty good exposure this year anyway but without a ride for next season any opportunity is a good one

Edited by oochymp

and the domino effect also gives Allmendinger a redemption shot after going through NASCAR's recovery program

AJ Allmendinger to race at Charlotte

Updated: October 11, 2012, 5:24 PM ETBy Terry Blount | ESPN.com

AJ Allmendinger, who recently was reinstated by NASCAR after completing a rehabilitation program for substance abuse, will drive the No. 51 Chevrolet this weekend for Phoenix Racing in the Sprint Cup race at Charlotte Motor Speedway.

Allmendinger, 30, was suspended by NASCAR on July 7 following a positive drug test. It caused him to lose his job as the driver of the No. 22 Dodge for Penske Racing.

He confirmed Thursday morning that he was called by Phoenix Racing officials to replace Regan Smith in the No. 51 car for team owner James Finch in the next two races.

"I talked to Finch for about three minutes this morning," said Allmendinger. "He started to tell me what the deal was and I was like, 'Man, it's all good. I'll come drive this weekend, and if you like me, you like me. And if not, it's OK.' It's all about taking it as it comes right now."

Smith was scheduled to replace Kurt Busch in that car this week, but Smith will drive the No. 88 Chevy for Dale Earnhardt Jr., who is sitting out the next two Cup races because of concussion.

Source: ESPN