Sign in to follow this  
Vin

Random Thoughts From Mike Mayock

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock says Florida State CB Xavier Rhodes is generating second-round grades from teams ahead of the Combine.

Mayock hinted that NFL teams aren't sure yet whether Rhodes will better fit at cornerback or safety. Some teams, like the Patriots, actually value safety-corner hybrids as opposed to downgrading them. "A guy like Xavier Rhodes, who's a corner and a safety," said Mayock, "... he right now has mostly second-round grades as a corner or a safety, depending on what he runs."

Source: ESPN Boston

NFL Network's Mike Mayock suggested that Cal WR Keenan Allen's draft position will greatly hinge on his forty time at the Combine.

Tape typically trumps measurables, but Allen didn't run many vertical routes in Cal's offense and NFL teams want to see if he can stretch the field. "With Keenan Allen, it’s one word: speed," Mayock said. "That’s the only question scouts have on him. It’s hard to (evaluate) him with the way they throw the football. So what is it? If he’s a 4.4 guy, bang the table, he’s a top-25 pick. If he runs 4.55, 4.58, there’s going to be a lot of questions about him."

Source: San Francisco Chronicle

NFL Network's Mike Mayock expects LSU DE/OLB Barkevious Mingo to fall into the late part of the first round, or perhaps even the second round, as a "developmental" project.

Mayock, like NFLN colleague Daniel Jeremiah, seems convinced Mingo has been vastly overrated by media draftniks. Mayock referred to Mingo -- a defensive end at LSU -- as a "developmental 3-4 outside linebacker" who will be drafted "in the 25-40 (pick) range." Both Jeremiah and Mayock are tuned into NFL personnel men's thinking, so we suspect decision makers have similar opinions on Mingo.

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter

NFL Network's Mike Mayock told reporters on a conference call Monday that Oregon DE/LB Dion Jordan has "Aldon Smith potential" in the pros.

"He's two years away from being an Aldon Smith-type player," Mayock said of Jordan. "He’d be a situational pass rusher year one." Smith was a situational pass rusher in his first NFL season, as well. An athletic freak at 6-foot-7, 230, Jordan is Mayock's top-rated outside linebacker prospect for the 2013 draft. A full rundown of Mayock's rankings are accessible at the link below.

Source: Mike Mayock's Top-5 Rankings

NFL Network's Mike Mayock stated on a conference call Monday that he has only one running back with a first-round grade in this year's class.

Mayock gave the first-round grade to Alabama's Eddie Lacy, calling No. 2-rated back Montee Ball a "second- to third-round guy." Mayock is also not particularly high on North Carolina's Giovani Bernard or Oklahoma State's Joseph Randle. Ball would be a good fit for a zone-blocking team, but he lacks lateral explosiveness and doesn't create space for himself in the run game.

I'd be perfectly happy with Rhodes @ pick 33 for the Jags. :shrug: Fits the big, long corner measurables that Bradley covets. He works best in bump and run man too, which is a perfect fit in his system.

Mock draft guys and draftniks alike usually underestimate "fit" when projecting guys to teams or where they'll go. That's why last year you see a guy like Bruce Irvin going middle 1st to Seattle and everyone screamed bust but he was a perfect fit for their system so he thrived.

surprised about the Mingo comment. I figured NFL teams that love the athletic freaks would be all over him after the combine.

Edited by DonovanMcnabb for H.O.F

According to NFL Network's Mike Mayock, the NFL teams he's spoken to have fourth-round grades on LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu.

Mathieu will be off many boards after getting booted from LSU for repeated drug use, but there are teams that'd take the onetime Heisman finalist in the mid to late rounds. "A lot of people have him as a nickel and a kick returner," Mayock said. "I don’t think he’s going to run better than a 4.5, 4.55. If he does, that will help him. So, most teams I’ve talked to have him more in the fourth round. They don’t think he’s very big, he’s not going to run very fast, and he’s had off-the-field issues."

Source: Washington Post

Can't run, is a character concern, doesn't have the size... sounds like a shouldn't be drafted prospect, not a midround guy.

surprised about the Mingo comment. I figured NFL teams that love the athletic freaks would be all over him after the combine.

Probably has to do with the way LSU played him last year. As in they completely misused him. They had him lining up at DT at times for god's sake. Stupid. But most of all, they asked him NOT to rush a lot, Mingo himself has relayed this to media to confirm it. They did so because they played a number of mobile QBs like Manziel, Driskel etc. so they asked him to play contain, and not to rush upfield — to keep the QBs in the pocket. It killed his sack numbers which dipped. But Mingo is a guy who would thrive in a certain system, think Bruce Irvin at Leo for Seattle. Or obviously, with Jacksonville now. Where he'll be asked to strictly get after the passer, get up field.

Oregon did this too with Jordan this past year. Asked him to drop back and cover a lot. Killed his sack numbers. But with Jordan they had him guarding slot WRs, just because he's such an athletic freak he was able to. Plus it offered versatility to confuse offenses because they didn't know if he would rush or cover. But it made him look worse because teams looking for that sack machine saw his numbers dip.

me too, I'd seen him ranked as high as top 5 (I haven't looked at anything recent tho, so that projection could be incredibly outdated) I also didn't realize he was viewed as more of a 3-4 backer than a 4-3 end

as for Mathieu, someone will draft him, he's got enough talent, even if only as a returner (potentially a poor man's Devin Hester?) and there are always teams that ignore character concerns if a player has enough potential

Edited by oochymp

me too, I'd seen him ranked as high as top 5 (I haven't looked at anything recent tho, so that projection could be incredibly outdated) I also didn't realize he was viewed as more of a 3-4 backer than a 4-3 end

as for Mathieu, someone will draft him, he's got enough talent, even if only as a returner (potentially a poor man's Devin Hester?) and there are always teams that ignore character concerns if a player has enough potential

There's no way he makes it out of the top 20 if his triangle numbers are as good as I think they'll be. IDT he really ever had a chance as a 4-3 DE in the NFL though, he looks and move like a LB, and I've seen him get blown 3,4 yards past the LOS when he's been in 1-1 situations. A lot of sites have him listed at 240 but I think most of that is just his height, he's got the frame to add weight/bulk but... IDK, what Mayock said is a big surprise to me.

As far as Mathieu is concerned, hes just too great of football player to get undrafted imo. His ability as a playmaker, and natural instincts make him a great option as a nickle, joker type of position, almost like Finnegan without the outside cover skills. I'd be pretty excited if we got him around the 4-5th rounds, but IDK if he would fall that far. only thing I hate about him is that his tackling is shotty...