Sign in to follow this  
bearsrule

the eagles

i think they will be really good but they still have weakness like the o-line and there linebacker and etc. (i am not hatin)

1. Welcome to the boards

2. Wrong forum. Eagles-speak generally goes to NFC East forum, you'll get more discussion there from Eagles fans and stuff. Just a helpful hint since you're new.

3. I agree with you, plus they have a DC who hasn't ever coached defense in his life. And a bunch of new core defensive players who will be playing under a system that's new to them, and new to their coach.

Edited by gobadgers77

1. Welcome to the boards

2. Wrong forum. Eagles-speak generally goes to NFC East forum, you'll get more discussion there from Eagles fans and stuff. Just a helpful hint since you're new.

3. I agree with you, plus they have a DC who hasn't ever coached defense in his life. And a bunch of new core defensive players who will be playing under a system that's new to them, and new to their coach.

thanks badgers i will put them in the right place next time. thanks u were the first person to respond to my post. and u didnt need to put that superbowl champions photo there no need to rub it in

You could always ask a mod to move it to the NFC East if you'd like. I think you'll have to ask someone who is blue or dark red. Yellow guys can only edit the forums that they're assigned to.

I think we made some nice moves but have questions, like every team at this point. I think the Pack are heads and tails better than us on paper, and are scary. If they can be as good as they were last season with the amount of injuries they had what happens when those guys they lost are playing? Don't wanna think about it.

A lot of it depends on this guy. (I'm mostly referring to Castillo... Clayton can be playing a big role too if one of our LB's doesn't keep up)

Castillo's Fire Sparks LB Clayton

By Bo Wulf

Posted Aug 17, 2011

It is the iconic imagine of the Eagles' 2011 training camp. Included in the 1,000 words said by the photograph of defensive coordinator Juan Castillo headbutting helmeted second-year linebacker Keenan Clayton would be intensity, dedication, sacrifice and, well, ouch.

CastilloHeadbutt.jpg

Much has been made of Castillo's fiery nature as the new steward of the Eagles defense, but what of the impact on the recipient of the infamous headbutt? Clayton and Castillo's meeting of the minds took place during the morning practice on August 1. It didn't take long for Clayton to start hearing about it.

"It actually hit twitter the same day. Before I got back to my room everybody was texting me and calling me, saying, 'What did you do now?'" said Clayton, who added that he does have a copy of the picture. "For the record, I was not in trouble, Juan was not yelling at me. He was just showing us to keep our head up and use our face on contact instead of dropping our heads.

"If he's going to headbutt me with my helmet on, he had nothing on, yeah, it let me know if he could do it and he's (51 years old) with no helmet, I can use my face with a helmet."

While Castillo's passion was exhibited in the clash with Clayton, it was on display throughout training camp. After what seemed like every play, Castillo would charge in from the sidelines, yelling and slapping players on the back as if every play were a fourth down in the Super Bowl. That kind of atmosphere was welcomed with open arms by Clayton, who has admitted in the past that he struggles to practice as well as he plays on game day.

"To a certain point, you feel like you need to match his intensity," said Clayton. "If he's going to be high-strung and have a lot of energy, it kind of just brings energy to everybody else. Sometimes you're just like 'Come on, Juan, calm down.' But at the end of the day ... what if he were just over there being quiet? Then we probably wouldn't have had any energy at all."

Clayton finds himself as the nominal fourth linebacker at the moment, with Jamar Chaney, Casey Matthews and Moise Fokou currently sitting as the three starting linebackers. But Clayton is considered to be perhaps the best of the team's linebackers in coverage and has worked with the first-team nickel defense, so he should see plenty of the field in his second season.

And when he finds himself facing a ball-carrier with a chance to make a tackle, one thing's for sure - Clayton will keep his head up.

Edited by westbrookforsix

False. That was in incorrect report by Hugh Douglas during the Eagles preseason game. He never coached defense in the NFL... but he was a DC at a Texas High School (arguably most competitive state in the nation) for 4 years, and he coached linebackers and the DL at Texas A&M for a bunch of years too.

