Sign in to follow this  
theMileHighGuy

Broncos Training Camp Updates

Yeah A.J. Smith sucked with UDFA's... Oh wait! What about Antonio Gates, Kris Dielman, Malcom Floyd, Stephen Cooper? Smith's downfall was letting talent leave and reaching for need. He knew how to evaluate talent and we definitely have a better track recorded with undrafted talent than the Broncos. Your desire to crown Elway is entirely premature. He may turn out to be great, but most of the starting roster you have now, he did not draft. And he only got his team above .500 when a 1st ballot hall of fame QB happened to be avaialable for nothing but a contract.

Also, Wesley Woodyard and Tony Carter were both in Denver before Elway took over. Check your facts before you start talking shit. You just make yourself look like a bigger fool.

Ya them UDFA were brought in when? 2002-2003? Woodyard was brought in by shanahan and carter was brought in by mcdaniels but was then cut and spent time with both New England and the Vikings before Elway brought him back so yes we did find someone that other teams missed. Right now Elway is one of the best at finding Young talent that other teams discard, Harris was UDFA, carter was discarded, we have a young stud at wr who is going to see relief reps to our starters in Greg orton, duke ihenacho is looking like he may be our starter at SS next to Moore. Many many many players travel from team to team before someone finds how to use them right or they develop their skills enough to stick.

You must be one of those fans who think that a player must perform instantly or they're a bust. There's this thing called player development that can find you very good talent that you should look into.

Besides I believe in Elway, while most of his moves have been criticized for being the wrong moves he has rebuilt us into a championship team because of his talent evaluation skills

Edited by Crash
  • Downvote 1

Ya them UDFA were brought in when? 2002-2003? Woodyard was brought in by shanahan and carter was brought in by mcdaniels but was then cut and spent time with both New England and the Vikings before Elway brought him back so yes we did find someone that other teams missed. Right now Elway is one of the best at finding Young talent that other teams discard, Harris was UDFA, carter was discarded, we have a young stud at wr who is going to see relief reps to our starters in Greg orton, duke ihenacho is looking like he may be our starter at SS next to Moore. Many many many players travel from team to team before someone finds how to use them right or they develop their skills enough to stick.

You must be one of those fans who think that a player must perform instantly or they're a bust. There's this thing called player development that can find you very good talent that you should look into.

Besides I believe in Elway, while most of his moves have been criticized for being the wrong moves he has rebuilt us into a championship team because of his talent evaluation skills

Bottom line- you trashed our ability to find UDFA talent, while forgetting about a future hall of famer, a perennial pro-bowler, quality starters, and a number of good role players. Then you went on to give your current GM credit for things he didn't do. Laughable. Plus going back to what SD did earlier in the 2000's is a whole lote more credible than trying to take credit for guys who haven't actually done anything yet like Orton and Ihenacho.

I never even hinted at the statement in bold. That's another example of the mental gymnastics you do to try and hold onto an untenable argument. What you're getting at is exactly why I said that Elway may end up being great, but crowning him now is premature. You argue that I can't criticize Elway while his drafted talent hasn't had time to develop and that's fine- but by that same token, you can't praise him for things that he didn't do or that haven't happened yet. The majority of Denver's impact players were there when he arrived or, in the case of Manning, became available through very strange circumstances. Manning, Clady, Beadles, Walton, Vasquez, Thomas, Decker, Welker, Vickerson, Knighton, Ayers, Woodyard, Bailey, and Carter... that's FOURTEEN starters that Elway didn't scout or draft.

And don't try and feed me any bullshit about his talent evaluation skills bringing Manning, Welker, or Vasquez into town. As if those guys were hidden gems of talent that the rest of the league didn't notice and only Elway recognized. Denver had the money to pay them and they chose to play there. Good on you, but that's not a sustainable way to maintain a franchise and has nothing to do with talent evaluation.

Lol... that conversation was funny. :facepalm:

Day 7 highleet tweets...

@MileHighReport: Manny Ramirez taking first team reps at center. No Ryan Lilja at practice today. #BroncosCamp

@MileHighReport: Surprises: Jeremiah Johnson and Quinton Carter are not practicing today. #BroncosCamp

@MileHighReport: Not surprises: DRC (ankle), J Boren (toe), Tamme (quad), S Williams (knee) not practicing. Clady (shoulder) limited. #BroncosCamp

@MileHighReport: BIG fight. Tons of players. Chris Clark, Julius Thomas definitely taking swings at others. Crowd cheered. #yes #getfiredup

Lindsay Jones ✔ @bylindsayhjones

Duke Ihenacho continues his rapid ascent up the broncos depth chart. Definitely a player to watch at scrimmage on Saturday.

