Sign in to follow this  
ATL_Predator

Browns interested in Derek Carr?

Sources tell NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah that the Browns are very interested in Fresno State QB Derek Carr.

If true, the Browns will be a candidate to move down from the No. 4 spot as Carr is currently considered a borderline first-round prospect. Then again, it could be one of many smokescreens we'll see ahead of the May 8 draft. It was previously reported by CBS' Jason La Canfora that the Browns are willing to trade up to get Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel.
Related: Browns
Source: Danpatrick.com

A move down would be perfect to draft him. Although it really wouldn't be that smart either because of the chances he goes before whatever they move down to...

Based on potential he is easily a first rounder, and I would take him based off of that. But he'd need time. Which isn't what the cool kids do anymore...

Makes sense. While Carr is a Spread QB he has made more pro throws than Manziel. While it seems that the stock of Johnny Football is up and down depending on who you talk to, I believe the overall thought behind closed doors is that he isn't a first round pick. Now Carr on the other hand has one of the strongest arms in the group and isn't slow at all if you've watched him play.

My comparison for Carr has been Jay Cutler. He's got the arm (though weaker than Cutler's but still really good), he's underrated speed wise, and he's a gunslinger. He's gonna try and fit it into tight windows. The past two years though his foot work is one of the sloppiest I've seen. He's constantly throwing without setting his feet and because of it his ball placement is all over the place. There's been questions about his pocket presence, it was really questionable in 2012 to the fact to where I didn't even think he was draftable. Turns out he had a hernia or injury of some sort to his core and obviously if you have that you're going to look skittish with 270-300 lbs guys running at you. This past year his pocket presence was a lot better but it still showed up in a few games, notably San Diego State and USC (Bowl game, and the best team he played all year.)

Late 1st, early 2nd sounds about right. He's like Cutler and Stafford though, just not on their level. They're what you call headache QBs. They have the talent but they're just so inconsistent, like a tease. Carr's not on their level and I don't think he ever will be — he can be a decent starter probably but that's about it. He does have great leadership skills and is a great locker room guy. But in terms of his on the field play he leaves a lot to be desired.

If my team drafted him I'd expect to compete but usually ultimately fall short when the real games started because of his inconsistent play.

Personally this whole top=tier QB class seems one great QB coach away from being quality starters. Now their personality and capacity to learn factors in, but from technique standpoint they all have the talent and just need some molding. However, Manziel vs. Carr I think Carr will take a shorter amount of time to develop.