Sign in to follow this  
Patriots2994

Best School Overall

There are tons of schools that participate in NCAA sports. Out of every one of those schools, which is the most well rounded in all sporting aspects?

There are tons of schools that participate in NCAA sports. Out of every one of those schools, which is the most well rounded in all sporting aspects?

It really depends on the judging.

Stanford wins the NACDA Director's Cup every year, which is awarded to the Athletic Department by the NCAA for excellence in sports. They manage to win this without collecting championships, but by always having a team in the running for one in just about every sport. Stanford is basically an Ivy League school situated on the West Coast, so it's an amazing accomplishment for an institution with such high academic standards.

UCLA- has the most National Championships overall, reaching 100 a few years ago, and I think they've continued to add to that number.

Stanford- has the most Women's team championships.

USC-has the most men's team championships

This is why the Pac 10, now Pac 12, calls itself the "Conference of Champions"

Keep in mind that football championships aren't included in these totals, because the NCAA doesn't recognized any champions in the FBS, since there is no playoff system. The National Championship for upper level football is a media award, and not an NCAA award.

Edited by Anthony

I can make a case for a few different schools:

Ohio State - OSU has dominated the sports scene the last 10 years. Both their football and men's basketball is typically expected to be in the Final Four/BCS. Additionally, they have a great lacrosse team and women's basketball team.

Florida - Although Florida has fallen out of the picture the last few years, the last decade has been a sucessful one. They have multiple football and men's basketball championships.

UCLA - UCLA is on the list not for their performance in the last decade, but for their historical performance. They are obviously an extremely sucessful basketball program, and their football team had several Rose Bowl victories in the 70s and 80s. Still, today we see them pop up every so often and make a run in football or basketball. Also, their baseball team won the College WS.

Wisconsin - Although not having many recent national championships, the Badgers have very respectable programs in both football and basketball.

LSU - LSU football is kind, having a very sucessful decade. The basketball team went to the Final Four 5 years ago. Let's not forget baseball, which the Tigers seem to always be very competitive in.

Texas - Same as LSU, great football, decent basketball, but awesome baseball.

• Upvote 1

Texas, UCLA, and Florida were the first ones that came to mind, due to the 3-headed talent at basketball, football, and baseball. Although outside of football, my knowledge of collegiate programs drops off tremendously.

Texas, UCLA, and Florida were the first ones that came to mind, due to the 3-headed talent at basketball, football, and baseball. Although outside of football, my knowledge of collegiate programs drops off tremendously.

I think people only recognize USC as a football school, since it didn't even get a mention in the previous posts, yet Texas, UCLA, and Florida did.

Texas, UCLA, and Florida combine for 8 National Championships in football. USC alone has 11.

Texas, UCLA, and Florida combine for 6 National Championships in baseball, with the Longhorns winning all of them. USC has 12 National Championships in baseball, the most of any school.

Where USC lags, as far as the three major sports, is in basketball. The Trojans have never won a national title, but neither has Texas, and Florida has only won 2. This is the dominant sport for UCLA, winning 11 titles to lead all schools.

From what I remember, there are only three schools that have won national championships in each of the three major sports, and they were Cal, Stanford, and Michigan.

I'm not saying Arkansas is the best overall but I'd like them to be recognized, especially in the track aspect. Why limit this to three sports when collegiate sports include a ton more.

Outside of a 1964 football championship and 1994 basketball, here's the resume..

Men's Indoor Track – 1984-2000, 2003, 2005-2006

Men's Outdoor Track – 1985, 1992-1999, 2003

Men's Cross-Country – 1984, 1986-1987, 1990-1993, 1995, 1998-2000

Woo pig.