Brandon Spano @BrandonSpano

Montee Ball fumbles after a catch. Tony Carter scoops it and scores

Brandon Spano @BrandonSpano

Dysert getting his interceptions in early today.

@MileHighReport: Tough day for the o-line, particularly at tackle. Credit Von Miller and Robert Ayers with a sack and pressure respectively. #BroncosCamp

@MileHighReport: Fox: Carter out with knee, Johnson out with knee. Quanterus left with a knee. http://t.co/PzalMMhsCA (OUCH)

Darren McKee ‏@dmac1043 3m

Chris Harris has had some epic battles with Welker pic.twitter.com/3WfvThcxVW

Gray Caldwell ‏@GrayCaldwell 10s

Wolfe said he's seen Jeremy Beal and Malik Jackson stepping up this camp.

MileHighReport @MileHighReport

RT @GrayCaldwell: Derek Wolfe: "I feel 100 times better than I did a year ago."

Knowshon Moreno's the veteran now, but the running back told reporters today he is as hungry as ever.

Darren McKee @dmac1043

“@gpettooh: @dmac1043

How is jammer and philips looking?”Philips is a starter! Jammer is almost forgotten not sure he makes the team

I sure hope all those knees are just soreness. Q Smith and Q Carter are both coming off knee work.

Day 7 MHR recap.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013-denver-broncos-training-camp/2013/8/1/4579464/denver-broncos-2013-training-camp-fights-and-slips-to-start-week-two

Denver Broncos 2013 Training Camp: Fights and Falls to start Week Two

It was a day of firsts at training camp Thursday as the Broncos kicked off their second week of practices. It was the first big fight among Broncos players in 2013, and it was the first time Peyton Manning fell to the ground in his practice career as a Bronco.

"We try to keep our quarterback upright, whether it's in practice or a game," coach John Fox said. "But again, not too many perfect games, not too many perfect practices."

Manning wasn't touched; he just slipped and fell to the ground awkwardly as he threw. Action around the line of scrimmage halted immediately - you don't mess around with Peyton Manning on the ground. Manning got right up and was fine, but I'm sure the 3,000 fans in attendance gasped and held their breath for a moment at the same times I was doing so.

Another breath-stopper was the fight that broke out early in practice. IT was ferocious. Danny Trevathan lost a helmet, while Chris Clark and Julius Thomas were each fuirously throwing haymakers at men wearing opposite-colored Broncos jerseys. At least 10 Broncos players were involved.

"Like everybody says, it's camp. You have scrambles, frustration because you want to make a play so badly," said Trevathan. "It's like brothers, brotherly love. You fight with your brother, but the next day you forget all about it."

"It's definitely forgotten," Julius Thomas said. "We shake hands about it; we'll probably laugh about it later. It's just that guys are trying to show their teammates, 'I'll be there for you in the thick of things.'

"We're competing against each other. Sometimes we have to go at it a little bit."

Roll Call

Ryan Clady was still limited. Present but not participating were Jacob Tammer (quad), Sylvester Williams (knee), Jeremiah Johnson (knee), and Quinton Carter (knee). Absent altogether were Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (ankle) and Justin Boren ("great" toe).

Injury Report

Linebacker Lerentee McCray (shoulder) and defensive end Quanterus Smith (knee) each left practice. Neither sounded serious.

Highlights

Be sure to follow Mile High Report on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram for live updates throughout practice. Here's Brock Osweiler and Peyton Manning going through a little play action.

Defense puts on the pressure

After yesterday's practice saw the offense really abuse the defense, Denver's defensive line responded, especially at defensive end. Broncos pass rushers were consistently getting to and getting after the quarterback, abusing the likes of Chris Clark and Orlando Franklin each while surround Peyton Manning all morning.

Robert Ayers and Von Miller really shone in first team work, while Malik Jackson had a strong practice in mixed work. Shaun Phillips also had a few moments, and the secondary, led by Chris Johnson, bounced back after a rough Wednesday.

