Sign in to follow this  
CreoleJoe

Will A Deep NFC(south) Be Rough on the Saints?

A little article I found, thought I would post it.

As we all know, the NFC South could be the most competitive division in football. Atlanta remains a tough team and Tampa Bay should be better. Even Carolina usually gives opponents a competitive game and the Panthers actually swept New Orleans last year.

Expectations are definitely for more than seven wins for New Orleans, but do not expect the 13-3 domination displayed in 2011.

Sure, Brees could easily throw for 5,000 yards again, but is that what Saints fans really want?

When a team plays better defense and more efficient offense, the need to throw lessens as the game wears on and the lead is increased. Instead, it can just hand the ball off and drain the clock for the win.

Another year with 650-plus pass attempts from Brees likely means the Saints are still struggling to control games beyond any method outside of the pass. Remember, the leader in passing yards is 0-47 when it comes to winning a Super Bowl.

The offense is going to play even better this season, but it is hard to imagine the defense will figure things out so quickly in year one under a defensive coordinator who has never coached success.

As the Saints have proven, a defense that relies on takeaways is not sustainable. It worked through the playoffs in 2009, but in every other season of the Payton era, the Saints have either failed to make the playoffs (with a defense ranked 25th or worse in points allowed), or they allowed at least 36 points in a playoff loss.

The 2013 Saints may win 9,10,11 games and make the playoffs, but will the problems on defense continue and be too much to overcome for this team to matter in January?

On the bright side, the Bountygate punishments are over and one of the best coaches in the league is back on the job. With Payton and one of the top quarterbacks in the game reunited, there’s at least an opportunity for greatness again in New Orleans.

GEAUX SAINTS!!! :Saints:

The Saints D is going to be their demise again. Rob Ryan is little more than a big name and bringing him in to take over a historically bad D AND try to change to the 34 is going to be rough.

It's a tough division any way you look at it, we normally all beat up on eachother. It'll be rough on all four teams.

The NFC South certainly is one of the most competitive divisions right now, and it has been historically as well because no team has ever won back to back division titles, though the Falcons look likely to be the first team to achieve that feat unless one of the other teams step up. I love being a fan of an NFC South team because the divisional games are very competitive, and the division isn't as clear cut as some others.

This year will be tough for each team, but each team has strengthened well in the off season, so I expect all four teams to be competitive despite having to face the NFC West and AFC East. For me, an argument could be made for each team to be .500 or better this season like the AFC South in 2007 and the NFC East in 2008. Granted such seasons are rare in the NFL, but we have seen recently a number of divisions finish with three winning teams. I can see the NFC South featuring every team with .500 or better.

And that stat of the QB leading the league in passing yards being 0-47 in Super Bowls is shocking. Considering some of the QBs that have led the league in passing down the years, it is amazing to think that one of them didn't get the job done at some point.

• Upvote 1