Sign in to follow this  
RazorStar

Mock Draft Number One, Post-Combine Orgy

This is a thing, there are some trades on here, but I tried to keep it minimal. Also I don't really agree with a lot of the consensus best prospects so my early list may look a little funky. Anyway, let's get it on children. This is Three Dog OWWWWWWW!

1. :Chiefs: Eric Fisher, LT, Central Michigan

So the Chiefs get their blindside protector. However he may not be who you all thought he'd be. I figure the Chiefs are going to brign back Albert and probably move him to guard, while Fisher steps in as the franchise LT. Think Willie Roaf, this is gonna be a nasty offensive line to play again for years to come.

2. :jags: Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida

The Jags have to love getting a defensive lineman worth the selection for once. Floyd is explosive in the middle, and Gus Bradley can utilize his talents well. Whether he plays inside like Mebane or outside like Red Bryant, he is going to thrive for the Jags.

3. :Raiders: Ezekiel Ansah, DE, Brigham Young

Super raw, super athletic, there is a lot of potential for the young man from Ghana. I may still be in Al Davis mode when it comes to this kid, but I love his potential and the team who picks this guy will not be disappointed.

4. :Eagles: Luke Joeckel, LT, Texas A&M

The Eagles didn't even have to trade up to get a great LT for the future. I feel like you can't miss with the top 3 guys in this draft (though I remember thinking similar things about the year Jason Smith came out... 2 out of three is alright, though one of them is a Right Tackle). Anyway, great footwork, good contigency plan if Peter can't be healthy, if Peters is healthy, both tackle slots and by Herremans moving back to guard, both guards spots are filled. It improves the line all around. Now EJ Manuel will be safe from harm. :p

5. :Bills: trade with :Lions: Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia

This is still a QB driven league, and the best one of the bunch will not escape the top five. The Bills have said they needed a franchise QB, it's obvious Tarvaris jackson, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyler Thigpen are not capable of leading a team to the playoffs or beyond, so the Bills roll the dice. Geno has a lot of things I like about him, but there is the nagging feeling I get that makes me worry that he'll always be the guy who falls just short of glory. Perfect for the Bills now that I thing about it...

6. :Browns: Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon

OMG PASS RUSH HNNNNNNNG. So many good choices here, though his injury history puts me off. won't put the Browns off though. My number one choice for bust of the draft.

7. :Cardinals: Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

There is a guy I'm sure Arians is salivating over, but it's too soon to grab him. However, the third can't miss LT prospect is here at the number 7 slot and the Cards need to pull the trigger. The blocking they had was an utter joke... this is the first step to becoming respectable.

8. :Lions: trade with :Bills: Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama

Dear god, this guy just gives me the biggest raging boner when I watch him play. Great power and physicality means the Lions could have a run game if they wanted to. Oh man, so excited for this kid.

9. :Jets: Star Loutelei, DE/DT, Utah

Heart condition, smart condition, this guy is just too good to pass up. Pair him with Muhammad Wilkerson and you've got the second best 3-4 line in the NFL. JJ Watt, and his two testicles is the first... and nothing can compete with those...

10. Thumbtacks Bjoern Werner, DE, FSU

They need another pass rushing threat outside of Derrick Morgan, and to move Wimbley from DE back to OLB where he thrives. The German wrecking ball will do some serious damage in the AFC South, with a lot of weak RT's to pick on.

11. :Chargers: Demarcus Miliner, CB, Alabama

First corner off the board... eh, what can I say about this guy that's funny... I dunno. He's got great size, great front line speed and played for the best college team in football... so that makes him the best CB prospect. Yep. There isn't a guy I like more.

lies

12. :dolphins: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia

I have a feeling this guy will fall, but any team who passes on him will likely regret it. He works as a DE, or a 3-4 OLB, but I have a feeling teams are watching the Broncos closely and see what they're doing with Von Miller and starting to adapt their SAM's to act in a similar way. Jarvis Jones would be one of the few guys who would pull it off with aplomb.

