Sign in to follow this  
FIDDYDEUCE

Texans NT?

Looking at how the Texans drafted this defense is looking very interesting. They adressed positions efficiently but are still lacking a NT. Time and time again Defensive Coordinator Wade Philips has said they don't need a "true" NT to play in his defense. But looking at the options they have at NT doesn't seem to suffice a 3-4. In Dallas he had Jay Ratliff who isn't what one would call a "true" NT but thankfully is a good enough player and has worked wonders with Wade's scheme. His scheme also features The Texans currently have 3 players at the positions all listed at around 300 and some change, two of those players (Okoye, Cody) -Eh, on Cody cause I think he's a FA anyway- aren't exactly the best players and the third (Earl Mitchell) I haven't seen enough of him to come to a conclusion.

Although Wade's "scheme" (:shrug:) wouldn't require a NT it seems unlikely to work with a player like Okoye who has gained weight to fit the position but who has also struggled as a 4-3 DT aside from I believe 1 season. They have options they could go to in Free Agency (whenever the fuck that happens). Pat Williams and Kris Jenkins are possibilities but are toward the end of their careers (IF they won't retire) and would be signed to a minimum deal as it is. Aubrayo Franklin is an unrestricted free agent and has played NT for the 9ers.

Is NT a gaping large hole for the Texans going into next season or is Wade's "scheme" going to patch that up? Obviously time will tell when the season starts (you know things look grimm when you took so long to get something done Bin Laden fucking dies...) but this is just food for thought.

Honestly, with all the pass rushers they got, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mario Williams play 1 gap Nose Tackle....

Ok that won't happen, Williams is gonna be the Bruce Smith of the defense, so I can see a guy like Okoye filling in just fine. Phillip's Nose Tackles just need to be one gap penetrators with a little bit more girth on them to handle the big boys. Remember that Jay Ratliff was his last Nose Tackle and he was a 7th rounder.

BLUE and I were talking about this in the Shoutbox last night, and it is a very good question to ask. Before the draft Wade Phillips stated that Shaun Cody (who they did re-sign) and Earl Mitchell were the prime candidates to play the nose. After the selection of J.J. Watt, Phillips said that Watt will definitely see some time at the nose on obvious passing downs. There are also rumors that Antonio Smith could see time there as well... Also I strongly believe Okoye will not be on the team next season.

This is one of the bigger mysteries that us Texans fans are just kind of left in the dark on, but since the Texans didn't draft a big-boy nose tackle last weekend it's a good guess that he is currently on our roster. What I do know is that Wade is going to have these guys jumping all over the place on the d-line, and he expects them all to be versatile enough to do so. He's also hinted at Mario playing rush linebacker at times.

I guess only time will tell...

Wade has run his 3-4 with big and small nose tackles. Ted Washington and Jamal Williams being some of his bigger guys, and Greg Kragen, Ed Jasper, and Jay Ratliff being the smaller guys. It'll be neat to see, but I doubt he has a dedicated Nose Tackle and really has his guys rotating like crazy.

Source: Houston Chronicle

"You have Watt, Smith and Amobi at end," Phillips said. "And in (passing situations), you have those three guys (moving inside)."

And for fans who wonder why the Texans didn't draft a nose tackle, Phillips is satisfied with Earl Mitchell and Shaun Cody. The starter will be responsible for one gap rather than two, meaning he wants the nose to get up the field and penetrate.

"I think we've got two good guys," Phillips said. "Cody played a lot of offset on the center last year, and the center couldn't cut him off. And every time (Mitchell) played, he looked outstanding to me. I think we're in good shape there."