Position Battles

Safety

One player has settled into his starting role, and that is Rahim Moore. What once was a three-man battle for two positions between Moore, Mike Adams, and David Bruton has turned into a three-man battle for one remaining position, with a new name entering the mix.

That player, as we've talked about several times now, is Duke Ihenacho.

Ihenacho has looked fantastic, making big plays (pick-six style big plays) throughout camp, and the Broncos are rewarding him as such. He's legitimately in the mix as starter now, and between he, Bruton and Adams, he looks best right now.

Running Back

The status quo remained Thursday - Ronnie Hillman continues to see top reps, followed by Montee Ball, followed by Knowshon Moreno. All three had a decent practice, though Montee Ball's wasn't as impressive as yesterday's, and Knowshon probably had the best session. He was the only running back of the three to break into the end zone in red zone work, busting down the left sideline and finding pay dirt.

Tight End

With Jacob Tamme out with a quadricep, it's an opportunity for Julius Thomas to continue to separate himself, and for Virgil Green to regain lost ground with more reps. Thomas is succeeding in his end; Green is continuing to struggle. He dropped another pass today and has not been as effective in pass and run blocks as in years past.

Wide Receiver

The top three continue to share reps and make plays. Demaryius Thomas was battling with Tony Carter today - it wasn't as one-sided in DT's favor as yesterday, but Thomas still came out on top more often than not.

Quarterback

Peyton Manning looked good when he wasn't falling to the ground. He was constantly under pressure though; at least once a player (Joel Dreessen in this case) wasn't where Manning expected him to be as his hot route, and Manning had to take him aside and explain the plan.

Brock Osweiler's mechanics look a little sloppy at times lately, like he's regressing slightly. It's mostly his sidearm throws, which are happening a few times every practice. Hopelly the Broncos nip this in the bud now because Osweiler did not often show that throwing motion earlier in camp.

Play of the Day

A new name enters the Play of the Day fraternity - undrafted rookie safety Ross Rasner. Rasner had an incredible interception of a Zac Dysert overthrow. The pass was intended for a Bronco 10 yards ahead of Rasner but sailed high; the Arkansas product came out of nowhere and dove to the ground, rolling to the sideline with the football in hand.

Who Won Today - Chris Harris

I saw Harris stepping up as a leader today. With DRC out and Champ Bailey still getting limited reps, Harris, who is only in his third year, is being looked to as the top cornerback, and he's filling that role by example and through giving advice. He fit the bill physically today as well; on one play he had a perfect angle on a Peyton Manning throw to Wes Welker, closed on the ball, and broke up the pass with ease.

Runner Up: Robert Ayers. The big defensive end had a great day in one-on-one's and also got around Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler on a few occasions in team work.

Runner Up #2: Nate Irving. Irving has had a quiet camp, which may be a good thing. He isn't messing up and just doing his job. But today he stood out as a player getting more comfortable in finding his lanes to cover and also sticking his nose in the mix. He even had an impressive pass break-up of Julius Thomas late in practice.

Runner Up #3: Me. I was like a kid in a candy store today. I got to talk to Tom Nalen about the Ring of Fame and his career as a Bronco for a story we'll get up later. But it was also a big reunion of 2005-2006 season era Broncos. Nalen, Jake Plummer, Jeb Putzier, Tatum Bell, and backup QB Preston Parsons (GO JACKS!) were all in attendance today. I started blogging when these Broncos were all a part of the team so those seasons hold a special place in my heart.

Who Lost Today - Chris Clark

Clark has had a decent camp, but he was really exposed today. Malik Jackson abused him with an inside swim move in one-on-one's, while Robert Ayers got the upper hand (the lower, better-leveraged position) with a bull rush move in the same drill. In team exercises, Clark got beaten a few times by Ayers for either pressures or sacks (hard to tell in practice, since as a defender you don't actually touch the quarterback).

Runner Up: Quincy McDuffie. How you drop that pass is beyond me. Brock Osweiler threw an absolutely perfect spiral deep downfield into the end zone. Kayvon Webster was step-for-step with McDuffie, but the throw was absolutely spot-on and could not be defended. It hit McDuffie right between the 1 and 6 on his chest - yet somehow the undrafted rookie dropped what would have been a touchdown. Tough break for a kid trying to make a play.

