Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

Spin Doctor

Got this idea because my team lost this week after I had both feet firmly cemented on the Hype Train or the Hypemobile if you prefer lol. My fellow Eagles fan Steven is raining on my parade because he's secretly a Pats fan or something but that's ok because I'm going to spin this loss into making it look like we're going to be fine. You can do the same with your team if they lost or maybe with another team for fun if your team won or you have multiple teams (looking at you BWare.)

So the Eagles lost to the Redskins this week. Their second loss in a row after a 3-0 start. Their defense looked...bad. The Skins did whatever they wanted against us. Offensively it was clear that Big V was not ready, maybe he sucks but I won't say that just yet being that it was his first start ever. For the second week in a row the Eagles had 12+ penalties for well over 100 yards and a lot of them came in back breaking, crucial situations. I think the Skins got away with holding on offense a lot but I also admit Jalen Mills got away with a lot in coverage, one particularly egregious hold in the end zone against Garcon I think. Either way, the Eagles were out played and out coached on Sunday and if they managed to win it would have been purely by the graces of Carson tha gawd finding his rhythm in the 4th and moving the offense. We were a Zach Ertz drop away from tying that game because if we only needed a FG on the second shot we'd have gotten it imo.

ANYWAY. The Eagles weren't getting whistled for penalties like this the first three weeks which leads me to believe that it's somewhat correctable. I think we have to kick Barbre out to RT and I know the Eagles are high on Seumalo but I think we really should go with the veteran Wisniewski at LG and I believe that our OL would at least be passable with 3 good players and 2 below average to average players. It might take a few games to gel but these guys stand a way better chance of getting calls and protections right and not making the mental mistakes that rookies will make when they get thrown out there. We've seen Carson Wentz has pocket awareness and mobility so just give the guy a chance and he'll make plays. I think this is the best OL combo to do that.

Defensively our CB's are what they are for the most part. I think Jalen Mills is a decent player and might get better as the season goes on but aside form that McKelvin is bad, Carroll looked horrible this week. I think the Eagles LB's not being able to fill gaps was a big problem. Not sure we have a solution to that. Our defensive line is good enough that in the right match ups our defense will look awesome in some games but we have to get after the QB and we have to force turnovers. We can do both of those things. We have two very good safeties and it is a strength of Hicks as well and obviously we have enough pass rushers to force the issue. We might need to go against the Scwartz philosophy a little and blitz some more because we'll start to get there with that defensive line.

Special teams have been awesome. Kick/punt coverage. The return game and Sturgis have all been on the money. The Eagles win just about every match up there.

I think we can still be a good enough team to win ball games and compete even against this tough schedule and we know if we can hit Sam Bradford next week he could let us hang in there and get a fluky win against a much better team. I still have hope. I still believe.

When I want to see what the worst kind of fan is, the kind of fan who doesn't know jack shit about football and doesn't live in reality in regard to his team, I watch those videos. My god, he just says one dumb thing after another.