Sign in to follow this  
East495

New York Jets 2013 Outlook:

Rex Ryan was spared the firing finger of Woody Johnson after the chaotic 6-10 season, but the walls did come down around him.

GM Mike Tannenbaum was canned, as was offensive coordinator Tony Sparano. Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine jumped to Buffalo. Grizzled special teams coach Mike Westhoff retired.

Tannenbaum was replaced by John Idzik, Jr, who'd previously spent 6 years as VP of Football Administration for the Seahawks. Idzik played a role in bringing Pete Carroll to Seattle, and prior to that, learned the ins-and-outs of management in 12 years with the Buccaneers. When Tampa Bay won Super Bowl XXXVII, Idzik was the assistant GM.

Sparano's replacement would be Marty Morninhweg, who comes off 10 years in Philadelphia as assistant head coach and offensive coordinator. Morninhweg, like ex-boss Andy Reid, has a tendency to reply way too heavily on the pass, and the balance of playcalling suffers as a result.

Then again, maybe passing frequently wouldn't be the worst idea. The Jets didn't retain running back Shonn Greene, choosing to go forward with Bilal Powell (437 yds and 4 TD on 110 carries), Joe McKnight, and acquisitions in Lex Hilliard, Chris Ivory (via trade), and Mike Goodson (who's been recently beset by legal troubles.

On paper, the running game doesn't strike as much terror as some teams, but perhaps behind an improving offensive line, they'll surprise some folks.

Austin Howard is a vastly improved run-blocker on the right side of the line, and he enters his second full season at starter. D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold remain as reliable cogs. With the tackles solidified, Ivory, as an outside runner, has the greatest chance to thrive.

The receiving corps looks pretty much the same between Jeremy Kerley, Stephen Hill, and a healthy Santonio Holmes. Dustin Keller is no longer tight end, having signed with the Dolphins, so four-year vet Jeff Cumberland (359 yds, 3 TD in 2012) slides into the starting role.

Former secondary coach Dennis Thurman is promoted to defensive coordinator, and recently made the emboldened statement that his secondary, 'is the best group it's been in years,' even without Revis.

Among in-house chances to the defense is the move of Quinton Coples to outside linebacker. That gives Barnes, Richardson, and Muhammad Wilkerson their natural positions to work from, especially in a 4-3. Coples is expected to drop at least 10-15 lbs to adequately play linerbacker, however.

Thurman also stated that Milliner 'would compete' for the second starting corner spot next to Cromartie, but that seems to be more of a motivational technique than anything.

With a new GM, many radical changes to the coaching staff and roster, and an owner griping, albeit not so harshly, about the previous 2 seasons, it seems as though Ryan could be one false move away from looking for work in 2014.

Things don't look so bad when you consider the trenches. The offensive line looks like it could be its strongest in years, and the defensive line could bring great pressure in a 3-4 infused with lots of aggressive youth. Laugh at the Jets now, but they might be better than you think.

Still New York remains a news-magnet, making headlines this offseason once again with the outright release of Tim Tebow, and the trading of Revis to Tampa Bay for a first round pick (Richardson) and one pick next year. Tebow was used for little more than gossip fodder, while the Jets at least found a suitable replacement for Revis in Milliner.

The Jets have begun renovation on their offensive line, adding veteran Willie Colon. He'll likely start at guard, along with either third-round pick Brian Winters or Lions veteran Stephen Peterman. Improving right tackle Austin Howard was re-signed by the club.

On defense, the Jets added injury-plagued nose tackle Antonio Garay and underrated linebacker Antwan Barnes from the Chargers, and in-house veteran linebacker Calvin Pace was re-signed on April 16, two months after the Jets released him.

Projected Starting Lineup:

QB - Mark Sanchez

RB - Chris Ivory

FB - Lex Hilliard

WR - Stephen Hill

WR - Santonio Holmes

TE - Jeff Cumberland

LT - D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG - Willie Colon

C - Nick Mangold

RG - Stephen Peterman

RT - Austin Howard

DE - Muhammad Wilkerson

NT - Kenrick Ellis

DT - Sheldon Richardson

OLB - Quinton Coples

ILB - Demario Davis

ILB - David Harris

OLB - Antwan Barnes

CB - Antonio Cromartie

CB - Dee Milliner

FS - Josh Bush

SS - Dawan Landry

K - Nick Folk

P - Robert Malone

LS - Tanner Purdum

2013 Prediction: 8-8

The Jets' outlook? They can see for miles, but that's usually the case when you're standing at the edge of a cliff.

Hill is just the next Limas Sweed. If any receiver makes an impact for the Jets it'll be Jeremy Kerley.

They're the worst team in the division right now, 5-11 seems reasonable, but it could be worse.

I see the Jets finishing somewhere between 4-12 and 6-10. 8-8 sounds like a pipe dream.

I see the Jets finishing somewhere between 4-12 and 6-10. 8-8 sounds like a pipe dream.

Yeah...I know, wishful thinking right? When I first read this and posted it here, it kinda gave me some hope. Maybe not so much now. I still dont think we're really all that bad to finish with 4-6 wins. So I'm gonna go 7-9, or am I still asking for too much? lol

Dont answer that! (TGP Nation) :laugh: