Sign in to follow this  
AL_Royalty

Eric Berry's expanded role

ST. JOSEPH — Chiefs strong safety Eric Berry just may be capable of pulling off a rare double this season.

The way the Chiefs are using Berry — as a pass rusher as well as a pass defender — he just could rank among the team’s leaders in both interceptions and sacks.

“I’m going to be all over the place,” Berry said of his role in defensive coordinator Bob Sutton’s aggressive scheme.

Berry, in fact, needs a road map as much as a playbook to figure out where he’s lining up from play to play.

He’s the strong safety in the base defense. He can be a blitzing safety or cover safety in the nickel defense. And he’s a linebacker in the dime defense.

“I really had to get into my playbook because there are certain things I didn’t know how to do in the past,” said Berry, in his fourth season with the Chiefs. “I have to know what to do as a linebacker … sometimes I’m rushing off the edge. Sometimes I have to stay on top of my game before … like with the safety position.

“There are just so many different things that I have to know what to do, and I pretty much just cause confusion on the opposing offense. I guess that’s my job.”

—Randy Covitz, Kansas City Star

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/05/4390371/chiefs-envision-eric-berry-as.html#storylink=cpy

This is exactly what should have been going on every game, from day one. Berry took a "step back" last season, but did he really? He wasn't used the same as he was in his rookie year, blitzing and playing the run with tenacity. He was used in a dumbed down role that didn't even let him scratch the surface of his potential or talent level.

Look out, every offense that the Chiefs face. If the Chiefs can finally live up the the talent level on the roster, Eric Berry will become a household name.

Edited by B-isforBowe

Not to say that he won't be better, but yeah- he did really take a step back last year. Gates made him look like a rookie free agent.

Not to say that he won't be better, but yeah- he did really take a step back last year. Gates made him look like a rookie free agent.

That's the thing though. He was never really a super strong one-on-one defender, even in his very impressive rookie season. He's much better at playing the "wild-card role." He's not built to just come up and guard a Gates all game. It's not his strongest suit, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a safety who could really excel in that role.

That's the thing though. He was never really a super strong one-on-one defender, even in his very impressive rookie season. He's much better at playing the "wild-card role." He's not built to just come up and guard a Gates all game. It's not his strongest suit, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a safety who could really excel in that role.

That was anecdotal, but my point is that he really was bad last year in coverage. I'm sure usage was a big part of it, but I was surprised to say the least.

That was anecdotal, but my point is that he really was bad last year in coverage. I'm sure usage was a big part of it, but I was surprised to say the least.

You're certainly not wrong at all. I'd say that coverage is his only weakness honestly. He's gotta get better there, but I'm confident that he'll get it. His problem is that he's just so aggressive. He has to learn to let the game come to him sometimes. If a guy puts a double move on him, it's pretty much just matter of the QB getting the ball to him. He's gonna bite almost every time, without fail. If he can be more disciplined in coverage, he'll be the best safety in the game. I believe that without question.

You're certainly not wrong at all. I'd say that coverage is his only weakness honestly. He's gotta get better there, but I'm confident that he'll get it. His problem is that he's just so aggressive. He has to learn to let the game come to him sometimes. If a guy puts a double move on him, it's pretty much just matter of the QB getting the ball to him. He's gonna bite almost every time, without fail. If he can be more disciplined in coverage, he'll be the best safety in the game. I believe that without question.

Wait, I'm confused... so if he can be more disciplined in coverage, he'll turn into Eric Weddle?