Sign in to follow this  
butta54

Disappearance of the Traditional Big Man

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/eye-performance/201206/nba-centers-big-man-clifford-ray-kareem-ewing-howard-mikan-wilt

Really good article on a topic that isn't talked about very often. I personally have pointed out this trend every since Dwight Howard came into the league and the old-school big man started to disappear.

Its talked about extremely often.

With who? Because the casual fan doesn't bring it up and most shows covering the NBA don't talk much about it. No one stop to say anything about Anthony Davis being tiny compared to the player's back in the day. Yes they have mentioned he needs to get bigger and honestly they say that about the majority of big man prospects every year. It doesn't go further than that. Name a analyst who goes into the trend of Dwight Howard-type big man? No one they all hail him as the top big man in the league and claim all teams need one. Davis is talked about as the biggest prospect in the draft in years! Not talked about as being a different breed of player...no this is the norm in the league these days...these are the body types of big man. It's mentioned here and there, but no one brings up the dying breed and no one talks about how the game has changed. They all say the same thing "it's better than ever" with nothing but scoring point guards who don't have court vision and athletic players 1-5. The traditional big man disappearance is not talked about a lot by the majority. If the circle of people you know do it that is fine, but that is not the norm in basketball conversation.

Biggest problem is that no college teams really utilize the big man anymore. And more importantly, today's game makes it harder for big men to play like they used to. Teams are going further out on the perimeter with pick and rolls, and are running a lot more.

Regardless though, give me an elite big man over an elite any other position every day of the week. Which is why I'm so excited about Drummond.

Yea I've heard the talk quite frequently. I don't have times and dates for when these conversations took place but its not a new subject. I DID hear Colin Cowert talking about it on the radio this morning or the day before.