Sign in to follow this  
Omerta

How do you feel about loading an established position ?

This is something I have been pondering since TGP's mock. How would you feel about taking a strength of your team and making it unreal ? Not so much at QB like Rodgers and Brady and so on because they will never see the field on the same time. But for instance you have somewhere like Detroit where Calvin Johnson is amazing. Then make the position unreal, and trade down and get patterson, then trade back up and grab Kennan Allen. Then if a guy like Marquie Goodwin is there late take him. SO that way there is absolutely no way any team can cover all your receivers. Now granted it may not fall like that, but I could only imagine that as a 4 WR set with reggie out of the backfield.

Obvioulsy it neglects other team needs but, but think about it. Sticking with the Lions, next year the Lions are in the market for lineman which you can pick up late and early so you dedicate three picks to that and now you have a great o line, franchise QB and an unreal WR corps. Then the next take two D lineman and two LB's which can also be had almost anywhere in the draft and some FA manuevering and it seems like in 3 years with some crafty GM work you could be an unreal team.

It has not been done yet to my knowledge and I wonder how it would work is all and what you would think if your team did it. Do it with any team with a real strentgh or superstar at a position. The Texans could take, Sheldon Richardson and then gran John Jenkins at NT and boom epic D line. Come back and grab a guy like BWW and BW Webb and then that defense become insane. Take the Saints and add Da Rick Rogers and Tyler Eifert and so on. I would love the Ravens to do this just once to see how it goes, but I was just wondering what do you think of the premise ?

I don't think you should go into a draft with that strategy. Maybe you do with your first pick. If that was how the board fell and you were grabbing those players where you thought they we're extremely valuable then fine, but in any other situation it's a bad idea.

Why ?

Because it doesn't really work. The closest I can think of is the Giants, but Osi and Tuck were 3rd round picks and they didn't pick JPP until Strahan retired. The Packers have all those WR's but they didn't take ANY of them in the first round. Then you have situations like Detroit with their WR's and Carolina with all their RB's.

Because it doesn't really work. The closest I can think of is the Giants, but Osi and Tuck were 3rd round picks and they didn't pick JPP until Strahan retired. The Packers have all those WR's but they didn't take ANY of them in the first round. Then you have situations like Detroit with their WR's and Carolina with all their RB's.

But it has worked for the pack and Giants no ?

But it has worked for the pack and Giants no ?

Yeah but they didn't go all in for one draft class at one position like you're talking about.

Yeah but they didn't go all in for one draft class at one position like you're talking about.

The result however would have been the same. Only faster, so they could have moved on faster. Really the only positions that would take a whole draft would be your lines and WR's. After that you could pretty much just maintain. I dont know but appreciate the feedback.

Think about having 6 quality interior OL. Wouldn't you be a more dangerous team with 3 interior OL and 3 interior DL? Or some tackles? Also, steel sharpens steel. You need diversity for it to spread. 6 guards might improve your DL play but 3 and 3 would improve both. :) I'm saying man sharpens man, as in how Suh can take some credit in DET for improving our OLplay. Practicing against talent rubs off... more often than not.

Ok not to the point where you have 6 guards lol. Only the amount fo players you can have on the field. Like with The saints if they were to take Lane Johson and Menelik Watson or something. So that way you have johnson-grubbs-random Center-Evans-Watson. A super stout line.

The draft is a crap shoot anyway, so drafting heavy the same position just furthers your chance of hitting on something big.

Also, I heavily believe in pairing. Two elite pass rushers, two big time receivers, etc, are extraordinarily hard to defend, and should be coveted, rather than balance. It's pretty much what I did in this year's draft with the Lions in the draft thing.

Not saying you should reach to make a team better, nor am I saying trading up, because rarely is trading up is worth it, but there's nothing wrong with trying to stack up on one position as long as it's not QB or something (unless you don't have a franchise QB).

It was an example to illustrate putting all your eggs in one basket in the NFL world.

That was a bad example. It has worked in the psat just not done consciously I think.