13. :Bucs: Xavier Rhodes, CB, FSU

Since I could probably complete 20 passes on the Bucs secondary, they need help and urgently. Passing on Mo Claiborne for Barron was probably a bad idea in hindsight, but if Barron does improve... they still need a corner worth a damn. Enter this guy. He's not as good as Miliner.

lies

14. :panthers: Keenan Allen, WR, Cal

This guy is a smart WR, and that is probably the most underrated facet to the all time greats. Guys fall in love with the measurables, but it's the route running that gets you to the elite level and Allen is one of the smoothest in the class. The Panthers need another option at WR bad, if they're gonna spread it out with Newton, he needs the weapons.

15. :Saints: Damontre Moore, OLB, Texas A&M

The inferior Ryan brother gets a decent pass rusher! And all was well in the world. Seriously though, the Saints rush the passer about as well as I fake sanity. There are quite a few red flags about him from his combine, but whatever, the Saints don't shy away from taking a guy because of a poor combine, or even no combine for that matter.

16. :Rams: Sheldon Richardson, DT, Mizzou

And the Rams have just built a scary offensive line, Richardson should help them immensely with their awful run defense, and he gets put between a great pass rusher in Chris Long, and two young up and coming players in Brockers and Robert Quinn who got a few sacks of his own this year. Fisher knows WR's don't win you games, and are scarecly worth the pick. They have a lot of young guys who can step up to fill Amendola's shoes, and guys in the later rounds will probably do just fine.

17. :Vikings: from :Steelers: Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

Life without Percy Harvin is gonna be terrible. Fill the void Cordarelle! Be the best headcase you can be!

18. :Cowboys: DJ Fluker, OT, Alabama

I don't like this guy, but someone will. I just don't see what makes him so good. He's my second pick for biggest bust of this draft.

19. :Giants: Barkevious Mingo, DE, LSU

The Giants are taking a pass rusher? This week in what else is new... The Mighty Minge will hopefully provide the rush they lacked last year with Tuck disappearing and Umenyoira probably leaving.

20. :Bears: Alec Ogletree, MLB, Georgia

I think they fall in love with the body and the talent, and ignore the character concerns that are popping up. They usually don't miss with linebackers though, and I'm inclined to give the man a shot.

21. :Bengals: Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame

Is this a surprising pick? I dunno, but I do know two relevant things. One, Eifert is the prototypical tight end with a great body and great measurables. Two, the Bengals need some weapons for the intermediate and short game, Gresham just isn't that kind of player... but Eifert is. Offense Solved.

22. :Rams: from :Redskins: Kenny Vacarro, S, Texas

And the Rams continue to build up the middle of their defense. If there were a few more linebackers worth a first round look, they might get a guy to make sure Mario Haggan and Rockintosh stay off the field but alas and alack, they simply take the best safety in the class. They took a swing on Jenkins, why not try again with Vacarro?

23. :Steelers: from :Vikings: Alex Okafor, DE, Texas

Pass Rusher no one is really talking about... yeah that sounds like a Steelers move. Great production in college, strong senior bowl, great hands, and scheme versatility. This would be a really good move for a team looking for pass rush this year.

24. :Colts: Matt Elam, S, Florida

You are the second coming of Bob Sanders young man. It'd be nice if he didn't get injured as much, but you have to love his game, even with his small frame.

25. :Seahawks: Johnathan Cooper, G, North Carolina

So many offensive linemen in this class, so many worth taking early. Russell Wilson could use some improved protection in his key second year, and this guy will protect you. He's big, fast, could shift to centre if Max Unger ever went down, and he's just a wall of a man. Of course he's a guard so he almost has to fall to the mid twenties before being considered.

26. :Cardinals: Trade with :Packers: Mike Glennon, QB, NC State

"Bruce, no! Don't make the call! It's still too soon! Wait... did Ted Thompson just jerk off through our phone?"

Excerpts from the 2013 NFL Draft

27. :Texans: Tavon Austin, WR, WVU

This might be the sexiest small WR in the draft. Great speed, even better quickness, he's just so sudden and powerful. I feel like his scheme might slow down his learning curve a bit, but he'll be a great weapon for the Texans who are truly lacking that safety blanket for short passes. Feed the Play Action Potato, matt Schaub!

