Sign in to follow this  
WindyCitySports

My Republican Senator supports freedom to marry

Proud to be from Illinois today:

(CNN) - Sen. Mark Kirk of Illinois, a socially moderate Republican, announced on Tuesday his support for same-sex marriage, becoming the second Republican in the chamber to support it.

"Same-sex couples should have the right to civil marriage," he wrote in a statement. "Our time on this earth is limited, I know that better than most. Life comes down to who you love and who loves you back - government has no place in the middle."

Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio became the first Republican in the U.S. Senate to endorse same-sex marriage. He announced last month that he was swayed on the issue by his son, who told his family he was gay.

Seven of the 55 Democratic senators have not endorsed same-sex marriage. Sen. Tom Carper, D-Delaware, announced his support earlier on Tuesday.

“Senator Kirk and Senator Carper have shown tremendous leadership in announcing their support for marriage equality," said Chad Griffin, the president of the pro-gay rights group Human Rights Campaign. "It is a sign of our progress that so many of their colleagues are showing the same political will. Democrat or Republican, there can simply be no excuse for standing on the wrong side of history when it comes to this basic question of justice.”

Full article: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/02/republican-sen-kirk-endorses-same-sex-marriage/

Guest Phailadelphia
"I am changing my stance on this now," he wrote in a statement, "because if not I probably won't be re-elected in 2016."

Fixed. ;)

Fixed. ;)

I don't know how much you know about Mark Kirk, but he has been representing me in Washington since 2001 (8 years in Congress, 3 years in the Senate) and this is honest. To be honest, he has been in favor of this for awhile and never endorsed it for party purposes. He has gotten great rating from socially liberal organizations, and I don't want to spread dirt on him because I like him a lot, but people have suspected that he could be a closet homosexual. This may have helped him politically, but it is a truthful and honst endorsement.

Guest Phailadelphia

Oh ok, well that's different. I (wrongly) assumed he was just another formerly anti-gay marriage politician suddenly changing his views to get himself re-elected. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I don't know how much you know about Mark Kirk, but he has been representing me in Washington since 2001 (8 years in Congress, 3 years in the Senate) and this is honest. To be honest, he has been in favor of this for awhile and never endorsed it for party purposes. He has gotten great rating from socially liberal organizations, and I don't want to spread dirt on him because I like him a lot, but people have suspected that he could be a closet homosexual. This may have helped him politically, but it is a truthful and honst endorsement.

He also had a stroke roughly 18 months ago or so, and worked very hard to get back to work representing people like you Windy, very impressive that he had the will and motivation to do that! :clap:

Did you vote for him the previous time that he was up for re-election? :shrug:

He also had a stroke roughly 18 months ago or so, and worked very hard to get back to work representing people like you Windy, very impressive that he had the will and motivation to do that! :clap:

Did you vote for him the previous time that he was up for re-election? :shrug:

I respect the hell out of him. I was not of voting age in 2010, but if he runs again in 2016, I will give him my vote, my public support, and possibly my money. He is the definition of a public servant because he is willing to put his health and his personal interests aside to do what is best for his people.

50354_173954249287715_122625_n.jpg

Consider it an endorsement.

I respect the hell out of him. I was not of voting age in 2010, but if he runs again in 2016, I will give him my vote, my public support, and possibly my money. He is the definition of a public servant because he is willing to put his health and his personal interests aside to do what is best for his people.

50354_173954249287715_122625_n.jpg

Consider it an endorsement.

I couldn't agree more with everything that you have said. :yep:

:rock: Sen. Kirk :rock:

• Upvote 1

I hope more Republicans begin supporting it. I am a registered Republican and I think gays should be able to marry.

I hope more Republicans begin supporting it. I am a registered Republican and I think gays should be able to marry.

Milla, do you consider yourself to be more fiscally conservative, but generally "liberal" or more left leaning on social issues? :shrug:

Milla, do you consider yourself to be more fiscally conservative, but generally "liberal" or more left leaning on social issues? :shrug:

Probably, but it depends on issue to issue.

Probably, but it depends on issue to issue.

What particular issues do you have a "conservative" or right leaning view on, and "liberal" or left leaning view on, generally speaking?