Next Practice

The Broncos have a walkthrough tonight. The next practice is Friday at 10:25 a.m. and will be the last practice before Denver's stadium scrimmage on Saturday.

Can we not lose all of our players before camp finishes?

Day 7 camp pics.

IMG_8823_gallery_post.JPG

Broncos running backs tell Trindon Holiday to gtfo of their drills.

IMG_9200_gallery_post.JPG

Jake "The Snake" Plummer and ol' teammate Chris Kuper probably making fun of Jay Cutler.

IMG_0839_gallery_post.JPG

New center Manny Ramirez gives manning a surprise jedi.

IMG_0843_gallery_post.JPG

football on hallucinogens, or a really gay music video.

IMG_8826_gallery_post.JPG

Ronnie Hillman plays American Gladiators with Montee Ball and CJ Anderson.

IMG_8966_gallery_post.JPG

It hurts Manning to throw at running backs.

IMG_9106_gallery_post.JPG

Jack Del Rio orders the defense to ford the river.

IMG_9098_gallery_post.JPG

Decker snags a ball, crowd is pissed about it.

IMG_9214_gallery_post.JPG

For some reason Tatum Bell and all his kids showed up.

rookies.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Rookies, doing rookie stuff.

Jake Plummer, Tom Nalen, and yes, Jeb PUTZIER!!

BQm77tYCYAAs0Rv.jpg

Seriously, Osweiler is on HGH. What a freak. And he apparently wants to give the Snake a shocker.

Edited by theMileHighGuy

Has to be karma making up for last year.

Karma making up for last year was our pathetic showing in the playoffs. This is just cruel. >_>

Hmm ayers, Irving, Hillman and JT are all players I've said to look out for and were going to help complete our football team and I was laughed at, now look they are balling out almost every practice. Even guys that I said would have a good impact like Malik Jackson and Jeremy beal are looking very very good at getting to the passer.

I keep telling you doubters that this Denver team is twice as good as last years and will be close to unbeatable but no one believes me just like they didnt believe me about our young studs in the making and now look at them. Not very many holes and a whole lot of strengths on this team.

Edited by Crash

I say lets get it all out now and be mostly ready by game 1. Remember we did get banged up early in camp last year but then it all kinda turned

Hmm ayers, Irving, Hillman and JT are all players I've said to look out for and were going to help complete our football team and I was laughed at, now look they are balling out almost every practice. Even guys that I said would have a good impact like Malik Jackson and Jeremy beal are looking very very good at getting to the passer.

I keep telling you doubters that this Denver team is twice as good as last years and will be close to unbeatable but no one believes me just like they didnt believe me about our young studs in the making and now look at them. Not very many holes and a whole lot of strengths on this team.

All 32 teams have TC hype and optimism. Some of it will make good and a lot won't. You're counting your eggs before they hatch. Don't blame your Bronco fan comrades for having enough perspective to understand that not everyone who looks good in practice will turn into a stud.

Day 8 camp tweeters

MileHighReport ‏@MileHighReport 14m

Bailey on Decker one-on-one goal line is a huge treat. Decker schooled Bailey twice, cut 24 out of his sneakers. Bailey held up 3rd time.

MileHighReport ‏@MileHighReport 29m

Watching drills I think, "Wow who's that DB with the fast turnaround?" Why it's new camper Nigel Malone

MileHighReport ‏@MileHighReport 1h

Players are in shorts today, semi-respite before the stadium practice tomorrow night

Kim Constantinesco @PredomOrange

We have Duke Ihencho running with the 1's in place of Mike Adams. Great safety battle here.

Troy Miller @TheTroyMiller

DPO: Ryan Lilja works as newest Broncos center with second team; Derek Wolfe not on field.

WATCH: DBs practice blocking, footwork. #BroncosCamp

WATCH: DBs catch drill. #BroncosCamp http://fb.me/2LksDb9XX

“@Marc100Prcnt: @MileHighReport Anything on Quanterus?” He is out there running all drills it looks like. #BroncosCamp

Darren McKee @dmac1043

Vickerson beating the crap out of bags. Damn. These fellas are freaky big and strong pic.twitter.com/wWKD9djgCn

Defensive line drills #broncos http://instagram.com/p/chNW3rhwbx/

WATCH: Defensive linemen shuffle through dummies, pounding to the ground. #BroncosCamp http://fb.me/2zeBGvg5b

Eric Decker got the best of Champ in the back corner of the end zone. Touchdown!

