Sign in to follow this  
Omerta

Insurance Question.

Ok so as some of you know I am starting my own business. I am wondering though what would you rather do with insurance because right now it is split down the middle in the shop. If you could bring up some pros and cons as well if you could.

The question at hand is I am on the fence about providing insurance or increasing the pay to cover it. Most of the young guys want the extra money so that they can buy beer and go uninsured is my guess. The elder gentleman with families want to have the insurance but the smaller checks.

The conundrum I have is this. I hate paperwork and I do not feel like enrolling 3 and then the other ones deciding that they want in and having to redo the terms of it all. It is a local company. So the I gave them 3 days and the stipulation was they either had to agree to one or the other or come up with a viable alternative. Well day 3 is tomorrow and no signs are positive, so I am going to have to make the decision. Obamacare will force their hand anyway so If no conclusion is reached I know which way I am leaning but I want to get some opinions from everybody. Most people have a job and if this were the ulitmatum in front of you what would want as the employee. Or if you are the employer what would you do ?

The insurance per man is going to cost me about 600 dollars a man a month. this policy includes everything and they will ahve to pay for nothing out of pocket and they will only be liable for 10 % of all major medical. And Dental, vision, checkups and everything is free as well as prescription drugs. It is just about as great as you can have without being in the military. And it will cover their entire families. The deal is I can cover it but their checks are gong to be about 258 dollars smaller per month. Or they can have the 258 and get their own which would be a rip off.

So as I said I know where I am leaning, what would you do ?

Id say extra money. If you don't want insurance you shouldn't be forced into it

Edit: actually I just saw the Obamacare part. You might as well get on track now rather than make a change in a year or so. Especially when I'm sure you'll have other issues with your business.

Edited by blotsfan

Ok so as some of you know I am starting my own business. I am wondering though what would you rather do with insurance because right now it is split down the middle in the shop. If you could bring up some pros and cons as well if you could.

The question at hand is I am on the fence about providing insurance or increasing the pay to cover it. Most of the young guys want the extra money so that they can buy beer and go uninsured is my guess. The elder gentleman with families want to have the insurance but the smaller checks.

The conundrum I have is this. I hate paperwork and I do not feel like enrolling 3 and then the other ones deciding that they want in and having to redo the terms of it all. It is a local company. So the I gave them 3 days and the stipulation was they either had to agree to one or the other or come up with a viable alternative. Well day 3 is tomorrow and no signs are positive, so I am going to have to make the decision. Obamacare will force their hand anyway so If no conclusion is reached I know which way I am leaning but I want to get some opinions from everybody. Most people have a job and if this were the ulitmatum in front of you what would want as the employee. Or if you are the employer what would you do ?

The insurance per man is going to cost me about 600 dollars a man a month. this policy includes everything and they will ahve to pay for nothing out of pocket and they will only be liable for 10 % of all major medical. And Dental, vision, checkups and everything is free as well as prescription drugs. It is just about as great as you can have without being in the military. And it will cover their entire families. The deal is I can cover it but their checks are gong to be about 258 dollars smaller per month. Or they can have the 258 and get their own which would be a rip off.

So as I said I know where I am leaning, what would you do ?

What type of business do you own Ngata? That should factor into your decision quite a bit!