Sign in to follow this  
butta54

Boom or Bust

Another topic to throw around to fill the extra time leading up to the draft...

While there are alot of things that go into hitting big in the draft. Which positions (besides QB) is it easier to end up being a bust? And which positions are more likely to end up with being high caliber players (or at least productive) and why?

Edited by butta55

Guess I'll get the ball rolling on this one....

-Besides QBs, I think a position that is easy to become a bust is tight end and linebacker.

• I pick Tight End because of the number of skills that it takes to be successful at the position. You have to block on the line like a lineman, run crisp enonugh routes to gain separation like a receiver, and sometimes move in a full back spot and lead block. Tight end is tough especially in this era where teams aren't satisfied anymore with a one-dimensional player at tight end. To be great at the position you will have to be well-rounded because coaches want to spread the field in many types of ways and the more you can do the more snaps you will see. A number of guys come into the league as a one skill-set type of player, and even if you are an amazing blocking Tight End prospect you will get a roster spot, but you'll never be consider a next level player. And while some people argue that all Tight Ends need to do is be "big receivers" I believe that if you are just a "flex" guy you won't be a next level player either.

• Linebacker is a position that depends on alot of moving parts, namely the defensive line in front of you. While block shedding is a valuable skill, we don't expect any player to come in and defeat three blocks every play to make a tackle. The defensive line in front of a linebacker could be the difference between some poor stats and some really good ones, and in this league everyone is looking at numbers. LBs, like Tight Ends, have a number of skills packed into one position, but the difference is the one skill-set guys are ok because you have multiple LB positions that call for different skills. However, your success does alot on if the other players are taking care of their responsibilites and if they aren't you could end up looking pretty bad in the eyes of evaluators. Also, in the same thought good defenders get lost on bad (statistical) defenses all the time. You could have the talent and IQ to thrive in another system, but being apart of a bad unit makes you look just as bad to the untrained eye.

Positions that are easier to succeed at has to start and end with guard

• Simply guards are alot more protected on the offensive line. Working in the interior allows guards to pick up what's left of the pass rush or help out with threats. Mainly because about 90% of the time one of the guards will be uncovered on a play and is free to help. A stout & strong handed player with good size and decent feet could immediately make a impact as a guard and be effective for a long time.

Boom

Khalil Mack, OLB - Best pass rusher in the draft

Sammy Watkins, WR - I think he will develop into an elite receiver in this league.

C.J Mosley, ILB - This kid is a straight stud. He will have multiple probowls under his belt throughout his career.

Allen Robinson, WR - I think he will be the 2nd best WR prospect coming out.

Stephon Tuitt, DE - I think this kid will be a monster up front.

Bust

Kelvin Benjamin, WR - Mike Williams 2.0

Marqise Lee, WR - A.J Jenkins 2.0

More to come. Watching more film