28. :Broncos: Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington

It's this guy.

Might be a pipe dream if he falls here, but the best thing we can do for our team (besides trading for Darrelle Revis) is getting a young corner who can move down the field quickly. Champ is getting older, and his 4.2 combine speed 15 years ago is probably down to a 4.6 or so. Trufant will definitely see the field immediately, and his coverage skills are already an asset.

29. :Patriots: Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina

In all honesty, they probably trade out of this spot to pick up more first rounders in the future, but I couldn't possibly gain a glance into Belichick's draft madness. I can only hope I guess the guy they want, a big sexy defensive tackle. Note to self, too many sexy DT's in the draft.

30. :Falcons: Kawaan Short, DT, Purdue

Falcons hope to solve their defensive issues by picking up this monster of a man. Here's my third pick for big bust of this draft. He has problems with consistency and work ethic, but all the tools are there to succeed. Guess that part is up to him and Mike Nolan.

31. :Jets: from :49ers: Giovanni Bernard, HB, North Carolina

Yes, this is me predicting the Jets trading Revis away. It'll probably be for a first, a mid round pick, and maybe a small pittance like a backup linebacker or a 7th round pick. In any case, Gio Bernard is explosive, a threat on third down and secretly the best running back in this class. Which isn't saying much because he's not nearly the prospect Richardson was last year. May not be a bad thing though, Scouts generally get running backs wrong.

32. :Ravens: Johnthan Banks, CB, Miss State

Newsome is just gonna take the best prosepct who falls to them here. I think it's the 4th corner on the board, but it could potentially be a NT prospect like Johnathan Hankins or John Jenkins, a WR on the cusp like Justin Hunter or DeAndre Hopkins, or maybe even the Catfish himself, who I'm neglecting to have an opinion on because the pure linebackers in this class suck balls. In any case, he'll fill the void Cary Williams leaves when free agency comes around, and settle in nicely with Webb and Jimmy Smith. Ravens love the shitty combine players because the combine sucks the football player out a guy.

Now, MOCK IT!

Edited by RazorStar

Dion Jordan won't be a bust dude is a beast and played most this season with a torn labrum and still put up numbers. He will have surgery but will be fit for TC just needs to bulk up 10-20lbs on that shoulder and he will be fine.

Shame they don't have Kameron Wembley as that would of been a nice LB corps for the Browns

Props for having balls and getting creative. As well as acknowledging Rhodes > Milliner. Oh yeah, and calling the Tacks by their rightful name :yep: I like you getting Short up in the late 1st round too, other people are sleeping on him in their mocks.

One criticism I'll say is if you meant Okafor had a strong Senior Bowl as in the the game itself, you're wrong, because he didn't play in the Senior Bowl. He was a late scratch with a hip injury I believe. But he DOMINATED in practice. So if you meant practice, you're correct. That as against Fisher too. They went back and forth, each winning battles. I like him better than Werner in a classic 4-3 system. Especially since he has the best hands in terms of pass rush moves out of all players in the draft. He's surprisingly quick to the QB too. Metrics stack up as him being the best DE in the draft actually. Mingo a close 2nd.

I generally mean the week when I say Senior Bowl, coaches care more about the practices I think, since it gives you an idea of how that player looks in those situations. And Okafor looked good.

I generally mean the week when I say Senior Bowl, coaches care more about the practices I think, since it gives you an idea of how that player looks in those situations. And Okafor looked good.

Ziggy struggled hard in practice in contrast. Interesting. But then again, Lions figured out he excelled in space. Put him in the wide nine line up and he exploded. Lions might be a dark horse for Ziggy in the 1st.

Because Fisher is a GMRNS. Both of those tackles are really close, and along with Lane Johnson I don't think you miss on either of those guys, but I like Fisher because of his mobility and his technical skill... which are also reasons why I like Joeckel, but Fisher more so.

Cordarelle Patterson is the best WR in this draft and would be a gift if he fell to the Vikings, I could see the Panthers or Rams taking him before that point. The Rams still need a #1 WR to go with Givens and Amendola. Quick may develop into a decent WR.