Sign in to follow this  
BLUE

Rays owner may be forced to move team

Updated Oct 6, 2011 1:11 PM ET

At this time last week, the Tampa Bay Rays were brandishing their title belt as the undisputed heavyweight champions of Baseball’s Greatest Night Ever. They had defied their tiny payroll, second smallest in the majors.

They overcame a nine-game September deficit. They caught and passed the Boston Red Sox at the wire, sending shock waves that will be felt for years.

Evan Longoria looked like a young Derek Jeter. Rookie sensation Matt Moore was untouchable in the playoff opener. It was enough to make you wonder if their improbable run would end with champagne spilling on the carpet at Tropicana Field.

It didn’t.

Within six days of Longoria’s indelible home run, the Rays’ season was over. Fantasy gave way to reality.

And for this team, reality is especially harsh. It’s the acknowledgement that next year, once again, it’s their Vespa against the twin Porsches of the Red Sox and New York Yankees.

The Rays don’t operate like other teams. That is what makes them special, and that is what makes them vulnerable. One example: In no other playoff ballpark would I have stood beside an owner and asked if his team would be playing elsewhere in 10 years unless a new stadium is built.

But that’s what I did Monday evening, near the home dugout at Tropicana Field, just prior to Game 3 of the Rangers-Rays series.

“Ten years?” asked Stuart Sternberg, repeating my question.

Yes, I told him.

He thought for a moment.

“I would assume so,” he continued, nodding his head. “I would assume so.”

Sternberg said it matter-of-factly, but it’s clear that he’s frustrated. That became more obvious one day later, when, following the Rays’ fate-sealing Game 4 defeat, Sternberg told reporters that the Rays’ current way of doing business is “untenable as a model going forward.”

Read More: FOXSports.com

Edited by BLUE

If he wants a new stadium, he's going to have to help...a lot. The area already shelled out a TON of taxpayer money to build Raymond James Stadium, and they aren't going to shell out taxpayer money to build a baseball stadium in this economy.

Rays moving would be a good idea I think. That stadium is crap and they definitely need a new one.

I don't know who's in line for a team but let me just say as a citizen of Buffalo, I think this would be a cool place for a MLB team. The Bisons have broken records in the past for attendance and the minor league stadium has the capabilities to be transformed into a major league type stadium. Would be awesome and help revive downtown.

If the Rays want to boost attendance, they need to get a stadium in Tampa. There's no getting around that. Criticize the fans for lack of support if you want, but no professional sports team should have its home venue as far away from the majority of its fan base as Tropicana Field is.

If the Rays want to boost attendance, they need to get a stadium in Tampa. There's no getting around that. Criticize the fans for lack of support if you want, but no professional sports team should have its home venue as far away from the majority of its fan base as Tropicana Field is.

I agree the Rays need a better stadium across the Howard Franklin Bridge, but it won't happen. People aren't going to want to fund a new baseball stadium in the bad economy.

It would kinda suck if the Rays moved, but I wouldn't blame them. Bad stadium in a town that had tons of Yankees roots before they even existed. The Yankees play spring training right across the street from Raymond James Stadium and the Steinbrenners have worked out of the Tampa area for a long time. Putting a team down here may not have been the best idea.

At the same time, how many markets are out there that could support a new baseball team? The only one that comes to mind is North/South Carolina.

At the same time, how many markets are out there that could support a new baseball team? The only one that comes to mind is North/South Carolina.

As I said above......Buffalo. :yep:

People have been saying that for years. You can thank the good ole mayor of St. Pete for not letting the Rays out of their lease. That is the reason Stu hasn't moved across the Bay yet.

Considering they own the Bulls it's pretty likely that North Carolina is the likely destination.