Sign in to follow this  
Bangy

Woodson's Punch Gets Him A 10k Fine

Per ESPN: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6970277/charles-woodson-green-bay-packers-fined-10k-punch

The NFL fined Green Bay Packers cornerback Charles Woodson $10,000 for throwing a punch in the regular-season opener against the New Orleans Saints, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Woodson

The Packers were penalized 15 yards in the third quarter for Woodson's punch. He was not ejected, and the Packers went on to win 42-34.

After the game, Woodson admitted he took a swing at Saints tight end David Thomas.

"Yeah, I threw a punch," Woodson said following the Packers' victory. "Just got frustrated, the guy was holding me a little longer than I wanted. Nothing was said about it, referee-wise, quick enough, and I reacted. It is what it is, I guess."

Woodson said at the time that he expected a fine from the league.

Edited by Arz

The NFL fined Green Bay Packers cornerback Charles Woodson $10,000 for throwing a punch in the regular-season opener against the New Orleans Saints, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

The Packers were penalized 15 yards in the third quarter for Woodson's punch. He was not ejected, and the Packers went on to win 42-34.

After the game, Woodson admitted he took a swing at Saints tight end David Thomas.

"Yeah, I threw a punch," Woodson said following the Packers' victory. "Just got frustrated, the guy was holding me a little longer than I wanted. Nothing was said about it, referee-wise, quick enough, and I reacted. It is what it is, I guess."

Woodson said at the time that he expected a fine from the league.

ESPN

Pretty low, Woodson should consider himself lucky. Although... This is an extremely rare occurrence for Charles -- and I don't expect to see anything like this again for a while if ever again.

I was surprised he wasn't thrown out of the game. Woodson's usually a great guy up in Green Bay, so this move surprised me. He defintiely deserved an ejection to go with the $10,000 fine.

I'm guessing they didn't eject him just because he hasn't been the type to do something like that. It was probably a bit of a surprise. If a guy like Harrison did it you know he'd be thrown out the game.