butta54

Colts fans feeling Lucky?

I used to be one of the biggest Colts haters in the world mostly because Peyton Manning. Now that he is gone I feel myself not against them anymore. SO I'm a big Luck fan and felt excited watching the Colts put together the first pieces around him and wanted to know how the real Colts fans feel about the new-look offense?

post-8219-0-27175600-1337728973_thumb.jpg

There aren't that many Colts fans here, but I am concerned that they only focused on their offense in this draft. I suppose they were concerned about BPA, but that defense is gonna hinder them for a year or two before Luck gets into any sort of groove.

I think the primary reason that our defense was so bad last season was because of Peyton Manning. I know that sounds stupid, and you can't blame it on a guy that didn't even play, but the Colts were so used to play with the lead, and being able to send Freeney and Mathis to the quarterback on every play, instead of using them to contain.

As well, every single one of our defensive captains missed extended time do to injuries. I'm pretty sure every starter's name was on the Injury Report at one time or the next.

With all this being said, I'm extremely optimistic about this season. I believe that anywhere from 4-12 to 6-10 is within reach, which is an improvement. It'll be a solid few years before we get back to the regular form we're used to. When Peyton took over, it took a solid year adjustment to get us to 13-3, still going 6-10 in 2001.

There aren't that many Colts fans here, but I am concerned that they only focused on their offense in this draft. I suppose they were concerned about BPA, but that defense is gonna hinder them for a year or two before Luck gets into any sort of groove.

They had to focus on the Offense. They had no one left besides Wayne. I'm not sure why the took 2 TEs though.

They had to focus on the Offense. They had no one left besides Wayne. I'm not sure why the took 2 TEs though.

tight ends are QB's best friends second to a running game. And when you have two good ones like the Patriots, or to a lesser extent the Lions, etc, it opens up the game with a lot of mismatches to exploit.

I loved the idea to draft two tight ends. A lot of pro college teams run two tight end sets (Alabama) so this is something Luck is used to and comfortable with. And as said earlier teams like the Patriots are using more two tight end looks in the league to exploit the mismatches it presents to a defense. Although don't expect the Colts to use their TEs like the Patriots. BUT having Fleener is huge in my opinion

Hey fellas, just joined and figured since I'm part of a rare breed here in being a Colts fan I'll chime in. I've been an avid Colts fan for about 12 years now. Born and raised in Fort Wayne, IN.

I thought this draft went very well for us. Luck has been in a pro-style offense for 3 years and his most productive, and most popular, to run was a Twin-TE set. We snagged the best QB prospect since Elway and grabbed the #1 and #2 ranked TE's. That right there in itself is great for his future and puts Luck in a perfect position to win. Not to mention, he's still got Reggie Wayne and Austin Collie to toss the ball to. Honestly, there's only two reasons I'm concerned we wont have much success this year. Luck is, believe it or not, a rookie. And he will make mistakes. Many, mistakes. Which I'm fine with, as long as it's not continuing into his 3rd and 4th year. The other reason, Donald Brown. I've been watching running backs come and go and we haven't had a great running back since Edgerrin James in 2005. Addai and Rhodes weren't bad, per say, but they weren't 1RB material. Brown has had flashes of brilliance in his appearances and if he comes out with 900 Rush Yds, 200 Rec Yds and 14 TD's I believe it will be looked on by the management as a successful RB season and could see him being Luck's backbone for a few years to come.

The defense also needs a lot of work. We've got great, great players on defense but we're also REALLY bad in the positions we need to be at least OK in. NT, CB, SS. All horrible. The Colts, as stated previously in other posts, focused this entire year on offense. I'm sure that has to be a result of the confidence within Chuck Pagano to come in and fix the defensive issues, evaluate and given more control of the draft next year.

But to answer the original question, yes I am feeling lucky. =]

@karl....where do you see Freeney and Mathis playing this year?

@karl....where do you see Freeney and Mathis playing this year?

Mathis has already been designated to continue playing DE while Freeney will be OLB. He'll basically be like Clay Mathews - plays OLB in the 3-4 set, but he's basically a DE.

Freeney is faster than Mathis so I'm comfortable with him playing that OLB position. I don't really recall seeing him ever drop back into coverage because if the other team went spread, Freeney and Mathis were basically told "Go get em", while everyone else found a zone or man. I have faith in Pagano, but its just our secondary is so weak outside of Antoine Bethea. So switching to this makes more sense to me, I like it.