Sign in to follow this  
seanbrock

A little background on Gus Bradley

Keep the cup. Hang around Gus Bradley, current Seahawks defensive coordinator and Eagles coaching candidate, long enough and you're bound to hear the phrase.

Keep the Cup. Don't allow big plays. Keep everything bottled up. Don't let it spill. If it doesn't spill, it gives you a chance to drink it.

That's Gus Bradley's defensive philosophy. It's similar to that of his mentor, Monte Kiffin. Don't make big mistakes. Do everything in unison. Keep the water in the cup. Give yourself a chance to defend it again. And again and again and again.

It's worked for Bradley in Seattle. He brings the NFL's No. 1 scoring defense into Sunday's divisional playoff game in Atlanta. Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll recently called him "a brilliant football mind."

The Eagles are expected to interview Bradley for their vacant head coaching position this weekend in Atlanta. Bradley, who also reportedly interviewed Thursday with the Chargers, joins a long list of candidates for the Eagles' opening. He comes with stellar credentials and maybe even more impressive endorsements. Two of his biggest supporters are Kiffin and future Hall of Fame linebacker Derrick Brooks, who he coached in Tampa Bay.

Kiffin helped Bradley get hired in Seattle. He told Jim Mora, the head coach at the time, "J.L., listen to me. I have got a guy here in Tampa that is one of, if not, the finest football coaches I have ever worked with. He's an A-plus. He's a once-in-a-lifetime coach. You need to talk to him," Mora recalled in a 2009 Seattle Post-Intelligencer story.

Brooks speaks similarly of his former linebackers coach. The two still talk often. He uses words like humble, hard-working and loyal to describe his former coach and friend.

"I would definitely endorse him if someone asked me to do that," Brooks said. "I just knew as my position coach that in this league, he was going to move up. Whether that means coordinator, head coach, I just knew him staying in this position as a linebackers coach, he's going to outgrow it. That's the same way I felt about Coach Lovie Smith."

Smith, who interviewed with the Eagles on Thursday, also came up through the Tampa system as a linebackers coach. The biggest difference is that Smith, 54, had his chance to lead a team. He was the head coach of the Chicago Bears for the past nine seasons. Bradley, 46, is looking for his first head coaching job.

Much like Smith and unlike Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly, who interviewed for the Eagles position earlier this week as well, Bradley isn't a get-in-your-face disciplinarian. Sure he'll yell, scream and curse plenty, but usually when he's at his most vocal, it's for encouragement, not disparagement.

Bradley came to the NFL in 2006 as a defensive quality control coach from North Dakota State. It didn't take long for him to earn the respect of the Bucs players. Brooks remembers going to Bradley regularly on the upcoming opponent who he had scouted. Bradley wouldn't just provide the information. He taught it as well.

When Bradley was promoted to linebackers coach the following year, he constantly peppered Brooks with questions. What made him great? How did he prepare? What was he thinking? It proved Bradley wasn't a know-it-all coach, and earned the players' respect rather quickly as a result.

"One thing I appreciated is that he listened," Brooks said. "And by listened I don't mean he did everything I said. But the fact that we had open lines of communication that he sought my opinion in determining the decision was critical. I appreciated his personality that he would listen."

That's not to be taken lightly. At the time, Bradley was a young coach from a small school, only seven years older than his star pupil. He needed to be impressive to command the attention of a group filled with strong and already successful veterans.

Maybe most impressive with Bradley has been his ability to adjust. This should help in his meeting with Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie and Howie Roseman, who are looking for a flexible and innovative coach. Bradley's current defense in Seattle may resemble the Cover-2 or Tampa-2 system he learned in Tampa, but it has its own look and feel. Now, it's Gus Bradley's defense.

"They play a lot more mixed fronts than we did in Tampa," Brooks said. "We were pretty much over-under four-man fronts. With Gus they jump into a lot of different fronts. A lot of five-man fronts, 4.5-man, so you see his fingerprints on that. We ran a lot of basic coverages, they run a lot of mixed coverages."

The results have been similar. Just like the early 21st-century Bucs, the Seahawks have a dominant defense. With Bradley as their coach, they've been able to keep the cup.

And, now, according to Brooks, it's apparent that Gus Bradley is ready to not just lead the linebackers or the entire defense. It's his time to lead a team.

"Since his time in Seattle, you can see it," Brooks said. "Just the conversations, they're more of leadership conversations. … I think he's definitely ready to lead a football team."

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2013/01/eagles_coaching_candidate_gus.html

As you all know I'm wrong...a lot, but I just think this guy is going to be an awesome coach. I really hope the Eagles don't forgo hiring him because he's not an offensive guy. He's a leader and he will turn our defense around.

• Upvote 1

Gus Bradley‘s interview with the Eagles on Saturday went very well, according to Jay Glazer.

“He had a great interview with the Philadelphia Eagles,” said Glazer. “If the Seahawks lose [to the Falcons] look for the Eagles to bring Bradley back in.”

The Seahawks did lose to Atlanta, making Bradley available. While a second interview is certainly possible, it had not yet been scheduled as of Monday morning, according to a league source.

http://www.phillymag.com/eagles/2013/01/14/gus-bradley-has-great-interview-with-eagles/

YES! Really hope we get the opportunity to bring this guy in for a second interview.

Yep. I'm hoping they get Gus. I think they want him and they've been holding out for him to be available. Time to get a deal done.

• Upvote 1

I LOVE his fire. We need this. I'm officially on the Gus Bus.

Edited by dutchff7