AllYouNeedIsLovie

Your Teams MVP This Year?

understandably Morris and Griffin have gotten most of the attention during the Skins' run, but I think London Fletcher deserves about as much credit for being the quarterback of a defense that vastly overperformed in general and has gotten a lot better as the season has gone on, through the Skins' seven game win streak they've only allowed 20 points per game, which would put them 8th in the league if they held that through a season, and when you look at the pieces around him and what that defense has been asked to do, I think you have to respect Fletcher's contribution as the guy making sure everyone is where they need to be and doing what they're supposed to

Fletcher started off slow, and picked it up as the year progressed. And the defense did with him. I just think one of the offensive players are more worthy simply because the offense has been pretty good/consistent throughout the season.

Also, I hate to bring the kicker topic back up, but I don't think its totally outa question for a kicker to be the team's MVP.

Case in point, the Lions. The offense, and CJ moved us down the field most of the time, but they also crumbled in the redzone often. Hanson was the biggest reason why we were in a lot of games because he's the one who scored the most points. I don't think its impossible for a kicker to be a team's MVP depending on his contribution to the team's overall point total.

Fletcher started off slow, and picked it up as the year progressed. And the defense did with him. I just think one of the offensive players are more worthy simply because the offense has been pretty good/consistent throughout the season.

so in other words the team improved as the defense improved, seems like a pretty good argument for a defensive MVP, unless you're interpreting MVP to mean 'best player'

Also, I hate to bring the kicker topic back up, but I don't think its totally outa question for a kicker to be the team's MVP.

Case in point, the Lions. The offense, and CJ moved us down the field most of the time, but they also crumbled in the redzone often. Hanson was the biggest reason why we were in a lot of games because he's the one who scored the most points. I don't think its impossible for a kicker to be a team's MVP depending on his contribution to the team's overall point total.

but someone has to get the kicker into position, unless every field goal is 50+ yards, and I think SteVo's point was more that if your kicker is your MVP you don't have a very good team, and using the Lions (4-12) as your case in point doesn't really controvert that

Edited by oochymp

so in other words the team improved as the defense improved, seems like a pretty good argument for a defensive MVP, unless you're interpreting MVP to mean 'best player'

but someone has to get the kicker into position, unless every field goal is 50+ yards, and I think SteVo's point was more that if your kicker is your MVP you don't have a very good team, and using the Lions (4-12) as your case in point doesn't really controvert that

What I was trying to say is that on a weak team a kicker can be your MVP. I didn't realise that's what Stevo was saying as well.

The offense has a lot more to do with the winning then the defense though IMO. It gets hard to lose when you put up 30+ points a game. The defense playing better doesn't change the fact that the offense has been carrying the team more.

The offense has a lot more to do with the winning then the defense though IMO. It gets hard to lose when you put up 30+ points a game. The defense playing better doesn't change the fact that the offense has been carrying the team more.

it's been pretty much a full team effort, you say it helps for the offense to put up 30+ points (the Skins have broken 30 4 times in their 7 game win streak and 6 times on the season [once in a loss] and averaged 30 through their winning streak, 27.2 on the season) I say it's easier to win when you're only allowing 20 points per game (they've held four opponents at or under 20 points during their streak [plus holding Cleveland to 21] and averaged 20 points allowed [they didn't hold a single opponent under 20 before the bye/winning streak]) it takes a full team effort to put together the sort of turnaround the Skins had, so I was just trying to give some recognition to the guy I think had the biggest role in the defensive turnaround