Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

Is Philip Rivers the best Chargers QB ever?

It almost seems sacrilegious to explore this subject, especially in San Diego, but the time is right to ask the question: Is Philip Rivers a better quarterback than Dan Fouts?

The answer is yes.

Rivers never has won anything and Fouts is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, but if you can get past the cloud of Don Coryell pixie dust, then you know Fouts never won anything either.

It’s risky and often unfair to compare eras — a New York poll laughingly has Derek Jeter the No. 2 Yankee of all time behind Babe Ruth — but in this case I’ve seen both Chargers QBs play live, covered them both. Rivers is better, and I’m not taking anything away from Fouts.

Rivers is No. 1 because I believe he is, even though I never thought I’d be saying it.

Rivers has enough of a body of work to compare. His performance last year under almost unimaginable conditions for an NFL quarterback did it for me. How many quarterbacks in history could have squeezed nine wins out of that mess?

Source: Tribune

Fouts didn't win anything because he had no support from the defense. Rivers can't say the same.

Dan Fouts is in the fucking Hall of Fame. Phillip Rivers is still in line to buy an ticket to visit the HoF.

What an absurd statement. The author says "yes" and then spends the next 4-5 paragraphs basically questioning his own sanity for even broaching the subject.

How many quarterbacks in history could have squeezed nine wins out of that mess?

Well, asshole...I can name at least THREE....playing right fucking now. :rolleyes:

Rivers does what he does in a league that is geared way more towards passing, and he's had some of the best ball-catchers in the league on his team. I doubt rivers could throw for 4,800 yards and 33 TD in 1981.

Rivers does what he does in a league that is geared way more towards passing, and he's had some of the best ball-catchers in the league on his team. I doubt rivers could throw for 4,800 yards and 33 TD in 1981.

I'm not ready to say Rivers is better than Fouts, but I have to disagree with this.

Fouts may have had a better group of receivers than Rivers has now. Definitely better than Rivers had in 2010. Two of them are in the Hall of Fame. I can see Rivers achieving those numbers with that receiving corps and playing in a Coryell offense.

i like Rivers not sure hes the best Charger QB ever but he's the best since i've been watching the AFC West.

i like Rivers not sure hes the best Charger QB ever but he's the best since i've been watching the AFC West.

Same here, last season solidified it in my eyes. He racked up a ton of yards with 2nd and 3rd stringers.