Sign in to follow this  
OSUViking

General Military News Thread

I feel like this is might be useful in the future. :shrug:

U.S. Navy uses eyes in space to take out a ballistic missile threat target

A Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) Standard Missile-3 Block IA fired from the USS Lake Erie destroyed a medium-range ballistic missile (MRBM) target using tracking data from a remote Raytheon sensor payload on the Space Tracking and Surveillance System-Demonstrator (STSS-D) satellites.

“This test further expands our confidence in the SM-3′s ability to engage targets using remote, netted sensor targeting,” said Wes Kremer, Raytheon Missile Systems’ vice president of Air and Missile Defense Systems. “Launching on remote is important because it extends the engagement range of the missile, allowing ships with the SM-3 to expand the battlespace and eliminate threats sooner.”

The MRBM target was launched from the Pacific Missile Range Facility. As it rose above the horizon, the target was acquired and tracked by STSS-D. Threat data was then relayed through the Command, Control, Battle Management and Communications (C2BMC) system to the ship. The ship’s crew fired the SM-3 based on STSS track data and before the ship’s radar acquired the target.

“STSS-D’s unique vantage point in space allows the sensor payload to see the threat early in its trajectory and provide launch quality data sooner than nearly any other option,” said Bill Hart, vice president of Space Systems for Raytheon’s Space and Airborne Systems business. “We can give our naval warfighters extra time to analyze and respond, by providing target data before the ship can track the threat. That’s a tremendous advantage.”

The test proves the “launch on remote” concept, which was first demonstrated during testing in April 2011 when a U.S. Navy destroyer used track data provided by a Raytheon-made AN/TPY-2 radar deployed on Wake Island to engage and destroy an intermediate-range ballistic missile target using an SM-3 Block IA.

About the Standard Missile-3

The SM-3 guided missile is designed to destroy incoming short-, medium-, and intermediate-range ballistic missile threats by colliding with them in space, a concept sometimes described as “hitting a bullet with a bullet.” The missile does not contain an explosive warhead, but instead destroys the threats using sheer impact, equivalent to a 10-ton truck traveling at 600 mph.

More than 135 SM-3s have been delivered to U.S. and Japanese navies ahead of schedule and under cost.

Raytheon is on track to deliver the next-generation SM-3 Block IB guided missile in 2014.

SM-3 Block IB guided missile will be deployed in both afloat and ashore weapons systems.

The test marks the 22nd successful intercept for the SM-3 program.

About the Space Tracking and Surveillance System-Demonstrator Satellites

STSS-D is a research and development capability for the Ballistic Missile Defense System that can detect and track ballistic missiles and other cold objects in space. Raytheon sensors used on the payloads were developed under contract to Northrop Grumman, prime contractor for the STSS-D program.

STSS-D consists of two satellites carrying sensor payloads in a low-Earth orbit.

The satellites demonstrate the value of space-based sensors to missile defense.

The STSS-D payloads are able to detect infrared and visible light.

I think this is pretty great and is a further step in the right direction. With the growing threat of cruise missiles and ballistic missiles from North Korean and Iran, this is a crucial development. I've followed the SM-3/RIM-161 and it has been very successful in test launches so far. I will look up its interception rate in its tests, but for now I will just assume they are pretty damn high. Thoughts?

This recent military development is probably a very good thing, but it's only practical use in the future will be for testing / training purposes, as well as a deterrent to both North Korea and Iran. Even though people say they are irrational states, I think they are very rational states and that they know that if they ever came close or actually (God Forbid) attacked America, that America would pound them so hard with every military means in it's arsenal that both of their countries would turn into a huge pile of ash and rubble. :yep:

• Upvote 1

The SM-3's primary use is to defend ships against cruise missiles and China's DF-21. I'm actually pretty confident that we could mass produce this and use it effectively within the decade.

The SM-3's primary use is to defend ships against cruise missiles and China's DF-21. I'm actually pretty confident that we could mass produce this and use it effectively within the decade.

Viking, do you know how many that the Pentagon would contract out to be made, like what quantity of the SM-3 would be sufficient to defend America and it's national interests? :shrug:

No idea, but if the Pentagon cleaned up spending and penalties forced contractors to stay within budget, the Pentagon could easily afford modernization procurements in most sections of the military.

No idea, but if the Pentagon cleaned up spending and penalties forced contractors to stay within budget, the Pentagon could easily afford modernization procurements in most sections of the military.

Yeah, there is probably so much wasted resources in the military and with military contractors.

Did you have any specific modernization military procurements in mind that you think the Pentagon should do?

More F-22s, B-2s, modernize infantry, stay with JSF all the way... Just to name a few.

• Upvote 1

This shouldn't come off as much of a surprise.

“It is neither professional nor responsible to make groundless accusations without hard evidence and is also not conducive to solving relevant problems,” foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei said in Beijing.

So... countless investigations proving that these hacks believed to be perpetrated by China are... based out of China are groundless accusations? Seriously... fuck China. I don't think very highly of India, but we should at least have the integrity to not put up with this and move on to them.

EDIT: It's also kind of pathetic to know that the US, a country that is "supposed" to be decades ahead of everyone in technology, is being hacked by China of all nations. The only smart move is to stop hunting Anon, recruit them, and then unleash them upon China.

Edited by Vikingfan465
  • Upvote 1

This shouldn't come off as much of a surprise.

“It is neither professional nor responsible to make groundless accusations without hard evidence and is also not conducive to solving relevant problems,” foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei said in Beijing.

So... countless investigations proving that these hacks believed to be perpetrated by China are... based out of China are groundless accusations? Seriously... fuck China. I don't think very highly of India, but we should at least have the integrity to not put up with this and move on to them.

EDIT: It's also kind of pathetic to know that the US, a country that is "supposed" to be decades ahead of everyone in technology, is being hacked by China of all nations. The only smart move is to stop hunting Anon, recruit them, and then unleash them upon China.

It's pretty disgusting the behaviour that China routinely engages in! :yep:

They always react to accusations that actually have hard evidence and years of reporting to back up what certain individuals, organizations or countries say, but then they often use the race card and accuse them of being biased against the Chinese people! FUCK OFF CHINA, GO TO HELL MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!

At least India believes in freedom and democracy, whereas China rapes people in prison, does forced sterlizations to minorities, and kills thousands of people with tanks when they want to have a say in how they are governed (1989 demonstrations in Beijing)

India is horridly corrupt last I heard, has poor law and order (again just going off of what I've heard), insane poverty, and shit labor conditions. It might have democracy, but it has a long way to go. The development of a NATO-India military relationship is, imo, crucial if we truly want to contain China. Seriously, India already has arguably superior technology in some areas... equip them with more Western shit and boom... greatest border threat to contain China.