Darren McKee @dmac1043

Funny moment manning in a goal line throwing drill to recievers tells the ref in the corner to "look out" which basically is telling the cb That its a corner route. On the snap dt heads corner and breaks to goal line catching the ball in front of Boldin. So even in practice Manning is trying to psyche out the corner by vocally using the ref as a decoy. Funny. Also decker got the best of champ - TWICE in goalline

Kirk Michael Davis @Kaptain_Kirk62

Chris Clark leads another scrum for second consecutive day

Ryan Lilja not working with the starters yet in team drills, but is watching from just behind LOS with OL coach Dave Magazu

#BroncosCamp Injury Update:

CB DRC - Ankle

LT R Clady - Shoulder

DT D Wolfe - Ankle

DT S Williams - Knee

TE J Tamme - Quad

#BroncosCamp Injury Update:

Returned To Practice:

DE Q Smith - Knee

LB L McCray - Shoukder

S Q Carter - Knee

RB J Johnson - Knee

WR Bubba Caldwell having a very, very strong practice today. Badly needed for him. #BroncosCamp

Gray Caldwell @GrayCaldwell

Fox also said Derek Wolfe missed practice with an illness. "We sent him home to get well and not infect our other players."

Coach Fox said Sylvester Williams (knee) is "getting a lot closer" to returning to the field.

Darren McKee @dmac1043

Gase says hillman has been really impressive the past two days saying he busted a long one (TD) tdy. Which he did

Gase on RB Ronnie Hillman: "The last two days, he's been very impressive. ... Every day is a huge improvement for him."

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver

Rahim Moore & Duke Ihenacho worked together at S extensively today. Also worked out together in the offseason & are "like twins," Moore said

Del Rio on most impressive player so far in #BroncosCamp: "Probably Duke (Ihenacho) has been the guy that has made the biggest jump."

RT @andy850KOA: Montee Ball telling Davis he was his hero growing up. Davis, "That makes me feel old."

#BroncosCamp RT @andy850KOA: Del Rio cautions not to read much in to first week depth charts.

Montee Ball still giddy over meeting TD. "I've been thinking of this moment since I was 7." Said he can't wait to tell his parents about it.

Terrell Davis said he gives every Bronco the green light to do the Mile High salute after a score

DPO: Denver Broncos CB Champ Bailey named to Madden NFL All-25 Team. http://dpo.st/14NeQbD #NFL #Broncos

Denver Broncos 2013 Training Camp: Running Backs Rally on Day Eight

On the eight day of training camp practices, and with Terrell Davis in attendance, Ronnie Hillman and Montee Ball did their best to put on a show. They succeeded.

"I've been thinking about this moment since I was seven years old," an overwhelmed Montee Ball said to a group of reporters after Broncos training camp practice Friday. "Meeting Terrell Davis. And I did right now. So it's crazy for me."

Terrell Davis, arguably the greatest running back in Denver Broncos history, was in attendance at training camp on Friday, the eighth day of practices. Davis, who was on-site reporting for the NFL Network, met Ball after practice and discussed being a rookie and being a running back in Denver; you could even see Terrell giving Montee a few pointers (video).

"I guess throughout practice I caught myself checking over and looking at him," said Ball, laughing. "I'm like, 'Man I gotta stay focused on what's going on in the huddle.'"

Davis also spent about 15 minutes talking to the media about Ball, Ronnie Hillman, and the history of his Broncos dealing with expectations and disappointing losses. We'll have much more from that interview later. For now, on to the Day Eight practice report.

Appropriately, it was the running backs' day.

Roll Call

Both DB Quinton Carter and RB Jeremiah Johnson, who missed Thursday's practice with respective knee injuries, were back at work today, along with DE Quanterus Smith. Smith had his left knee wrapped.

Players were in shorts instead of full pads Friday, likely a brief respite before the stadium scrimmage-practice to come Saturday. Derek Wolfe missed practice with an illness; Coach Fox said he sent him home not wanting to get his teammates sick.

Ryan Clady (shoulder) remained limited; Justin Boren (toe) and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (ankle) were not dressed, as expected, while Jacob Tamme (quad) and Sylvester Williams (knee) continued to miss time.

