Sign in to follow this  
WindyCitySports

NBA, players to hold crucial meeting on Tuesday

NEW YORK -- The two sides in the NBA's increasingly urgent labor negotiations met for more than five hours in a Manhattan hotel on Monday, setting the stage for another meeting Tuesday that could determine whether the 2011-12 season will start on time.

Commissioner David Stern told reporters immediately after the negotiating session that the owners and players are still apart on key issues -- namely the split of revenue and the structure of a possible payroll cap system -- but that both sides understand the time to come toward the middle is near. If the two sides don't reach an understanding on a new collective bargainaing agreement soon -- perhaps within the next day or so -- the start of the regular season will be in jeopardy.

Hopefully they get something done.

I have a strong feeling, that based on how long the NBA lockout has been ongoing for (currently 3 months I believe) that the entire season will be cancelled. When 22 of 30 teams are losing money there is a fundamental problem in how the salry cap system and the entire league is structured, and it's better to cancel the entire season if it means that they correct this problem that could end up making teams file for bankrupcy protection or have to move to other cities.

I'm hoping to get good news today, but I'm kinda skeptical. I do think at some point there will be an NBA season, it will just be a shortened one that will somewhat carry an asterisk with it like the '99 season.

@Chris_Broussard (Chris Broussard):

Someone in NBA meetings just told me they made a little progress today but still have a long way to go before a deal

EDIT: also...

Chris_Broussard (Chris Broussard):

I'm told no meetings scheduled rest of week...D Fisher says preseason about to be cancelled& probably start of reg season

:(

Edited by BucD

Yeah, the entire preseason is canceled. First two weeks of the regular season will go Monday. I think the owners want to see how players react to missed game checks before things start getting serious. I know Billy Hunter keeps saying the players are prepared for the missed checks, but there is going to be a lot of guys unhappy to not get those checks and the owners are hoping there will be some split among the players. Who knows if it happens or not, but as an owner it's worth seeing what goes down.