Bay

Sakic, Shanahan highlight list of expected Hall calls

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=636008

Joe Sakic and Brendan Shanahan should be receiving phone calls sometime Tuesday afternoon from executives at the Hockey Hall of Fame. They won't be asking for memorabilia.Sakic and Shanahan, who combined for 1,281 goals and five Stanley Cup rings all won between 1996-2002, are expected to headline the Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2012, which will be announced in full Tuesday at 3 p.m. ET (live on NHL Network-U.S.). The induction ceremony will take place Nov. 12 at the historic building on the corner of Front and Yonge streets in Toronto.Sakic and Shanahan were first-round picks in 1987 and retired after the 2008-09 season, so they have waited the required three years per the Hall's rules to be eligible for induction. Joining the two shoo-ins as first-time eligible candidates who could get a call from the Hall on Tuesday are Jeremy Roenick, Mats Sundin and Curtis Joseph.Joe Sakic, who led the Colorado Avalanche to a pair of Stanley Cup titles, accumulated 1,641 points in 1,378 NHL games spread across 20 seasons with one franchise. (Photo: Getty)There also are a host of players who continue to be on the list of potential candidates, including Eric Lindros, Adam Oates, Kevin Lowe, Pavel Bure and Dave Andreychuk.

Joe Sakic: This is an absolute no-brainer. Sakic, who now works in Colorado's front office, amassed 1,641 points in 1,378 NHL games spread across 20 seasons with one franchise. He started his career in Quebec and moved with the team to Colorado, where he helped the Avalanche win the Stanley Cup in 1996 and 2001.

Sakic won the Conn Smythe Trophy in 1996 and the Hart Trophy, Lady Byng Trophy and Lester B. Pearson Award (now the Ted Lindsay Award) in 2001. On the international stage, he won gold at the 1988 World Juniors, 1994 World Championship, 2002 Olympics and 2004 World Cup.

Brendan Shanahan: He's the second no-brainer for the Class of 2012. Shanahan, who is now one of the most visible executives in hockey as the head of the NHL's Department of Player Safety, scored 656 goals and had 1,354 points in 1,524 games over 21 seasons. One of the premier power forwards to ever play the game, Shanahan played for the Devils, Blues, Whalers, Red Wings and Rangers before returning to New Jersey for his final season.

Shanahan won the Stanley Cup three times with the Red Wings (1997, 1998, 2002) and won Olympic gold with Team Canada in 2002. He is the only player in NHL history with more than 600 goals and 2,000 penalty minutes (2,489).

Sakic, ftw.

Everyone was shocked was Bren Shan didn't make it. Congrats to all and especially Super Joe Sakic.

Hockey%20Hall%20of%20Fame%20.JPEG-09c2d.jpg

:rock:

My defining highlight with Joe Sakic will forever be the moment when he immediately passed the Stanley Cup to Ray Bourque in the 2001 Final. That proved to me how classy Joe was.

• Upvote 1

^yup.

Joe Sakic was the man. Even as a Devils fan, I have a little figurine of Joe on top of a piece of furniture in my room.

• Upvote 1

^yup.

Joe Sakic was the man. Even as a Devils fan, I have a little figurine of Joe on top of a piece of furniture in my room.

Nice. I bet you wished he was on the Devils on more than one occasion. :)