Sign in to follow this  
AllYouNeedIsLovie

Willie McGinest works out with Lions

Willie McGinest retired three years ago after 15 NFL seasons, but the 39-year-old analyst for NFL Network might be ready to give football another try. "We're going to see if I get offered a contract now," McGinest said Friday after taking part in the Lions' player-organized workout at Birmingham Detroit Country Day. "After I send this tape out to a few teams, we're going to see." McGinest, a former linebacker, went through a circuit of heavy ropes and kettle bells with almost 30 Lions on their final day of player workouts, then took part in position drills with defensive linemen Kyle Vanden Bosch, Ndamukong Suh, Cliff Avril, Andre Fluellen and Willie Young. "Thank God I was in shape and I was able to do all the stuff," McGinest said. "It was a different type of workout, though. I've never experienced something like this with the Art of Strength. It was less football work, but it was a lot of core conditioning, getting the heart rate up. And talking to (trainer Mike Knight), this is one of those workouts they would implement like one or two days a week out of the other regular stuff you do as a change-up, which was good for me." McGinest commended the Lions for gathering so many players for their workouts -- attendance was regularly in the 30s for most of the eight sessions total from last month and this week -- and said that camaraderie could serve the team well come fall. "I like them," McGinest said. "I think they're a young team on the uprise. I think they did a great job in the draft, they're adding key pieces that they need. I just think if they can keep everybody healthy, if they can keep everybody on the field they can compete with anybody, especially in their division." McGinest played for the Patriots in 1994-2005 and the Browns in 2006-2008.

Source: Detroit Free Press

I've always liked the guy.... but sometimes you just have to let go. I wish him the best of luck.

:rolleyes:

Just fucking sign a one-day contract with the Pats, and ride off in the sunset, Willie.

Edited by Ryan Mallett

:rolleyes:

Just fucking sign a one-day contract with the Pats, and ride off in the sunset, Willie.

I agree. A 39 year old former player can not be effective anymore just based on the wear and tear the body goes through, in particular for linebackers on defense. Willie signing a one day contract, whenever the NFL lockout is concluded, would indeed be a great way to "finish" (end where he started his career back in 1994) his career by holding a press conference and other relevant activities.