Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Jon Gruden feels Cam Newton is best player in draft

The Carolina Panthers are on the NFL draft clock and as far as Jon Gruden is concerned, the suspense is over. "I think Cam Newton's the best player in the country,'' the former coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers said Friday afternoon after leading the former Auburn quarterback through passing drills at the University of South Florida. "I agree with the Heisman Trophy people that gave him the award. He's got everything I'm looking for.'' At Gruden's command, Newton fired tight spirals that proved difficult to handle for some of his receivers. The 6-foot-6, 250-pound prospect also lofted several deep sideline passes right on target. Newton's film session in Gruden's office and his workout at USF were filmed by ESPN as part of a one-hour special that will air April 21, a week before the draft. "I love being around these players,'' said Gruden. "I miss coaching, but this is as close as it gets. We've had most of the top quarterback prospects here in the last few weeks. There are three juniors, Newton, (Blaine) Gabbert and (Ryan) Mallett, who, if they had stayed in school, may be a little more polished, but these are physically talented people. I think Andy Dalton (TCU) and Jake Locker (Washington) have some real upside as well.''

Source: Tampa Tribune

I like Gruden, but sometimes I think he hits the hippie lettuce a bit too hard. I could MAYBE understand if he said Newton was the best prospect in the draft, because he certainly does have a ton of potential at a key position. But best player? No chance...

Of course he does...I know I've said this a million times, but...thank god he's gone.