False. That was in incorrect report by Hugh Douglas during the Eagles preseason game. He never coached defense in the NFL... but he was a DC at a Texas High School (arguably most competitive state in the nation) for 4 years, and he coached linebackers and the DL at Texas A&M for a bunch of years too.

I see. That still puts them at a major disadvantage, coaching wise, because HS, as everyone knows, is nothing like the NFL.

Hey but I'm not ruling anything out. Maybe his passion for the game will ignite that D early on.

I see. That still puts them at a major disadvantage, coaching wise, because HS, as everyone knows, is nothing like the NFL.

Hey but I'm not ruling anything out. Maybe his passion for the game will ignite that D early on.

Yeah it's definitely a big difference from HS to the NFL, but his inexperience could also be an advantage because NFL OC's don't have much tape on Juan. I've seen it go both ways. One way is where the DC struggles early on and the OC feasts... and the other way is the DC confuses and dominates (Spags comes to mind) and the OC not know what comes next.

I definitely don't think HS football is close to the same level as the NFL... even in Texas. But at least in the NFL, the coaches get the best tools in the world to use rather than who lives in a district. I'm just clearing up a common misconception that Hugh Douglas did nothing to help.

EDIT: I'm also glad Clayton is our nickel LB and he has a job. He's been really good in coverage against TE's, and I'm glad he gets a role in the nickel defense, which might end up geting more reps than the 4-3 in some games.

Edited by westbrookforsix

Wow, that was an ugly first half.

NEGATIVES

-Vick was pretty terrible at reading coverages and making accurate throws. But they also don't gameplan for these games. I also think the Eagles receivers didn't really do a particularly good job of getting open.

-Asante Samuel looked pretty bad on the play he got burnt. Hopefully he takes that embarrassment and goes back to the way he played last season. DRC allowed a TD too, and so did Hanson. I'm not so sure that I'm a big fan of Kurt Coleman starting at safety when it comes to defending the pass, I'm going to keep a close eye on Jarrett when he's in.

-Castillo called some crazy corner blitzes that got burnt bad. I didn't expect him to repeat last week's dominant performance, but I'm glad he's testing the limit of our blitzes.

POSITIVES

-The defensive line was relentless, and it looks like it is going to be the brightest spot on our defense this year.

-Henery looked good with his kickoffs, Henry had another phenomenal punt, and Asante had a sick FG block. Great special teams all around.

-Vick and the offensive line did really, really well with reading blitzes when you look at what the Steelers were throwing at them. I think Vick was paying a little too much attention to the blitz though, and he wasn't focusing on the coverage enough, or he was assuming things in coverage. That's a big positive though when you consider how much of a negative Vick's blitz reads were last year, and he threw hot routes, but the Steelers were sitting on them.

-The linebackers looked good in run support, and the whole defense looked really fast. The two long drives were 14 plays long each if I remember correctly, so even when they allowed catches, they flocked to the ball quickly.

As for the Steelers, their RB's looked scary good. Both Redmond and Mendenhall displayed some ridiculous balance when they got hit.

• Upvote 1

I think with all the hype they are getting from the media, and themselves for that matter, its almost impossible for them not to be overhyped. By giving themselves the "dream team" name, they have to win the superbowl to live up to expectations.

There is no doubt that they have made some very good pickups this offseason. However, IMO, they still have some pretty important holes as well:

- Their LB core is young and pretty unexperienced. The Eagles are putting a lot of faith in a rookie 4th round pick to produce at MLB; one of the most important positions on defense.

- Both safeties are also questionable. They have not looked good in preseason, and I think the big 3 CB's will have to play exceptionally well (which they are certainly capable of) to help hide those deficiencies.

- Should be interesting to see how Castillo takes on the role of DC. I think there will definately be a learning curve, and it might take a little while for him to grasp the new role. Thats a big change for a coach to make, and add that with some of the deficiencies the eagles have on D, I think there defense could have a down year. I definately don't see them as a top 10 defense this year.

There is no doubt that the eagles have talent. They easily have one of the most dangerous offenses in the league (although im not completely sold on Vick yet). However, I don't know if I can put them ahead of the Packers, and maybe even the saints and the falcons in the NFC.