I asked Coach Fox how much practice Clady would need before he would be ready to play in the regular season. "I like to give a guy about a week to do that," Fox said. "Whenever that is, we will be cautious. He is a very important cog to our offense and to our football team. But to put a timeline on it right now is kind of hard."

Injury Report

No new injuries to report. Regarding Sylvester Williams, Coach Fox said, "he is getting a lot closer."

Play of the Day

I'm jumping straight into the Play of the Day today because it is appropriate, given today's running backs theme. Friday's big play was easily Ronnie Hillman's big 60-yard run during 11-on-11 work.

Hillman's job was made easy by some phenomenal blocking by Denver's o-line, particularly on the left side with Chris Clark leading the charge. Granted, players weren't in full pads, but there was a good deal of physicality today nonetheless (another scrum broke out) - the o-line's blocking was legit. Combined with Demaryius Thomas' block, Ronnie Hillman found a hole a few yards wide, then burst to the second level.

"That was a hole as big as the Grand Canyon," Hillman said after practice. "D.T. did a great job blocking downfield too. It was nice."

Hillman was left with one man to beat - safety Duke Ihenacho. Hillman bust a spin move that left Ihenacho trailing as he ran into the end zone. I'm not sure, if going full speed and full contact, Ihenacho makes that tackle or not, but Hillman burst through for a touchdown nonetheless. Easily the play of the day, and one of the best plays of camp.

Fight! Round Two

It was the second day in a row where a fight broke out at Dove Valley, though this one was less chaotic as yesterday's 15-man cluster. Manning's first pass in 11-on-11 was batted up by Tony Carter and intercepted by Danny Trevathan. When Chris Clark went to bring him down, he pulled Trevathan's facemask, sparking the keg, so to speak. Things quickly elevated - literally. Orlando Franklin hopped on the backs of the crowd like he didn't weigh 320 lbs. The scrum broke pretty quickly.

"You don’t ever want to hurt a teammate," Jack Del Rio said of the fight. "You always want to play with control. So I wouldn’t say (fights are) good, but at the same time this is a game of men. Sometimes men have differences that have to be settled."

Avoiding Peyton Manning Hypnosis

"Peyton Manning Hypnosis" is a term I've used a few times on Twitter. It's the tendency to get used to how great #18 looks out there - becoming accustomed to every accurate throw and each perfectly-timed toss. I try to avoid it. It's hard. The Broncos, with Manning under center, and Eric Decker, Demaryius Thomas, and Wes Welker leading the charge, are really damn good.

So today I noted how well Manning was doing his check-downs and reading his routes. I noticed him talking at length to Joel Dreessen today - the second straight day doing so, clearly making sure he and his tight end are on the same page. He and Demaryius Thomas are in better sync this year than they were a year ago - they are clearly the most dangerous combination at Broncos camp (hopefully in any camp across the NFL).

Was Manning perfect? No. He had the interception that led to the fight, and he was off on a handful of throws in individual work. But when I look back and think of the training camps I attended where Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow were getting the majority of snaps, I have to pause and marvel.

Peyton Manning is truly magnificent. I better pay attention.

Position Battles

Center and Guard

Manny Ramirez manned the top spot at center, even with Ryan Lilja's arrival for his first Broncos practice. The 31-year-old Bronco snapped to Brock Osweiler with the two's in practice, which saw C.J. Davis, who was previously playing backup center, slide over to left guard. Davis took that guard spot from Ben Garland.

"My head's spinning a little bit," Lilja said yesterday of his fast introduction to the playbook. It may take him a bit to truly be able to compete for that starting job with Manny - he even reportedly had a few bobbled snaps today.

Safety

I didn't see either David Bruton or Mike Adams take any snaps from Duke Ihenacho at first team safety. I may have missed it, but it looks like the Broncos are getting more and more comfortable with a starting unit of Rahim Moore and Duke Ihenacho.

"We’re not getting ahead of ourselves," defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio said of Ihenacho. "It hasn’t occurred in a game or anything like that. But he’s worked hard and made plays and earned time to continue, to see if he can continue."

Linebacker

I came into this practice wanting to scout linebackers a little more closely - particularly at middle linebacker, where Nate Irving and Stewart Bradley haven't really done a lot to stand out, either positively or negatively. With the Broncos only in shorts today I wasn't able to fulfill that goal, but I did note some of the movements on the depth chart, and scout them in general.

