FartWaffles

Will the white QB eventually become a minority?

Haha yeah I'm starting to realize that! The whole "White QB minority" thing wasn't the best way of going about it! :laugh:

My original intention wasn't to compare black vs. white, but more just to point out that it's good to see black quarterbacks making more of a presence in the NFL compared to years past when most were never given a real chance. For example, Warren Moon having to prove himself in the CFL primarily because of the color of his skin.

Obvious statement is obvious.

As a fellow Texans fan I am curious about what opinion regarding Matt Schaub is?

IMO Moon did not have to go to the CFL because the color of his skin. He went there for the same reason Doug Flutie did. He needed to develop into a solid pocket passer and was not ready for a starting NFL QB job.

Edited by Nitrofish

Moon and Flutie were very different. The Bills had the top pick in Flutie's draft and were considering taking him (picked Bruce Smith instead thankfully). Instead Flutie went to the USFL and rode the bench in the NFL until going to the CFL.

NFL teams weren't interested in Moon, and I think race had a lot to do with it. NFL teams don't think that black people can't be qb anymore, but that definitely wasn't the mindset back then.

Moon and Flutie were very different. The Bills had the top pick in Flutie's draft and were considering taking him (picked Bruce Smith instead thankfully). Instead Flutie went to the USFL and rode the bench in the NFL until going to the CFL.

NFL teams weren't interested in Moon, and I think race had a lot to do with it. NFL teams don't think that black people can't be qb anymore, but that definitely wasn't the mindset back then.

I respectfully disagree. The history of black quarterbacks in professional football is complicated. As recently as 2007, the New York Giants had never had a black quarterback throw even a single pass. On the other hand, as far back as 1921, Frederick Douglass "Fritz" Pollard not only quarterbacked the Akron Pros, but was also the first black head coach in NFL history.

Ever heard of a guy named Doug Williams? Williams was the only starting Africa-American QB in the NFL back then. Williams played from 1978-1989 and was the first African-American QB to play in the Super Bowl, and obviously win it. He was also named MVP. In addition Williams was selected 17th overall in the 1978 draft. The same year that Moon went undrafted and ultimately to the CFL.That shows it was not all about skin color, but rather people did not think Moon had what it took to be an NFL QB, but boy did he eventually prove them wrong!

There very well may have been some racial issues with a few owners in regards to whether Moon was drafted or not, but then why did Doug Williams go 17th overall in the 1978 draft when prior to that no black QB had ever been selected before the 6th round of the NFL draft?

Those interested in learning more should read The History of the Black Quarterback in the NFL

IMO until non white QBs start winning Super Bowls then the white QB still owns the NFL.

Bridgewater will be Brown. gayflag.gif

@Jules, that's a pretty ignorant statement. I'm not going to neg you without words why, I'll just say that's a pretty silly thing to say.

Re: Warren Moon. He was underwhelming at Washington in the NCAA. Though he did win the Rose Bowl (MVP) and go 10-2 his senior year. Before that he went 11-11. His collective competition percentage was a poor 49%. He simply didn't impress scouts enough, and had to hone his passing ability in the CFL to earn his spot in the NFL. He simply progressed each year until he became the high flying passer we all know. As Nitro pointed out, Williams went in the 1st, rest assured race had little factor in Moon going undrafted.

• Upvote 1

@Jules, that's a pretty ignorant statement. I'm not going to neg you without words why, I'll just say that's a pretty silly thing to say.

Didn't mean to offend, sorry about that. I was kinda joking around in this thread too with my posts due to the thread topic, but I realize nobody here knows my posting styles. :p

I have nothing against QBs who are not white. Several of them right now are ridiculous talents.