Sign in to follow this  
oochymp

Moving games for Hurricane Matthew

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17732658

That's a clip of Schefty talking about the potential for games to be moved because of Hurricane Matthew. The main game of concern is Tennessee @ Miami, but Tampa @ Carolina Monday night could apparently also be impacted.

The two options he mentioned for Tennessee @ Miami were moving the game to Tennessee or pushing it back to Monday night. I'm not sure what they're looking at for Tampa @ Carolina, I don't know that they'd want to push a game to Tuesday, though Tampa is going into a bye week and Tuesday to Sunday is a better turnaround than Sunday to Thursday which they're doing regularly. It would really suck for Carolina if they moved it to Tampa since Tampa is a divisional opponent, not sure if they'll take that into consideration.

As far as neutral sites, Paul Kuharsky provided this list of eastern/central NFL cities that aren't hosting a game this weekend: Houston, Cincinnati, Buffalo, KC, New Orleans, Chicago, NY, Washington. He also said he's heard Atlanta isn't being considered for Tennessee/Miami, which I think means that's open. It'd be pretty hilarious to see Tampa play Carolina in the Superdome, especially since Carolina is scheduled to play there next week anyway.

Dade County is resuming normal operations tomorrow (public transportation, trash pick-up, etc.), so the Dolphins game should be fine for Sunday.

As for Carolina, the storm is projected to loop back around into the Atlantic by Monday, so that should be good too. The only concern is the storm making landfall and traveling through the Carolinas. We'll have to wait and see.

Dade County is resuming normal operations tomorrow (public transportation, trash pick-up, etc.), so the Dolphins game should be fine for Sunday.

As for Carolina, the storm is projected to loop back around into the Atlantic by Monday, so that should be good too. The only concern is the storm making landfall and traveling through the Carolinas. We'll have to wait and see.

Is it really going to be over with that quickly?

Is it really going to be over with that quickly?

Essentially, it's already over in Dade County. We may get some intense winds late tonight, but the weather in Miami will be fine on Saturday, let alone Sunday.

I think the NFL is probably just waiting to see how hard it actually hits. The interesting point Schefty made was about the resources needed, an NFL game requires a lot: security, medics, etc. Those resources might be needed elsewhere in the community and it could look bad if the NFL is occupying those resources. Then again, sports often offers a great return to normalcy after a natural disaster, so it could be good local PR if the game happens as scheduled. I do think the NFL is going to try to hold the game in Miami as scheduled if at all possible.

• Upvote 1