Steven Johnson remains the most versatile linebacker on the roster, playing at all three positions in different packages at camp. I saw him with a nice pass break-up against the speedy Trindon Holliday late in practice, just a few plays after breaking through Knowshon Moreno's pass block for a pressure on Zac Dysert. Undrafted rookie Lerentee McCray had back-to-back nice plays as well, with a nice tackle near the line of scrimmage followed by a pass deflection on Brock Osweiler - no easy feat, given the backup quarterback's height.

As far as the roster goes, both Johnson and McCray are on the outside looking in due to the sheer amount of talent the Broncos have accrued. McCray is a prime candidate for the practice squad, but unfortunately Steven Johnson is not after being active for 11 games last season - he's ineligible. 2012's co-leading special teams tackler for the Broncos has to impress in preseason to justify taking a very valuable roster spot on a very talented team.

Defensive Line

With Wolfe out, Malik Jackson saw even more time, while Kevin Vickerson and Terrance Knighton continue to solely split first team reps with Sylvester Williams on the mend. Sealver Siliga had a nice practice, getting in my notebook a few times.

Check out this video of Knighton, Mitch Unrein, and Jeremy Beal hitting the bags.

Who Won Today - Andre Caldwell

Bubba had a strong practice. Maybe he read our stock report on risers and fallers in camp, because boy did he need it. With Greg Orton and Tavarres King continually making plays, Caldwell had become the forgotten man, but he really stood out to me today. He had a great, tough grab against newcomer Nigel Malone in red zone one-on-one work, then followed that up with another impressive touchdown against Kayvon Webster. Both were tough grabs near the edge of the end zone - Caldwell caught the ball and got his feet planted both times. He and Brock Osweiler were finding a nice rhythm in early hurry up work - he hauled in two consecutive catches there - then capped off his practice with another good catch from Brock in the corner of the end zone.

Runner Up: Eric Decker. Specifically, against Champ Bailey. In one-on-one goal line/red zone work, Decker and Bailey squared off three times. Decker beat Champ for a very tough catch in the corner of the end zone the first go around. The second time, Decker really burned Bailey, cutting outside so fast Bailey had no chance of making a play and was left in Decker's dust. The third time, Bailey was able to jam Decker up, knocking him off his route, but Decker got the better of Bailey overall in that fun battle.

Runners Up #2: Running Backs. They got to meet and greet the great Terrell Davis, who was very open with the current Broncos. Just too cool. Both Ball and Hillman had solid days, not even including Hillman's big run.

Who Lost Today - Nobody

A few players struggled here and there, but everyone I thought started to struggle played better later. Except for Zac Dysert, but I'm tired of picking on Zac Dysert. #TeamKatz

Next Practice

The next practice is the big one! The Summer Scrimmage at Sports Authority Field at Mile High Stadium. Gates open at 5; practice starts at 7. That makes today my last practice this year at Dove Valley. It's been my best camp experience yet, by far. I'll finish out at the stadium tomorrow.

Day 8 pictures

IMG_0869_gallery_post.JPG

Ryan Lilja does not look 31 years old.

IMG_9922_gallery_post.JPG

Montee Ball instantly got better after this conversation.

IMG_9539_gallery_post.JPG

Von Miller spots some titties in the distance.

IMG_9832_gallery_post.JPG

Peyton Manning bullies a small child.

IMG_9736_gallery_post.JPG

Idk I just love both these guys.

IMG_9587_gallery_post.JPG

MDMA coursing through his veins, Von Miller prepares for another drill.

IMG_9676_gallery_post.JPG

That chick in the front row has really nice legs.

IMG_9509_gallery_post.JPG

Jack Del Rio laughs at his own joke.

IMG_9640_gallery_post.JPG

Terrell Davis receives the kill order through his earpiece.

loving the Nacho.

Camp recap by Mike Klis:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_23873825/broncos-good-and-bad-training-camp-that-just

And on the final day of training camp, John Fox showed mercy.

The Broncos coach was a tough son of a gun throughout, ordering his players to practice in pads nearly every morning workout for the past 2½ weeks.

All along, Fox knew where the finish line was. And only he knew it was placed a little shorter than scheduled. Fox canceled the Thursday evening walk-through.

Go home, guys. Players were able to check out of the team hotel by early Thursday afternoon and sleep in their own beds Thursday night.

