Sign in to follow this  
sweetness34

Star Stacking Photography

So I'm getting to a point where I'm only sharing one at a time with you guys, it's just because I'm not doing assignments anymore. So I now go to a location I want to shoot to get one particular shot.

Well this is by far my best night shot I've ever gotten. A combination of my new fisheye and a technique called "star stacking". Basically this particular shot is actually 100 individual shots of 25 seconds each...layered later. This allows for a much longer period of exposure without losing image quality and darkness.

anyway,

Startrails2-2.jpg

I really hope you guys enjoy this one, as not only is my favorite night shot... but I think it's my favorite shot of mine, period.

Keep a look out in the next week for when I finish my two time lapse videos I also shot last night during the full moon.

Cheers

• Upvote 2

That's a night shot? Where was it taken, Alaska? Looks like broad daylight to me.

Cool though must have been hard work with 100 shots stacked into one photo.

So I'm getting to a point where I'm only sharing one at a time with you guys, it's just because I'm not doing assignments anymore. So I now go to a location I want to shoot to get one particular shot.

Well this is by far my best night shot I've ever gotten. A combination of my new fisheye and a technique called "star stacking". Basically this particular shot is actually 100 individual shots of 25 seconds each...layered later. This allows for a much longer period of exposure without losing image quality and darkness.

anyway,

Startrails2-2.jpg

I really hope you guys enjoy this one, as not only is my favorite night shot... but I think it's my favorite shot of mine, period.

Keep a look out in the next week for when I finish my two time lapse videos I also shot last night during the full moon.

Cheers

Great shot there.

That's a night shot? Where was it taken, Alaska? Looks like broad daylight to me.

Cool though must have been hard work with 100 shots stacked into one photo.

This was taken in Montana, about 20 minutes from my house. The full moon (the flares off the side) added the lighting for the foreground. This is in a Canyon where I love doing my night shots at, it's far enough away from my little 30,000 person town to not have a lot of "light pollution"

The stacking is actually the easy part, I let my camera continulously shoot for 45 minutes on a tripod. Then there is this awesome computer program that stacks them for me. Before that you would have to stack each layer individually in photoshop

The stacking seems too... violent for my taste.. Or here is just too much of it. Everything is so bright in the picture, that I think it takes away from what you want to be the center piece... then night sky. I think it needs to be darker out, and I would try one without as much stacking.

I like the idea of it though.. and I also love pictures of the night sky.

Wow. 20 minutes from where you live >_>

Anyway, my physics teacher told me something about this. Around the north pole region, if you leave your camera out for a whole day and take a photo, this effect can be seen too. It traces on the lens or some shit, i dunno, but its fucking awesome.

The stacking seems too... violent for my taste.. Or here is just too much of it. Everything is so bright in the picture, that I think it takes away from what you want to be the center piece... then night sky. I think it needs to be darker out, and I would try one without as much stacking.

I like the idea of it though.. and I also love pictures of the night sky.

The brightness of the foreground isn't actually coming from the stacking, but rather the full moon that was out last night (it's the reason I almost always refuse to do my night shooting under a full moon). I decided to mix this one up because all of my night shots to this day have been dark and on a no moon night. I do plan to go back to star stack on a dark night though.

Here are some examples of my darker night shots:

http://www.andyaustinphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG_8005-2.jpg

http://www.andyaustinphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG_5305.jpg

http://www.andyaustinphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG_7999.jpg

http://www.andyaustinphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/IMG_8021.jpg

The point of stacking is to actually keep the darkness of the sky, because the star trails up there were done on 15 minute exposures alone, and the sky begins to become bright. On a normal night stacking will

Appreciate the input brotha

Wow. 20 minutes from where you live >_>

Anyway, my physics teacher told me something about this. Around the north pole region, if you leave your camera out for a whole day and take a photo, this effect can be seen too. It traces on the lens or some shit, i dunno, but its fucking awesome.

Ya it's nuts, if only our eyes could see it. I've seen exposures of the North Star done all night, and the circles are nuts, and colorful too usually. I plan to do that next summer (I was out shooting three hours last night and at 20 degree tempertures my camera ended up freezing.

I'm assuming that's 20F, and wow haha.

Sick work anyway. Post moar when you do so :D

I'm assuming that's 20F, and wow haha.

Sick work anyway. Post moar when you do so :D

ha ya 20F, and that's actually pretty warm for up there. It's 20 minutes from my house but it's a good couple thousand feet elevation gain. It's around 7,000 ft (or around 2,100 meters for you aussies) elevation where I shoot. It's usually anywhere from 20 above zero to 20 below when I go to do night shooting. Sometimes it can get much colder.

I really want to go night shooting tonight as there is a huge meteor shower tonight...but I have a big final tomorrow