Sign in to follow this  
Favre4Ever

49ers Were Ready to Hire Adam Gase as Head Coach

NFL Media's Albert Breer reported Monday that the former Broncos -- and current Bears -- play-caller likely would have landed the Niners job if he agreed to hire Jim Tomsula as his defensive coordinator, according to a source apprised of the situation.

Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News was told a similar story by an NFL source who said that Gase "turned that suggestion down flat."

Breer was told that Gase's pitch to 49ers' brass was to either keep Vic Fangio in place as defensive coordinator or hire away Bengals assistant Vance Joseph from Cincinnati. Fangio might have left San Francisco anyway -- and theBengals blocked Joseph from seeking other jobs -- but Gase was not about to be told who his coordinators would be.

When talks with Gase broke down, the 49ers quickly hired Tomsula, who turned around and named Eric Mangini his defensive play-caller before promoting quarterbacks coach Geep Chryst to offensive coordinator. Neither were hot names this offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000470704/article/what-kept-adam-gase-from-landing-49ers-top-job?campaign=facebook_atn_sessler

This love affair the 49ers have with Tomsula is beyond bizarre. I don't think it really matters, because I don't think Gase would work out as a HC, but... I dunno. Strange. Ha.

Big props to Gasey for standing his ground in lieu of making a lot more money. Not surprised he's tired of people telling him what to do after working with Peyton Manning for 3 years.