"It has been a physical camp," said Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning, who has been going to NFL training camps since his boss, John Elway, was a quarterback in 1998. "We are in full pads just about every day, which certainly can take a toll physically on players, but guys have pushed and worked through that. It's the only way to really get a real idea of what kind of team you are going to have and how guys hold up in full contact."

There were some consequences. Dan Koppen, called in to replace the injured J.D. Walton at starting center, suffered a season-ending torn anterior cruciate ligament.

"That was a kick in the stomach," Fox said. "You occasionally have those."

Indeed, in the final camp practice Thursday, running back C.J. Anderson went down with a right knee injury. One of the camp surprises who likely had earned a spot on the 53-man roster, Anderson will be out four to six weeks with a sprained medial collateral ligament.

To replace Koppen, the Broncos called in veteran offensive lineman Ryan Lilja, from retirement. Although Anderson's injury was not as serious as feared, the timing of it might allow the ever-dependable Lance Ball to become the No. 5 back behind Ronnie Hillman, Montee Ball, Knowshon Moreno and Jacob Hester.

"It's been a good camp," said Elway, the Broncos' executive vice president of football operations. "It will be a good test for us this weekend in Seattle. I think we got better."

All that pad popping in practice had its benefits. Specifically, the physicality helped reveal an undrafted second-year strong safety named Duke Ihenacho.

The good and the bad of the Broncos' training camp:

The good: "Highlight of training camp?" cornerback Champ Bailey said in repeating the question. "It's hard not to say something about this guy."

Sitting in front of him was Ihenacho. As a rookie last year, the San Jose State product spent 13 weeks on the Broncos' practice squad. Two weeks into his second professional camp, Ihenacho replaced veteran Mike Adams as Rahim Moore's starting safety partner.

Adams remains the Broncos' top backup safety, and he will come in on nickel situations. But Ihenacho will stay in, too.

"Duke surprised most people. Not me, really," Bailey said. "Even last year, you could see this guy could play, but he's young, trying to find his way. But once OTAs (organized team activities) hit? You could see his confidence. Aggression. Playmaking."

Camp also might have elevated No. 3 quarterback Zac Dysert, a seventh-round rookie, from the practice squad to the 53-man roster, and second-year defensive tackle Malik Jackson from seldom-used to the No. 1 nickel package. And don't count out undrafted rookie linebacker Lerentee McCray.

In the final week of camp, Manning and a new slot receiver named Wes Welker connected for several nice completions.

The bad: There were a high ankle sprain to cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and knee injuries to tight end Joel Dreessen, safety Quinton Carter and running back Moreno.

More worrisome was how a double dose of off-field trouble for star linebacker Von Miller might leak into on-field problems. Disciplined by the league for violating its drug policy, Miller will appeal his four-game suspension Tuesday.

His recent arrest on a warrant for failing to appear in court regarding traffic violations does not figure to bring additional punishment from the NFL, but it won't help gain sympathy points in his appeal process.

There is hope Miller's suspension could be reduced, but the Broncos understand they might well have to play the Baltimore Ravens, New York Giants, Oakland Raiders and Philadelphia Eagles without their best pass rusher. And their former second-best pass rusher, Elvis Dumervil, is now playing for the Ravens.

"It's bad enough losing Elvis, but you've got to get past that and we've got some guys who can play," Bailey said. "The thought of losing Von scares me, but we've got to find a way."

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055, mklis@denverpost.com or twitter.com/mikeklis

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking good

• Seventh-round pick Zac Dysert appears to have locked down a roster spot as a quarterback.

• Duke Ihenacho,a practice-squad player last year, has moved past safety Mike Adams into the starting lineup.

• Defensive tackle Malik Jackson is in the nickel package.

And not so much

• Von Miller, already on the hook for a drug-related suspension, was arrested last weekend.

• Dan Koppen, signed to replace injured center J.D. Walton, himself is hurt, creating a scramble.

• Others injured include Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Joel Dreessen and Knowshon Moreno.

We've had a really great camp. Seen some stars rise like Nacho, and some promising prospects secure roster spots like Malik Jackson and Q Smith. Overall, I think we've been really fortunate with the injury bug in comparison to other teams in the league. DRC will be fine, and as far as the center position goes I feel we still have a solid presence there and we can scheme to assist ManRam or Lilja or whoever is in there.