Sign in to follow this  
BwareDWare94

NPR Streaming Eric Church's New Album

http://www.npr.org/2014/02/02/267029367/first-listen-eric-church-the-outsiders

For you country fans. I'll forewarn you, he was serious when he said they weren't worrying about genre. Lots of influences on this one, but if you're open to it, it's honestly pretty damn good.

I saw this posted on his FB page. I'm gonna listen to it in a little bit. What type of sound does it have to it, Bware?

I saw this posted on his FB page. I'm gonna listen to it in a little bit. What type of sound does it have to it, Bware?

It varies by the song. I'd say it's a rock/blues kind of record with some folk/bluegrass mixed in. The only song that stands out as mainstream is probably "Talladega," which is catchy as hell but I don't like the similarities it has with modern pop country.

It's a good record, but it's strange, man. The final track "The Joint" is just odd. Devil Devil is probably my favorite track. It's got a nice 3 and a half minute prelude of spoken word, then transitions into a really catchy 4 and a half minute song with great lyrics.

Edited by BwareDWare94

I'm only about halfway through the album and you're right - it definitely varies by song. Don't know how I feel about it yet. No song has really got my full attention yet. Talladega will probably be the next single on the radio.

Yeah, to me it's essentially 40-50 minutes of trying to fit square pegs in round holes. Artistic freedom is great but albums are supposed to be cohesive and The Outsiders is anything but cohesive. He's still at his best when it's stripped down to him and a guitar, so I dunno.

I really like "Talladega" but take a listen to Luke Bryan's song "Buzzkill" and the melody is almost exact. I think "Buzzkill is one of the last great songs LB released, but how similar "Talladega" is just astounds me.

Easily his weakest album.